PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security!

sco
18th Jun 2007, 21:17
Hello all!

I am somewhat confussed! I am a frequent flyer and absolutely amazed by the amount of security at airports, however, it seems a little bit pointless given that every single airport I have been through in the past year have airside shops selling prohibited items such as scissors, razors, lighters etc????

What is the point in going through such efforts if these items can be obtained after security. When I first noticed this, I pointed this out to the airport involved who sent me a standard reply thanking me for my comments. I have since past through this airport - months after raising the concern and yet it still continues???

To add salt to the wound this airport has now gone on to introduce a charge for passing through airport security. :ugh:

I am not someone who worries over aviation security, but what strikes me is the fact that this is ineffective and inefficient when a simple change can make a big difference.

Any thoughts?

pacer142
19th Jun 2007, 07:00
I am somewhat confussed! I am a frequent flyer and absolutely amazed by the amount of security at airports, however, it seems a little bit pointless given that every single airport I have been through in the past year have airside shops selling prohibited items such as scissors, razors, lighters etc????

Don't know about the others (and I've never seen scissors or lighters on sale airside), but razors (so long as they are safety razors) are NOT prohibited items.

Final 3 Greens
19th Jun 2007, 07:54
Scissors with blades less than 3cm and rounded tips are okay at BAA airports, as are Swiss knives bought at Zuerich airport.

It varies from place to place.

crewmeal
19th Jun 2007, 18:12
Well this must take the biscuit - flying through T3 at LHR yesterday some nasty goon took my jar of marmite from me!! Love it or hate it I asked why? reply was that it could make a liquid totalling over 100ml!! Having stated that I only use it on toast he dismissed me with a wave of his hand!!
Thank God I only travel by plane once a year - its this sort of pointless aggression takes the fun out of flying as these goons take delight in seeing passengers upset

warkman
19th Jun 2007, 19:25
Just back from Malaga.
Stupid pointless security being used for the profit of the airport operators.
You cannot take liquids of more than 100ml through security checkpoints.

Wanted to bring back some extra virgin olive oil, but the only way to pack glass bottles in the suitcases. Not a good idea with the monkeys they have as baggage handlers at all airports. So none.

get through security (only one pices of hand luggage, why???) and guess what? the airport run duty free shops had extra Virgin olive oil

Twice the price of the local supermarket.

This new security measures has nothing to do with terrorism, just another way for the airports to make more money.

perkin
19th Jun 2007, 19:50
and I've never seen scissors or lighters on sale airside

Lighters are freely available airside. Most airlines are ok with them, but you're supposed to keep them 'on your person' when onboard the aircraft. I've certainly never been stopped taking a lighter through security, apart form during the few weeks after the 'liquid bombs' debacle. :rolleyes:

World of Tweed
19th Jun 2007, 20:38
Lighters are often the "logo Items" that can be purchased on board.

Swiss Army knives are freely available in various lengths in Zurich, geneva and Basle all airside and all may be carried on board.

I'm afraid to say the UK-instigated liquids lunnacy (which is has amazingly pursuaded the rest of the EU to comply with) is most likely - set to stay.

The most secure airline in the world is the one with No Passengers, No freight and No crew.... how many of those companies are there?

A2QFI
19th Jun 2007, 21:03
FlyBE are working in that general direction!

ZFT
19th Jun 2007, 21:18
Perkin

I've certainly never been stopped taking a lighter through security

Depends where you are. Jakarta to name just one that does.

(edited to add - and of course the USA!!)

perkin
19th Jun 2007, 21:49
Depends where you are. Jakarta to name just one that does.

Ok, never been stopped in Europe, sorry for omitting that detail in my original post... :)

sco
20th Jun 2007, 17:09
Only Two weeks ago - I noticed someone had a lighter taken off them at a UK Airport.

Luke0705
20th Jun 2007, 17:55
get through security (only one pices of hand luggage, why???) and guess what? the airport run duty free shops had extra Virgin olive oil
I think the Idea is that they didn't know what was in YOUR olive oil, But they will know whats In theirs.

:ok:

Rwy in Sight
20th Jun 2007, 18:33
Just back from from CDG. About to go through the metal detector on satelite 7, when the duty person says in french "belt" - I do speak french. I go through the metal detector and the guy and his supervisor (a female) start getting upset with me for not having removed my belt. I wanted to say that their phrase making capacity is below average but I resisted just saying that they have to be more tolerant with foreigners speaking french.

One more bad experience, and new high for in convinience for pax.

Rwy in Sight

I enjoyed the announcement that security controls are for our interest.

manintheback
24th Jun 2007, 20:06
BAA are still profiting from selling lounge access for non Biz pax at the likes of Gatwick that Pax have no possibility of using given the length of the security queues (1hr+) as I found to my cost last Saturday. Refund requested and complaint made.

perkin
24th Jun 2007, 20:32
You are now permitted to take small gas lighters on board, so if that was taken off someone it was incorrect, though some airports still insist a lighter goes in a plastic bag. Perhaps it was a petrol lighter? I don't think they are allowed...

RevMan2
25th Jun 2007, 08:11
BA's website tells me that

Cigarette lighters cannot be taken through central security search.
They may be purchased airside and carried onto the aircraft on the person unless customers are travelling to the USA.
Cigarette lighters must not be carried onboard flights to the USA.
Cigarette lighters must not be carried in the cabin bag or checked into the hold.
A small packet of safety matches is permitted to be carried on the person but must not be put in the cabin bag.

Oh, and

Cooking Oils are also prohibited from carriage in checked or carry-on baggage.

So much for cheap olive oil...

warkman
25th Jun 2007, 09:42
Quote/ "Oh, and

Cooking Oils are also prohibited from carriage in checked or carry-on baggage.

So much for cheap olive oil..."/Quote

Apart from malaga airport where its on sale in Duty free (at twice the price of the local supermarkets of course...)

warkman
25th Jun 2007, 09:58
I think the Idea is that they didn't know what was in YOUR olive oil, But they will know whats In theirs.

Yes, because you would never get a terrorist working within the airport contaminating the Duty free for example, or working as an aircraft cleaner, or even working for Security would you?