PDA

View Full Version : work in Bots and Tanz

serge
2nd Oct 2001, 09:58
G'day all. Just looking for info on working in Botswana. In particular Delta Air. I would appreciate any info at all, on permits and conversion from Australian licence. Also what are the prospects like for someone with 900 hours, most of my time is C210 in charter ops in the bush. Also info on Tanzania would come in handy.

Thanks.

Jockflyer
2nd Oct 2001, 13:36
I've recently come back from Maun, Bots.

With your experience, I would have thought you would have no problem getting work. Most flying is on C206/C210, also a couple of Islanders and Caravans.
Delta Air have mostly Oz and Kiwi pilots so you should be fine.
I would suggest sending your CV a few weeks before you go out there. The hiring process is basically hanging out with the pilots for a few weeks, going on some flights with them, and if they like you you're in.
They will then start your training (unpaid), which entails 50hrs RHS, which is a legal requirement before P1 in Bots. The permits for residence and labour, take a while to come through (2months ish). Pay will typically be 5000 pula per month, which is plently to live on if you have no debts.

Most of the after work drinking is in the Bull n Bush pub, thats were to meet the pilots. Friday night is SportsBar night, which is a great laugh.

I would suggest that the best time to go out is just after Xmas, just before most of the hiring is done for the new season.

Email me if you need/want more info.

Good luck

baronvonmildred
3rd Oct 2001, 01:18
Hi Jockflyer

Sounds like you know about flying in Africa. I've done a bit myself, mainly in Zambia & Congo. How about swapping some notes?

Your email address seems to be blocked, but you could try mine.

ChocolateStarfish
4th Oct 2001, 11:30
hello boys, good to find some African adventure jocks, for the Aussie, Stay away from TZ at all cost, unless you like dud equipment and puting your life on the line everyday for loosers. Spent some time out there myself, and really is frontier stuff, but you will pay the ultimate price, its just a matter of time. Havinng said that there are a couple of decent outfits (by TZ standards that is) Norththern Air in Arusha, C208 and C402 and Air Excell think their on the web.Stay Turbine whatever you do.

JOckflyer, how was your congo stuff, very rarely got to venture that way for obvious reasons but would love to hear your take on it all.Know in GLA flying Otters, what a pleasure.

Beaten paths are for beaten men.

baronvonmildred
7th Oct 2001, 19:56
chocolate starfish
I think you meant to refer to me about flying in Congo. When I went to TZ it seemed quite good (was only a visit though). Perhaps that says something about flying in Congo. Will say that the plane I flew was good though. It belonged to a Congo based mission org who maintained it to a high standard.

If you want to talk some more try my email. I don't check this site often enough.

Speedjeans
9th Oct 2001, 20:40
The only good thing about TZ was ChocolateStarfish fish chowder!
Hi mate start mt FI course on the 5th Nov down in bournemouth...
Spk soon ****head
Cheers Bwana
SJ's :cool:

cpt hamna sheeda
22nd Oct 2001, 14:29
Sppedjeans,

did you fly for Ptere Burns (Kinasi)?

Kwa Heri

austra1998
22nd Oct 2001, 19:41
i did work for Peter ....cool guy...the problem is that he does not pay.....i left after one month.
the same for the guy after me.

ciao

Alex

mali
23rd Oct 2001, 02:17
How can he be a 'cool guy' if he dosen't pay?? :rolleyes:

TUI
23rd Oct 2001, 04:19
Hay mali check your private messages mate.

Leviathan
24th Oct 2001, 04:06
Jock, Baron and ChocStarFish

Some Q's if I may

Do you guys know of any civilian CASA 212 operators in the region?

Hard to find work? Casa, King Air and Twin Otter Rated.

Thanks

Leviathan

Speedjeans
25th Oct 2001, 16:38
Yer I got stiched up by Peter alright, he thinks that he can get away with that sort of **** but one day someone's going to put a bullet in the bumholes head.
This is the main problem with MOST but not all of the companies in TZ they think they can do this to people but word soon gets around and people go else where...
Very sad would loved to have flown for a couple of years in TZ before heading home.
Cheers
SJ's
:p

MMestdagh
26th Oct 2001, 14:33
Hi out there,

Looking for pilot job on the southern hemisphere of afrique any suggestions? TT is around 450 hrs (piston eng)A mate is leaving Belgium in about 2 weeks, I will follow in a month.

Cheers

austra1998
29th Oct 2001, 19:32
Hi Mali....

i always try to look at the positive things in a person...in Peter i have found something...many others...not even that.

he does not pay....and i left...but at least i did not have to get close to a street fight...like it happen with an idiot in comores islands

serge
13th Nov 2001, 04:32
G'day again. Thanks for the info jock. Just wondering if there is any other work to be had in bots. while you wait for a flying slot? How much does it cost to live over there per week, say in $US? But I mean really doing it cheap.

Thanks again.

Minima
14th Nov 2001, 18:55
Hi there you all!!!Any news on contract F/O jobs on the F-27's? I have an FAA/ICAO frozen CPL/IR with 2150 tt and 1950 on F-27's.Any positive replies would be highly appreciated.