PDA

View Full Version : Firefox: mandatory add ons?

Keith Discovering
20th Jun 2007, 07:38
I'm keen to change to Firefox as my Browser, but when i tried six months ago, I couldn't get it to work on many Websites. Specifically, security type payment or work related java sites. Would someone please suggest settings and / or add ons that I'll need for this to work as well as IE7 or my current Browser; Avant?

Thanks in advance Gents

KD

Crosshair
20th Jun 2007, 08:10
I use:

- DownThemAll (download helper).
- Scrapbook (offline reader, bookmarker, and general organizer)
- AutoCopy (semi-useful copy enhancement)
- Kodak Companion (thing for uploading photos to Kodak site)

Saab Dastard
20th Jun 2007, 11:30
I use Firefox and have never had any problems with secure sites, or java, for payment or any other kind of activity.

The only site I have encountered problems with is the MS website - for some reason it doesn't allow me to use the Security & Update tools with Firefox! Now I wonder why that would be? :hmm:

I only have adblock and proxy changer plug-ins, AFAIR.

SD

Gonzo
20th Jun 2007, 12:51
Likewise I've never had any problems with Firefox.

I use the following add ons:

Better GMail
Better GReader
Stylish

I've also added a custom toolbar I found which among other things has the local weather, and a facility to check my GMail account every minute and alert me to new emails, so I don't have to keep GMail open in a tab refreshing all the time.

FlightDetent
20th Jun 2007, 14:23
Definitely:
Adblock Plus - but do NOT FORGET TO WHITELIST PPRUNE!
PDF Download
IE Tab - to enable quick switching to IE rendering core
Fire FTP - if you have a use for a FTP client
Fast Video Download - to save streamed videos

bnt
20th Jun 2007, 15:10
I really like NoScript (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722): stops any and all JavaScript from running, which cuts out the main browser annoyances. In the current version you can choose to allow scripts on the site you browsed to (whatever it was), just not 3rd-party add-on scripts - which means that "Web 2.0" type sites usually work fine. It also has an "untrusted" list, to permanently blacklist known rubbish such as trackers or ad scripts.

Another useful one is PDF Download (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636): why would I ever want a PDF to be displayed inside Firefox, where the navigation keys don't work? :rolleyes:

green granite
20th Jun 2007, 17:07
I use
No Script, but you do need to remember to unlock java for some sites to work
British English Dictionary
Flashgot
Key Scrambler
Foxyproxy.

Keef
21st Jun 2007, 00:00
There is an enormous list of possible add-ins for Firefox. I insist on NoScript, to protect against nasties. Adblock is useful. I have a British English dictionary for spellchecking, and Forecastfox which gives today's and the next two days' weather for "Home airfield" in the toolbar.

The plugins that are essential are Java (for all those clever pages) and often QuickTime (for the alternative breed).

Once NoScript has learned the sites you use regularly (and trust), it's not a problem. For the first few days, it's a bit like a first install of ZoneAlarm.

G-BOY
21st Jun 2007, 20:57
If you want to hide out on the internet, you can get Torpark, which is built on the firefox platform - although you don't need firefox to run it, for those of you who don't already have it.

This is the problem with microsoft stuff - it's default so people usually use it, which means that microsoft can get away with it. *Ahem* Microsoft Office *ahem*

However, more and more people are now starting to discover that macs are better - and if more companies switch to it, Bill Gates and Co. are certainly going to have a 'run for their money' :}

bnt
21st Jun 2007, 22:04
(Macs? Overpriced, at least here in Europe, not worth the "Mac Tax". :hmm: I'm posting this from a 5-year old Compaq laptop running Ubuntu Linux, and it's been a complete pleasure compared to the "learning experiences" I got from other distros . If performance was a problem I could use the minimalist Xubuntu version, but it's not been necessary.)

Another Firefox add-on I like is Foxmarks - synchronize your bookmarks between multiple machines or accounts, automatically.

G-BOY
21st Jun 2007, 22:36
Actually, for what you get in a mac, it's well worth it. Especially if you're a novice to computing, because it's easier to learn on a mac than a PC, because whereas with a Mac, there's only one way to do things - with a PC, there's usually 5 or 6 ways of getting anything done, which can be daunting for a new user.

Plus, you know that when you get a mac, it'll run your software, because it's been developed for the machine.

If you're going to pick on a mac, don't pick on it's price or performance. Pick on compactability - most people make programs for windows, and not macs - which is a problem for a mac user. It used to be that when somebody made a program, there were two installations - so you didn't need to purchase two versions. That might be coming back in, now that most programs are reducing file sizes - which allows a computer to run faster.

You may think PC's are cheaper, but in reality, you're getting a lot less. My parents bought my brother a Compaq Presario. Sure, it was around £300 and 'brand new' but it doesn't have even half the memory or RAM my computer, or my laptop have.

And if you install something, you gotta think about RAM and memory, and make adjustments for it to work well.

This is why building your own is a good idea....especailly as PC World isn't selling you a computer, it's selling you a garantee so you can only take it back to them. If you use a local company to start with, they'll be lumbered with work, so they don't put the bugs that PC World puts in, meaning less breakdown, meaning you also pay less.

Of course, you could always build your own - nothing beats having almost 10 terabyes at your disposal, especially when you can charge people to store stuff on the space you'll never in a million years fill up yourself. :rolleyes:

Keith Discovering
23rd Jun 2007, 08:26
Thank you all for your suggestions for Firefox add ons. Works lke a dream.

Gboy: I couldn't find Torpark on the Firefoxc add on search. If i try and download Tor from Dubai, I get blocked links etc. It just won't download and install in Dubai.

Any ideas please?

cheers again

Saab Dastard
23rd Jun 2007, 10:18
There are certain countires in the world that impose internet censorship, to a greater or lesser extent.

It is possible that Dubai has decided that you shouldn't access that site. Similar blocks are put on Skype, for example.

SD

Keith Discovering
23rd Jun 2007, 17:08
Dear Saab,
That's true here in Dubai and why I can't download it. Is there any other site I can d/l the programme from or a Firefox addon that incorporates it? I searched the add on site, but to no avail
Thanks again guys

Saab Dastard
23rd Jun 2007, 18:29
This (http://www.xerobank.com/products.html) is the location that I can download it from. If you can't get it from here, what is the largest email attachment size you can receive? It is 11.5MB.

SD

Jhieminga
25th Jun 2007, 19:50
Useful Firefox add-ins:
- Adblock, keeps annoying advertisements away.
- Fasterfox, supposed to increase surfing speed and while it may not always matter much, worth a try.
- Adblock Filterset G updater, keeps Adblock updated.
- Flashgot, great downloading tool.
- Forecast Fox, just a nice toy really, provides weather info on your status bar.
- Tabbrowser preferences, a must for me, keeps all tabs in one window instead of loading new windows.
- Opanda IExif, shows Exif info on images via the right click menu (not available through Mozilla I think, Googling it will get you a link).
- Videodownloader, enables you to save copies of online videos

Selfloading
2nd Jul 2007, 18:54
"IE tab" useful for the odd website that insists on internet explorer.