PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lankan Airlines - low hour pilots

AKAFresh
20th Jun 2007, 17:40
Hi there,

I have recently finished my flight training in the UK (fATPL - CPL/IR), and wanted to know if there are any opportunitiesto work for Sri Lankan airlines being a low hour pilot (only 235 hrs).

Im aware they have already in place a cadet program for pilots via the engineering schools, however;

Do Sri Lankan airlines take on low hour cadets who are NOT type rated on the A320?

I was born and currently live in the UK, my parents are Sri lankan but I hold a British passport. Does this rule me out of working in Sri Lanka all together?? Will i need to get Dual passports if i wish to work there?

I would be grateful for any advice/information.

AkAFresh

sholva
21st Jun 2007, 04:53
AKAfresh,

To get selected to the SL Airlines Cadet Pilot programme you do not need a A320 type rating. In fact they will provide you with a type rating as part of your cadet pilot training.

As far as hours are concerned, all that is required is a Sri Lankan CPL/IR and a Muliti Engine Rating. (i.e.your 235 hours will be sufficient) So you'll need to get your UK CPL converted to a SL CPL.

Having a British passport wont rule you out but NOT having a Sri Lankan passport will. Because you need to be a Sri Lankan citizen inorder to be eligible. So it would be a good idea to get your dual citizenship if you want to apply for Sri Lankan Airlines.

Hope this information was helpful...

Regards,
Sholva.

roxar
21st Jun 2007, 08:10
do u know which airline hire a low hour pilot or a fresh graduated pilot i mean...

AKAFresh
21st Jun 2007, 11:36
Hi Sholva,

Thanks for the information...

Would you know what the bond period is if you got through the program?

Also what are the conditions on offer ie

1) What's the roster like including days off?
2) Apporx number of hours per year
3) Bond period - how long?
4) F/O salary (net approx. figures would be grateful please)?
5) Pension scheme if any and other benefits?
6) Assessment.. details on interview/sim check for the program please...

Thanks for your time... any advise/information would be appreciated alot!

AKA

AKAFresh
21st Jun 2007, 13:17
Thanks Sholva...

Wow 40 hours per month thats not much at all.... 480 for the year no wonder the bond is 5 years!... you will need it! :rolleyes:

ab334
22nd Jun 2007, 07:02
Hi sholva,
is 2000$ the basic salary or any other allowances ex meals,layover,education etc.Is there any reductions from the monthly salary for type rating.any feedback would be appreciated.

And by the way anyone knows whent he next cadet intake is????????

thanx.

possumshagger
25th Jun 2007, 06:35
Hi Guys, Not sure if this will help, but Royal Brunei have in the past taken on JFO's for their 767 fleet and now for there A320s. Not sure whether they take direct entry FO's or they may have to go through Rishworth to get a type rating first. Not the best company to work for as lots of internal politics, but if it gets you on the jet ladder then thats pretty good.

Quite a few FOs get promoted on the 767 fleet when they get the required experience, but this doesn't seem to happen on the Airbus fleet.
They tend to take direct entry Captains, but these guys tend not to stay too long due to management problems within the company, plus I think they get s**** a little to much.:ugh:

possumshagger
29th Jun 2007, 13:50
Sorry guys, thought RBA might have been a good start for some off you, but just been informed that they have recently been particularly bad with employment conditions, in particular towards expat F/O's. Just looking for excuses I think to get rid of them and only recruit locals, beware:cool:
In the past they have got rid of Capt's through various means, but looks like they are going down the ladder now!

AKAFresh
5th Jul 2007, 16:10
$2000 dollars seems rather low especially if before taxes.... is this the basic with flight/duty pay on top?

Even for Srilankan standards this is some what low... feel free to blow me out of the water on this one!

Aka

kwaiyai
5th Jul 2007, 16:50
AKAFresh,
Dont take this the wrong way but stop thinking in UK Ster Mate,
Feel free to PM me, Regards.

Left Wing
6th Jul 2007, 08:00
www.mihinlanka.com they are looking for pilots

KSharp
23rd Jul 2007, 12:59
$2000 a month for a junior F/O? Holy wow. Even for only 40 hrs a month, a salary like that on an Airbus jet is pretty low. I'm making that wage flying a Navajo in Canada.

I was going to do this program also as my parents are Sri Lankan, but because I am Canadian born and have Canadian citizenship only, it wouldn't work out. There are 3 ways to get around it.

1) Hold some sort of fixed asset (ie land or property)

2) Hold a university degree

3) You pay a sort of deposit of $25,000, which they hold for a year or something (i may have gotten that part wrong or mixed up)

If I can remember correctly those were the conditions that needed to be met. (or any 1 of those conditions).

In either case, jumping into an Airbus 320 with only 235 hours probably wont do much for your career. You'll be an f/o for life because they wont give you command time. I could have gotten my citizenship done by this year and ready to get into the cadet program but then I decided I wanted to get experience by working my way up from a Navajo to bigger and better things, and get my command time while I'm at it. I didnt want to miss out flying King Air's and 1900's before I get into fully automated machines :P

seriously though, think about it. Cadet programs are great if you want to get on a jet, but with 200 or so hours, you'll probably not get to see the left seat for YEARS.

Cheers and good luck :)

ab334
21st Aug 2007, 17:38
Is It True There Is Going To Be A Intake In November

tropaco
29th Aug 2007, 10:21
UL and Mihin Lanka...?
Does anybody know when the next cadet intake for UL will be as I have heard a rumour that it will be at towards the end of the yr towards Nov or early Dec - but as always this may depend upon available TRE's.
Also does anybody have any info on joining Mihin Lanka are the aircraft wet leased or do they take on low time Lankan pilots with A320 type ratings?
Any info would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.
:ok: