PDA

View Full Version : BA/FTE Cityflyer Mentored Scheme

Hookerbot 5000
16th Jun 2007, 20:05
Thank you for entering the BA CityFlyer/FTE Approved Airline Pilot Training Scheme application web site.

Before you apply via the online application form shown below, we strongly recommend that you familiarise yourself with this scheme. For further information, please click here.

Once you have thoroughly read the information and you think you fit the initial profile, we invite you apply online.

Good Luck

BA CityFlyer/ FTE

http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/page.php?page_name=campaign&id=11#

femaleWannabe
17th Jun 2007, 09:54
I applied to this last night... sounds like a pretty good company to work for. Having not been able to make the gb airways selection dates I'm pretty keen to get this one!

Can anyone provide anymore details about BA Cityflyer? routes etc? quite hard to find anything as it all seems to be lumped in with BA mainline...

Quite interesting that the course starts in october... so does gb airways and thomsonfly... and most FTE courses are only 12 places. Wonder how many cityflyer places are up for grabs.

ppljames
19th Jun 2007, 20:44
Any idea whats happening, anyone had any feedback yet

ppljames
20th Jun 2007, 15:11
I thought they had a base in London City too, not 100% sure if thats correct though. Have you heeard anything back from them. Your right seems like nobody has taken an interest to this one

femaleWannabe
20th Jun 2007, 16:35
I got the questions through today. Applications are open for 2 weeks so there is still a lot of time.

Flying Scot 1985
20th Jun 2007, 20:54
I just applied there. I await for a response. If successful what questions are sent to you?

ppljames
20th Jun 2007, 22:08
Yes backing up what flying_scott said what are the questions, and how long ago did you send off the initial application. Well even being based up there its atleast somewhere to start of, better then no job atall

Love_joy
20th Jun 2007, 22:31
Is nobody applying for this?! It seems the only base for cityflyer is Edinburgh? :hmm: That's according to pilotjobsnetwork. So it means definitely relocating permanently. Salary doesn't look all that great either but it's a good start I guess. Does anyone out there know how many places are available?

Are you really sure this is what you want to do? Relocation, regardless of who you might get a job with is very likely in this game.

This is a great scheme, and the knowledge that you have a job to step into at the end of the training is a huge boost, along with being a great CV highlight. Also, many people have to plug away with turboprob work to get the hours needed to get onto jets... this will get you there as step one.

Good luck to all, FTE is an awesome place to spend 14 months

femaleWannabe
21st Jun 2007, 07:05
I'm not going to paste all the questions in here, you'll find out soon enough!! I applied on Saturday... it usually takes a couple of days before they send you the questions. Then after applications close, it takes about a 4-5 days before you know if you're through to stage 3.

smith
21st Jun 2007, 07:15
It seems the only base for cityflyer is Edinburgh? That's according to pilotjobsnetwork. So it means definitely relocating permanently

Flights operate through London City, but the only base for pilots is Edinburgh. So it's only really worth applying for if you want to move up there - I guess this is why not many people are interested!

Is commercial aviation in the UK solely based in the South of England? You will not have to relocate if you are Scottish and/or live near Edinburgh? Jeeze, no wonder the Jocks never support England when they are playing football or any other sport with small minded xenophobic attitudes like that!!

Don't think I've ever heard anyone I have met during flying training say "Damn I will have to relocate!!:ouch:

femaleWannabe
21st Jun 2007, 08:08
Well I live near Edinburgh so cityflyer would suit me perfectly! Those who do not want to relocate, or only want to move for a couple of years to get hours and bugger off back down south, please don't apply - it gives me a better chance :E;):D

Sir Thomas
22nd Jun 2007, 07:04
CFE only has a flightdeck base in Edinburgh. The LCY base is a small number of cabin crew.

ta ta

femaleWannabe
22nd Jun 2007, 08:13
All freely available if you look:

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=jwyvfrkhx9mc0jm31mc61xs6uwsca2tknc2urbzba7e1 fps7zs1

chileconcarne27
27th Jun 2007, 11:51
OK, it;s been nearly 2 weeks now since i posted my application, any idea when they get back to us? Is it an ongoing thing or do they wait until after the closing date to ask people to stage 2??

I thought i read that some people had received the stage 2 questions.

Anyone else still waiting???

Chile

femaleWannabe
27th Jun 2007, 11:55
I got sent the questions a couple of days after submitting my initial application. They gave me 3 days to send my answers.

Applications are open till the 1st of July so we're unlikely to hear about phase 3 until late next week or the week after.

BusinessMan
27th Jun 2007, 20:45
Chile,

My experience was the same as FemaleWannabe re times (currently slaving over the questions before tomorrow morning deadline...). One of my mates didnt hear either and turned out the website hadn't accepted his details so he missed the date by the time he'd realised.

Suggest resubmitting, emailing/calling FTE to query or checking your email settings in case your questions got firewalled/ classed as spam? Also possible they don't send out the 'no' emails until after the deadline I guess but hoping you're luckier than that mate

BM

kurty
27th Jun 2007, 21:23
does anyone know what to expect at phase 3 if we get invited? Will there be a physics and maths test?

Thanks

asdhkd
28th Jun 2007, 00:04
i sent my questions back the other day but i wouldn't have thought we will hear anything until the deadline has gone. They will want to get everyone in a pool and then pick off the best from that.

Good luck guys, let us know if you get selected for the Manchester day!

femaleWannabe
28th Jun 2007, 07:44
For those wondering about timescales for invites to phase 3, and what to expect at phase 3, have a read at the thomsonfly, flybe and gb airways scheme threads... the process is practically identical!

asdhkd
28th Jun 2007, 23:17
hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone received anything from BACF when they returned their questions like a quick "thanks we will let you know shortly" email or did you all just get no reply. Its probably just me being paranoid as it seems lots of people have been having technical problems! I would appreciate anything anyone has to say on this. Cheers!

Imran Hussain
29th Jun 2007, 01:45
hi guys , I am interested in the BA citiflyer scheme, it i a very good scheme and good airline to work for. I want to apply but there are some things i was taking into condsideration. Firstly, you live 200-300 miles away from their base, therefore must relocate, if you were successful how would you manage to pay for accommodation and living expenses, taking into consideration the lower wage? I would be grateful if i could have your views on this.Note at the top of the website ppjn (ba cityflyer)it says there will be changes, including PAY, anybody got any further info to this.

Manypeople have gone to BA cityflyer from oxford aviation, so many of them have relocated, so would you say relocation is normal? or is it me making a big deal?

Does anyone know if there would be any further GB airways schemes, and what would be the academic requirements for this?

Finally, how many people will they be taking on, is it 6?

Many thanks
Imran

ppl_student
29th Jun 2007, 09:38
asdhkd, no, you hear nothing until you get either the questions sent to you, or a rejection if you don't meet the minimum academic requirements.

Imran Hussain, I think it is safe to say money will be very tight for the first couple of years. I doubt the "new pay" will be very much different to the old pay, but I could be wrong. Find a tax calculator online and work out what the take home pay would be. Then take off the loan payments of about 1000 a month, and see what you're left with to live off!

I would say relocation is pretty normal, but with most airlines you will eventually have the chance to transfer to a base closer to home. With cityflyer, this will never happen. If relocating to Edinburgh is not something you really want to do, then I would wait for another scheme to come up with an airline with more bases. Most of them ask for 5 GCSE's at grade C or above and 3 A levels at C or above. Sometimes they specify certain subjects like maths, english and science.

Hookerbot 5000
29th Jun 2007, 10:20
Imran H buddy, tbh if it was me that had a chance to get into aviation via BA CE then i would jump to it. Off course you will have to make sacrifices (move etc) but if you are serious about becoming a pilot, if offered take the opportunity ;)

I was recently selected as part of the Thomsonfly scheme and i am over the moon and i am willing to relocate etc basically to do whatever it takes. Sure money is going to be tight (although the payscale for Tfly is awesome) but the benefits out weigh the detractors.

I presume they are going to take 6 as with other courses but it could me more or less.

With regards to other schemes i hear flybe are going to be starting some more courses that will be advertised in july. If you look at the trend GB does a scheme every year like the others :p

Forget about the negatives if you are serious go for it :ok:

DOM1
29th Jun 2007, 14:03
Well I tought I'd have a pop at this scheme. :E

Bit of a pain in tha ass that you need to try and at least use different scenarios/examples for each question. Especially for people like myself who could answer many of the questions extremely well based on one scenario. Life goes on........:}

For all those that have sat FTE assesments there may be a possibility of 'bypassing' some of Phase 3 so I have been told. Needs to be confirmed though.

Goodluck to everyone that's applied. :ok:

DOM1
29th Jun 2007, 20:32
I'm struggling to find anything remotely positive about (working for) this company.......:uhoh: :suspect: uh oh.....:}

ppl_student
30th Jun 2007, 21:38
I find it hard to believe that many people will be trying for this....

Other schemes both at FTE and OAT (not to mention CTC) offer much better paid jobs, better basing opportunities, more well established airlines.... and for the same price and selection process! Why would anyone want to work for cityflyer instead of Tfly, thomas cook, flybe, gb airways, netjets?! I just don't get it.... the course costs the same but you end up with so much less :confused:

chileconcarne27
1st Jul 2007, 10:38
PPL_student

For one thing, people who are applying for this course probably would have applied to the schemes run for Flybe, NJE, Thomas cook etc etc, i know that i have, but fornone reaso or another didn't get selected.

Some of us will try anything to become a commercial pilot, even if it means crap bases, rubbish pay and oh so many other negatives. But if it's what we want to do then i know i'd go through hell and high water to get my licence...

If you don't like it so much, don't apply....gives me less competition which i don't mind.

Just think, if Cityflyer didn't do this scheme, there would be more of us trying for the sames schemes as you so count yourself lucky that if we get on this course, you'll still be trying for the other schemes while we're sunning ourselves in FTE!!

high-hopes
1st Jul 2007, 11:46
Will Cityflyer be scrapped within the space of 2 years, like every other attempt from BA at launching a regional / low cost subsidiary (Go, BA connect etc) ?

DOM1
1st Jul 2007, 11:59
I'm going to have to agree with both chileconcarne and ppl_student here. The simple fact of the matter is do not apply if you are not interested or see it as an unsatisfactory deal! ;)

However, not being 'tagged' probably gives greater flexibility to the graduate who can and probably will be offered employment from many more airlines thus a non-tagged student has 'freedom' and choice.

My main concerns RE: CityFlyer are that (a) it's a BA reincarnation.....:uhoh: (b) pay is not up to scratch (c) naff base (d) any route for progression with so 'few' mainstream RJ operators......the answers to those will need to come from the horses mouth, who will no doubt paint a better picture of CityFlyer than the forums on here.....:}

:ok:

ppljames
4th Jul 2007, 13:35
Has anyone had anything back, r.e stage 3. Just wondering whether there will be the same problems meaning some questionnaires dont get through.

Flying Scot 1985
9th Jul 2007, 13:32
Anyone heard back yet?? As the assessment day is a week today????

femaleWannabe
9th Jul 2007, 13:36
They sometimes only give a couple of days notice. I'd guess they will let us know today or tomorrow, that is how previous schemes have worked.

PLATO_Y2K
9th Jul 2007, 15:52
Got through also, day before my graduation, which is also in Manc! Lucky or what! Would be interesting to know if anyone knew the type of questions likely to be asked. Although cityflyer is a "new" set up of sorts so imagine there won't be to much prior knowledge.

Cheers

Craig :ok:

Mr_Turner
9th Jul 2007, 18:01
Hey, I have not recieved any e-mails today.......does anybody no if they send you a rejection e-mail as well ?

Thanks.

chileconcarne27
9th Jul 2007, 18:49
FTE will always send you and email, regardless of whether or not you are successful. They will not, however, say why you were rejected.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a good day for everyone.

Mr_Turner
9th Jul 2007, 19:08
Thanks very much, chileconcarne27 at least I know that there is still hope for me now !

I keep my fingers crossed.

femaleWannabe
10th Jul 2007, 11:20
Anyone got a rejection email yet? I'm guessing since I didn't hear yesterday that I'm not through, but don't want to give up hope altogether until I know for sure! :confused:

chileconcarne27
10th Jul 2007, 13:53
Ditto! It's the main irritant, waiting to hear one way or the other

femaleWannabe
10th Jul 2007, 13:56
yep, if I'm not in just TELL ME!! Sure, I'll be disappointed to miss out again, but the waiting causes so much stress :( Maybe they are waiting to see if some people aren't going to accept the offer to phase 3?

Mr_Turner
10th Jul 2007, 14:10
I have just phoned FTE and the lady informed me that they are still in the business of sending out e-mails.

She said that i should wait today and tomorrow for the e-mail..........and that if it does not arrive by thursday i am to phone back.

And yes, they do send a rejection e-mail.

Regards.

femaleWannabe
10th Jul 2007, 14:11
Thanks Mr_Turner, there is still hope :ok:

chileconcarne27
10th Jul 2007, 15:23
Wasn't for me this time round it appears! Really getting tired of all these rejections!

Here's hoping that FlyBe is more successful.

BusinessMan
10th Jul 2007, 17:17
I got binned too. However, reading other posts and going by my own exoerience, I suspect FTE may give priority to people who did not apply to their immediately previous programme (as long as they make the grade obviously). Hence trying not to be too down about it - rumour has it that the FlyBe scheme will be along shortly...

femaleWannabe
10th Jul 2007, 19:56
The phase 2 selection at FTE baffles me! I've been asked to phase 3 three times now (couldnt' go to one as I couldnt' get the time off work) and got to phase 4 once. My phase 2 answers have been more or less the same each time, yet I've been rejected this time. I really don't understand how they decide who gets invited! I have applied to the last 3 schemes back to back so not sure about the priority thing BusinessMan.

BusinessMan
10th Jul 2007, 22:14
Oh I don't claim to know anything FemaleWannabe! I agree with you that maybe it is by throw of the die after all. I was just inferring from a few posts that I'd seen recently and it seemed the only thing correlated with the rejections, granted that we all used fairly similar answers each time (if the proudest moment of my life had changed each time I answered the Qns I'd have to be seriously over-acheiving day to day methinks...!)

Lets see how we all do come FlyBe. Any of you guys gone for NJE or TCA with OAT too?

chileconcarne27
10th Jul 2007, 22:39
Phase 2 is weird with FTE it seems.

Last year i got to phase 4 with Flybe, only to have been rejected on initial application every time since, and it's not cos i've already applied to them according to Capt Ian Cheese! They haven't increased their criteria or anything so no idea how that one works.

Got to stage 3 with OAT/NJE but didn't even get past the first round with TCA.

The whole process baffles me, but i'll apply to every scheme that comes along none the less.

General Zod
11th Jul 2007, 15:39
Just got the reply to say I didn't get through - whixh is hardly surprising as I had a bout 2 hours to do the questions before the close of applications, due to their email system being buggered.

Oh well, through to stage 3 with CTC though.

chileconcarne27
11th Jul 2007, 17:45
Hear hear ppl_student!!

This is getting more and more common, i've had 4/5 similar emails in the last month or so from people who are too lazy to do their own work.

My message to them: get some balls and stop looking for the easy option.

If it's too much for you then i'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to trade places and actually do their own research!

Easy226
11th Jul 2007, 17:53
I have been knocked back at stage 2 also - i have applied to numerous FTE. schemes in the last 6 months. I reckon as someone mentioned in a previous post that they know the people who consistently apply and knock them back first, but i might be wrong! If that is the case i think its quite unfair as everyone who wants to get into such a buisiness is going to keep on applying.

I got through to stage 4 with the flybe scheme and didnt even get past the first stage with GB Airways. GB asked for a-levels and i was short by one and wasnt even able to mention i held a degree in an aviation related subject. Has anyone actually been sucessfull on here?!

Many Thanks

Dan

Winkiepinkie
12th Jul 2007, 12:55
Hi ppl_student.

You are absolutely right, due to rather serious and personal reasons which have left me no time whatsoever to do the research I would normally carry out for something as important as this, I have had fall back on asking for pointers from those that might be able to shed some light on my questions. Had circumstances been different, rest assured I would not be asking for help.

Was it really beyond you to say "no, I don’t know" or "yes, this is what I know…" privately instead of getting on your high horse in the forum and adopting the patronising tone (when you are not aware of the full facts)?

To those the few that did respond, even with a "I don’t know" thanks again, it was thoroughly appreciated.

At some point in this sector you’re going to need a little help. I just hope ppl_student, the day you are in need of help you get the same treatment you saw fit to dish out (and boy how I would grin if that person were me).

