PDA

View Full Version : Seniority List ???

Stratojet
20th Jun 2007, 00:24
Was wondering just who a seniority list was supposed to protect...was under the impression it was the pilots, however giving it some thought it appears if it play's straight into company hands. Cat B,C etc seems to negate advancement and "voting with your feet" isn't an option, who wants to start at the bottom again? Who's idea was it anyway and why is it (as far as I know) just an airline thing?

Dan Winterland
20th Jun 2007, 02:02
Seniority lists are good for those with seniority! And the companys like them because they know that their pilots with experience won't leave. As a pilot, it's a good policy for protecting your interests, but does tend to restrict you to working for one company most of your life. The system is a bit archaic. Imagine a Barrister having to become an article clerk again just because he swaps law firms or a consultant doctor becoming a junior houseman again because he changes hospitals.

The chain is only broken when a company such as Easyjet or Emirates who don't have promotion based on seniority, or a company who starts or expands rapidly (Oasis, Jetstar) who needs DECs, starts recruiting. A situation we have now it seems!

PS. I have quite a lot of seniority, therefore I think it's a good thing!

jtr
20th Jun 2007, 02:08
Dan, Dan, Dan, it's not about how big it is, it's about how you use it.

Stratojet
20th Jun 2007, 03:19
"Seniority lists are good for those with seniority!".......yes, provided you are happy with CoS, pay, etc. otherwise just further to fall if you want to move elsewhere. Would it be fair to say those with higher seniority would be more inclined to accept reduced CoS rather than leave?

sizematters
20th Jun 2007, 07:10
Cathay has the best of both worlds..................

Seniority when it suit......................

Ignore it when it doesn't.....................

we all think seniority was invented by pilots for our protection..............

WRONG,,,,It was invented by employers to control the crew...............

Nothing works better than a FREE MARKET.........................

Yeager
20th Jun 2007, 07:49
In Cathay the Seniority list is mainly good for the company. Just ask the 49ers. I most other airlines its good and bad for both parties involved. :}

The Messiah
20th Jun 2007, 11:07
Sorry but what is the connection between the 49ers and the seniority list? Apart from the fact they were on one.

Yeager
21st Jun 2007, 00:01
That in CX the seniority list does not provide the same protection, to seniors, that it does at other respectable airlines. Sorry thought the connection was quite obvious - guess not. (Scroll up to start of topic and read "protection") :D

volarecantare
11th Feb 2008, 04:11
Messiah, think the point was the the Seniority list did not protect any of the 49ers who seemed to be hand picked strategically by CX (probably as advised by consultants) to
1. achieve max damage to the moral of pilot body and diffuse their IR confidence :ouch:
2. Get rid of what they may have considered some troublesome or inefficient pilots at the same time. :oh:
3 The demographic spread of the 49s also meant everyone in CX would relate to someone who was let go.:eek:

It proved an effective short term solution for the company but boy have they been paying in headaches ever since.....Now, nothing they do is trusted by the majority of their pilots and for some its not the 1st time they feel they were shafted by a company...thus the very very negative mistrustful and fear based agressive attitudes of some pilots.

The aviation industry has changed, the threats to aviation such as bird flu sars terrorism have changed. The role of pilots have changed. New models must be considered and adapted.

Some people will benefit some will lose out, thats life. Its often the ones who will loose out that naturally try to resist the changes but if the offers on the table suited them personally all their "principles" would fly out the door and they would grab them.

I'd like to see if for example some of the CX guys who is strongly shouting from the rafters "KA will be CX integrated above my seniority over my dead body- there'll be hell to pay" would themselves refuse a command (hypothetical) in KA on their aircraft of choice based in OZ, leapfrogging someone's KA seniority.....I don't think they would...maybe I'm wrong.:hmm: