PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a first Whirl

bigfoot01
20th Jun 2007, 11:33
My good lady wife bought me a Helicopter Lesson with Alpha out of Sheffield - 1 hour, which I am taking this weekend subject to weather! I am desperate not to like it, as it looks more expensive than fixed wing, however, I was just wondering if anybody had any tips to get the most out of the lesson, e.g. where to ask to go, what to ask to do?

Also, should I invest in a helicopter log book, and start picking up hours here and there, or is that a very bad plan in terms of progressing towards a PPL(H)?

Whirlygig
20th Jun 2007, 12:16
You can log the trial lesson but unless you know you want to do a PPL(H), I wouldn't bother with a separate log book. AN hour's flying here and there is, I'm afraid, a very bad way of getting a PPL - you'd waste money that way because you would have to relearn things each time you flew.

If you do enjoy it, save up and get a PPL in one go on a structured course (i.e. once/twice a week or full-time maybe?) but also have some idea as to how you would maintain the licence as well.

Above all - relax! Do not tense your legs and feet up on the pedals like I did otherwise, when you jump out afterwards, your thighs have gone all wobbly and you fall over!

Cheers

Whirls

Al Smith
20th Jun 2007, 12:42
My girlfriend bought me a trial lesson (20mins) in an R22 for my birthday. Eight months and £17k later I attained my PPL. I was hooked from the moment we took off. Be careful it is addictive but in my opinion one of the best things I have ever done in my life.

Cumulogranite
20th Jun 2007, 15:04
I am now nearing my fixed wing ppl at long last, but I have had a couple of goes in the whirly machines. Best way of summing it up is "the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!" (certainly for a whole hour anyway).

I fly fixed out of Sheffield City, and Alpha come well reccomended. However owing to the "nimbys" locally, especially the lady that took exception to flying ops on Easter Sunday, the village of Treeton is now pretty much a no go area. So your approach back to the field will seem to be a bit "round the houses", indeed talking to a heli instructor today who tells me that he has now taken EGSY off his places to send students list because of this.

Sheffield has a great location though, to get the most out of the experience, ask about a trip round the dambusters route. The resevoirs where 617 squadron practiced are close by and by all accouts the heli trip down the water is fantastic. Not only will you get to experience heli flying but also be able to see a bit of our great aviation history as well. That is my two penneth anyway.

Humaround
20th Jun 2007, 17:10
A friend is about to have his first trial lesson in an R22. He seems keen to go on to PPL(H) and he asked me if it would be better (read cheaper) to get a FW PPL, then convert to Heli, or go for Heli from the go? I had no idea so thought I'd ask here...

Would it be daft to learn to fly FW and get all that aimanship, Nav, radio etc etc fluent before wrestling with the roatry way of doing things?

Whirlygig
20th Jun 2007, 19:32
It wouldn't be daft but it would be more expensive. If we assume that someone does a PPL(A) in minimum hours at £100/hour, that would cost £4,500. This will only exempt them from a maximum of 6 hours from PPL(H) i.e. 39 hours at £200. The remaining 6 hours in the helicopter would only cost £1,200.

I've never flown fixed wing so I can't comment whether the airmanship really did eat that much into my capacity. However, it takes an average student longer to complete a PPL(H) than a PPL(A). 60-70 is not uncommon.

Cheers

Whirls

bigfoot01
20th Jun 2007, 20:00
Thanks for the advice - I am a PPL(A) I fly out of Sheffield City, so I will advise how I get on! Further tips, like relax legs are most welcomed!

The Nr Fairy
20th Jun 2007, 20:56
Relax everything, enjoy - don't take it too seriously because you won't be going solo afterwards :)

Ask the instructor who flies with you if you can see stuff which shows off the helicopter - autorotations, quickstops, hovering, perhaps even a confined area approach if there's time.

I say again - don't take it too seriously but you will enjoy it !