PDA

View Full Version : New Spanish Security Rules

Three Yellows
18th Jun 2007, 07:00
Do we really need this? Do they really need this?

UK passengers to Spanish airports should allow extra time to check in because of new security measures, the Department for Transport has warned.

From Tuesday, passengers must provide their name, date and place of birth, and passport number to their airline.
The information must then be sent to Spanish authorities before the aircraft is allowed to leave the UK. Some airlines will collect the information at check-in while others will do so when the booking is made. :ugh:

Full story...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6762427.stm

Cumulogranite
18th Jun 2007, 07:06
Been expecting this for a little while now.

The spanish authorities have accepted that they have a massive problem with illegal immigration (as do most european countries, only they are doing something about it). What they are doing is perhaps a sledge hammer and walnut situation, but it is their version of a clampdown on illegal immigration and rather than having a pop at them for doing so, perhaps other EU countries, not just the UK, should look into doing something similar.

in summary, they are securing their borders, the idea has been suggested over here, but it would appear that we can't for fear of breaking assorted European laws, doesn't seem to bother the Spanish that much and all power to them!

windscreen
18th Jun 2007, 07:36
Travelling to Spain tomorrow on company staff travel tickets. Have been trying for a couple of weeks to submit the required info. however the company pax website where the info is supposed to be submitted won't work it seems with the staff tickets.
After numerous phone calls and emails I have received a response that basically states that non of these requiremens apply "yet", go to Spain and don't worry etc etc, it will "be alright on the night" sort of thing
If anybody is still interested I'll let you know what happened when I'm back in about 10 days time or before that if I'm denied entry
Regards to all

hetfield
18th Jun 2007, 07:39
Uk - Non Schengen !

zed3
18th Jun 2007, 08:39
Strange.....they want the passport number , plus the name and place and date of birth , when all this is in the passport . Surely they must have access to the UK passport system or somesuch information . Why make it easy when you can make it difficult seems to be the idea . Passport swiped at check-in and upon arrival off the flight , all info there to be seen including photo and the original . Easy . Is this all not a plan to bring the UK into line vis-a-vis the Schengen rule by manipulation ?

transilvana
18th Jun 2007, 14:42
Another stupid invention of Spanish DGAC and AENA, you should try both of them working here, is worst than a third world country.

JJflyer
18th Jun 2007, 15:07
Is this for UK passport holders or are Schengen passport holders travelling from UK also affected? The BBC article was a bit vague on the subject. Surely looks like travel from UK to Spain just got a tid bit more difficult, and how far in advance should these details be provided? What about travelling last minute?
JJ

Golf Charlie Charlie
18th Jun 2007, 15:10
It may be part of a trend. The US looks likely to impose a similar requirement for visa waiver travellers, eg. 48-hour advance notice to file details, but this will be inconvenient for many. It's a paradox that as the world globalises, some aspects of travel become harder.

daedalus
18th Jun 2007, 15:36
Of course the reason the Spanish are tightening up on travellers from the UK could well be that they have had problems with islamic terrorism (remember the Madrid train bombings?) and the UK is now one of the most suspect countries in the world for Islamic terrorism. That's why the USA is very strict with Brits - LONDON and West yorkshire are arguably the Islamo-terrorist centres of the world.

:ugh:

mt1832
18th Jun 2007, 15:54
I'm on an Easyjet to Spain next week - when I booked on line 2 weeks ago there was a pop up window which asked for passport details. Top marks Easyjet for forward planning - now all I have to do is write 'SB' on my boarding card..................

Data Dad
19th Jun 2007, 09:17
It's not just UK - Spain Air travellers that have to do this....

Its ALL Air travellers to Spain whether from Manchester or Timbuctoo!

Don't see how it will stop illegal immigration as you can still walk/drive across the border freely.

DD

boristhemini
19th Jun 2007, 09:36
We've known this for a while now.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=276347

The SSK
19th Jun 2007, 10:20
If I understand it correctly, there is an EU Directive of 2004 obliging carriers to provide advance passenger information (API) to the EU countries of destination.

Because it is a Directive and not a Regulation, it is up to individual countries to design their own legislation and (up to a point) decide on the timescale. As I understand it, the Spanish are in the forefront of actually doing something about it, the others are dragging their heels.

Goldilocks95
19th Jun 2007, 15:35
I hate it-im check in staff for Easyjet at BRS and we had a few practise 1s last week just so we knew wat we were doing.....it makes check in about 3 times as long as its supposed to be!!! Our ques are already huge....its gonna become hellish! Askme at the end of the week whether i still enjoy my job and dont wait for an answer as i willscream!

Shanwickman
24th Jun 2007, 17:50
At the moment only Spain has introduced these new requirements, but within the next 12 months all the other Schengen member countries will be requiring similar information.

k3lvc
25th Jun 2007, 07:22
Travelled LHR/BCN/PMI/AGP/MAD/LHR last week with absolutely no change in procedure on arrival. Had provided details via BA's website but passport control at BCN paid no more than a cursory glance at my passport and even managed a smile. Far more than can be said for Heathrows finest on the way back in (complete with their new 'UK Border' posters just in case you didn't know !!