PDA

View Full Version : 2 South Africa questions from a UK PPL

aerostar2
5th Nov 2001, 04:17
Apologies for the slight abuse of this forum.

I'm UK based, but have to talk at a conference near Pretoria next week.

First question is, I have a UK PPL, 550 hr, mostly aero display flying and will be staying on for a few days. Love to do some flying in SA - any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Second, is because I'm bringing the other half I have to fly cattle class to JNB. Any thoughts on which choice of airline would make this least unpleasant?

Sorry again for stretching the limits of this forum but would be very grateful indeed for any advice on either point.

Garry

aerostars home page (http://www.aerostars.co.uk)

Cardinal Puff
5th Nov 2001, 11:34
Hi Garry

Contact a bloke called Jannie at [email protected] or on telephone number +27-12-543-3050. He'll see you right regarding the flying. As for cattle class seats, they're pretty bad on all airlines but as we tend to be a little larger than average here in SA you might find SAA has more legroom. The service on BA tends to be a bit better though but in the end I reckon you'll just have to grit your teeth and tough it out, all the while thinking about the cheap beer and biltong at the end of your journey. Hope to see ya when I get back home to Pretoria in a week or so.

aerostar2
5th Nov 2001, 21:40
Thank you kindly, Dr Lecter :cool:

B Sousa
6th Nov 2001, 18:30
As to flying into JNB. I just did Virgin economy again and it was good. Service was good and movies at every seat. Try for Emergency Row seating if you need legroom. Last time I flew SAA First Class and it was the equivalent of Coach in others. Service was third world at Best. BA Business was the best I have ever been treated.

aerostar2
6th Nov 2001, 23:51
Thanks B Sousa

Good advice but too late (I'm going on Monday and had to book) - Seat pitch more important (I'm over 6 ft) and SAA has the longest at 34" vs 31" for BA and Virgin - there's a sad website that tells you this - so I chose that.

Prob. a mistake based on what u said!

Cheers

Garry

wheels up
7th Nov 2001, 02:21
Hmmm, let me see...

What about a flip in a Harvard (T6) for about R500? In a L29 jet for about 10 times that? How about a Sunday morning jolly in a DC4 to keep the missus happy?

If you REALLY want to have some fun what about poling the Lightning or the Buccanneer at Thunder City? ... then again if you are flying cattle class you can't afford it!!!

aerostar2
7th Nov 2001, 04:57
Ah Woof what's your point?

Done Harvard flying. The Yak 52 walks all over it and the 50 is in a different league. Done 7 ship close formation loops from 100'. Am member of FAI rated second ranking formation civilian aero team in the world. Nothing to prove, my friend.

Flying cattle class 'cos they'd pay for me alone biz or me + bird economy - wanted bird to visit the beautiful country.

But, still got lots to learn and actually I think I'm a pretty crap pilot. Ideas welcome.

Cheers

Garry

Stonebird
7th Nov 2001, 05:22
doesn't sound like it, mate :rolleyes:

aerostar2
8th Nov 2001, 03:47
Magic response to this question, esp. considering it's a pro pilot forum; apart from the helpful posts I've had a couple of friendly e-mails.

Stonebird I remember your posts after the Biggin incidents. There's a possibility that this trip of mine might lead to something more permanent in SA - and I just wonder what gives in the display world? I know about the excellent stuff that gets done with big mil jets (thank you again Woof!), but would there be anything for a jobbing formation aero pilot do you think?

I'll shut up now before you all throw me off.

The bird's electric with excitement about visiting SA.

Cheers

Garry

Smaug
9th Nov 2001, 02:08
Id say go to Rand (Germiston), its a lovely airfield, has one of those fantastic Terminal buildings that you dont see too many of these days (like Shoreham or Croydon)its where those T6's, L29's, DC4s etc fly from, and Pitts too if you want. Also Gold Reef City is a great theme park and you can finish the night off with a drive through Soweto and the CBD..C'mon, what else is there? Have fun in SA, my friend.

wheels up
9th Nov 2001, 02:09
Comment about cattle class was tongue in cheek - no slight intended! Sure you will have a great time.

aerostar2
9th Nov 2001, 07:06
Guys you are very helpful. I've got myself in a pickle re two flying clubs which was all my fault. Can't help but have messed one of them around and they've both been first rate.

Went to a business dinner this evening and as chance would have it sat next to a corporate finance guy who moved last month from J'burg to London. Also interviewed two people in the last month, both heavyweight company directors, one just out of Mozambique, the other from SA.

From all three the sense was not positive (perhaps I should say nervous) about the medium term future for South Africa. The Mozambique guy (who ran a hotel chain there) told me that all the middle class professionals exiting from that country were coming to the UK, rather than South Africa, and the others said there was a big exodus (300,000 in the last year, said one of them) to the UK.

The guy I sat next to tonight said that out of SA's 43m population, 5m were working legitimately and another 5m outside the tax system, which puts an enormous burden on state funding.

I also gathered that strong platinum and weak oil prices were helping the SA economy in the short term.

What do you think?

Garry

B Sousa
9th Nov 2001, 17:57
Hotel Chain in Mozambique? Since when? What a sh##hole.
If you read the Pretoria News on a Daily basis you will probably find that most of the Executive types leaving South Africa are probably under indictment for fraud or embezzelment of entire company funds. News is somewhat depressing.
On the other side, construction is everywhere and folks seem to be smiling when they're not getting highjacked. The Rand is heading out the door so prices are fantastic if your on the dollar or pound and many good products are much cheaper than they are in the states. I love the place in spite of things and they havent got Anthrax.
As to whoever said a tour of Soweto, shame shame, that sh## could get someone hurt if they are not familiar with the area.

Chris2
9th Nov 2001, 20:21
A nice cross-country day trip is to Pilanesberg near Sun City. Within easy reach from JNB area, can't remember exactly, think it took us +/- 1.5 hours. The airport is incredible with a thatched roof arrival hall !

Catch the courtesy bus to Sun City and pay for a day ticket (or, as we did, bribe the various guards R10 each :D :D :D ).

Have fun !

Cardinal Puff
10th Nov 2001, 22:49
Mmmmmm....

Mozambique is a great place but not for the faint hearted. Spearfishing is superb once you've moved out of the local ranges which have been mostly fished out. Outdoor enthusiasts could do a lot worse and the lodges along the Bazaruto archipelago are doing great business. There is a large hotel chain (by Moz standards) but their name escapes me right now. If you decide to head out that way speak to Jannie again and get a few tips. Local knowledge is worth more than gold in Africa. Spotcha inna long grass......