PDA

View Full Version : SA 's Great Cricket Form...

south coast
4th Jan 2002, 16:03
can anyone tell me why south africa's cricketing skills have slumped to an all time low, and is it coincidence that it co-incided with h.cronje being busted for match fixing...? are they really number 2 in the world...?
look forward to hearing from the doctor on this one...!

B Sousa
4th Jan 2002, 20:23
They certainly beat the Snot out of India a couple months back. So much so I believe there was some kind of Investigation??

Whiskery
5th Jan 2002, 13:22
The South African cricket team are NOW officially number two in the world behind Australia.

They boast to being number one (unofficially) in one day cricket. This will be dismissed when Australia belt the living daylights out of them in the upcoming series beginning at the "G" on Friday! Oh......nearly forgot, New Zealand are coming over just so SA can get a couple of wins under their belts. :) :) :)

Keep the faith:]

Speedbird59
6th Jan 2002, 00:14
The political involvement obviously doesn't help any one to perform right now. I don't think SA are a bad team but that Australia (and it pains me to say it) are the best in the world by a country mile.

What I do think is that the Proteas have lost some of their fighting spirit which enabled them to perform so notably when they were re-admitted to the international fold.

I think they probably lack a world class fast bowler right now as Donald seems to be carrying too many niggles now. A reliable middle order batsman would help as would a world class spinner - I can't see Boje, Claud Henderson or Paul Adams bagging a five for.

Anyway I thought that this was meant to be an aviation forum but if life consisted entirely of flying aeroplanes and playing cricket then itwould be paradise indeed.

Whiskery
6th Jan 2002, 03:42
Speedbird59

[quote] What I do think is that the Proteas have lost some of their fighting spirit which enabled them to perform so notably when they were re-admitted to the international fold.

<hr></blockquote>

You are quite right,but to carry that observation further, they have lost the players that instilled that fighting spirit and mental toughness in their game. The Pat Symcox,Brian McMillan, Hanse Cronje (despite his current woes, the man was a brilliant Captain) and Daryl Cullinan types.

As with England, it will take some time to for SA to get back into being a competitive unit against quality sides but it will come and let's hope, for the sake of cricket, it is sooner rather than later.

Could you imagine a round robin one day competition with Australia, England and South Africa playing and the difference between the sides was a dropped catch or a quick single off the last ball of the day!

I would pay a months' wages to see that !!!!

Speedbird59
6th Jan 2002, 19:19
Whiskery,

I'd just like to add to your list of names Kepler Wessels - competitiveness and toughness personified, Jonty Rhodes - the ultimate fielder and Bob Woolmer who I believe was the ultimate coach for most of 90s.

On past experience I reckon that it's best Daryl Cullinan watches this series on the telly - not that he's not a world class player mind you.

I'm not sure references to quick singles off the last ball of the day will go down particularly well here in SA!!!!