Good luck to everyone else. All the best, d.

dickibow
15th Jul 2007, 18:35
I've been asked to go to the BA CityFlyer Assessment day in Manchester. Just wondered if any other PPruner's would also be attending?

aftab
23rd Jul 2007, 17:21
hi,

has anyone been lucky enough to get the good news?

Good luck to all that attended.

Miguel.
23rd Jul 2007, 18:13
Oh... bit late to be reading the initial thread.

Is there anything similar to this starting?? :confused:

aftab
24th Jul 2007, 18:05
Hi,

Got an email today, bad news it is!!
Oh well, thats not the end of the journey, i guess its just the start. Im going to keep a positive attitude and do what i have to do.
Good luck to all the other guys.

just a quick question, i know it says they cant give you feedback, but is there anything you can do to find out your scores etc just incase you decide to go self sponsored with fte. Female wanabe i think you might have experience of this.

Thanks

aftab

femaleWannabe
24th Jul 2007, 18:45
aftab - yes I have! :E Just fill in the online application form, then email them to say you have already done the tests. They will use the scores from those, because if you got to stage 4 of a scheme, then you passed the aptitudes well enough. You will then have to fax your qualifications (yes, you've probably given them numerous copies already!) and they will invite you over to Jerez for an interview and debrief. I think you finally get your scores in the debrief! (I don't know for sure as not been yet). Good luck :ok:

Sioux4D
24th Jul 2007, 20:46
Aftab,
Whilst attending Phase 3, we were informed that in addition to the e-mail stating whether or not the airline had selected you for Phase 4, FTE would, in due course, send out a further e-mail with aptitude test feedback. I'm not sure of the level of detail they will go into e.g 18 out of 20 for Numerical Reasoning etc, however I do believe they will provide you with as a bare minimum, which of the following categories you fall into:
1. In FTE's opinion your aptitude meets the airlines criteria and you were/have been recommended by FTE to the airline*
2. You do not quite meet the airline's criteria, however FTE feel you have the aptitude/potential to complete the course and would be happy to arrange an interview at Jerez to discuss self-sponsorship (like FemaleWannabe :ok: though i'd like to add FW has made it to Phase 4 so clearly falls into category 1 above)
3. Your aptitude results showed that you would be unlikely to be able to cope with the demands of the integrated course, and you are strongly advised to reconsider your aspiration of a career as a Pilot.
*this does not necessarily mean that the airline will have selected you, as FTE merely make a recommendation on those they would submit, but the final decision is up to the airline. I'm not even sure how many will be put forward to Phase 4. All I know is 17 attended Phase 3 at Pioneer House out of the x that applied (including those that were called up to replace those unable to attend, unfortunately once again like FemaleWannabe has experienced), and there are four spaces available to start in October under the BA CityFlyer MAPS scheme alongside 8 untagged self-sponsored students.........maybe FW will be one of them ;)
Not sure of the timescales for this feedback form FTE, but we were told this was the case.
Hope this helps,
:ok:

AJMcC
24th Jul 2007, 21:18
The BACF scheme is for an October start??? That means there'll be 4 Thomsonfly, 2 GB and 4 BACF students in one course! :eek: .........I don't know what that means, but it's still shocking!!!

Sioux4D
24th Jul 2007, 22:57
FemaleWannabe,

Thanks for your response you are proving an invaluable source on this thread as someone who has had first hand experience of the application process pretty much end to end! I was just passing on what I was told, but appreciate you sorting out the "reality" from the "theoretical"!

That's somewhat disappointing as I'm sure successful or not we would all appreciate some feedback!

AJMcC,

That's what we were told, but don't quote me on it!

Cheers.
Sioux4D

aftab
25th Jul 2007, 01:20
First of all thanks femalewanabe and sioux4d for your reply. I agree with you sioux4d, we were told something along the lines of what you sed at phase 3. I dont understand why they dont give you atleast your scores/results. I mean fair enough i can go to jerez for an interview and debrief etc but theres really no point if youve messed up all your tests. i mean when you go there they basicly tell you, you screwed up your tests, you need to consider another career. You went all the way to jerez to hear something they could have told you by email or over phone, youd b like :mad::mad::mad:.
FW what do you think they do with all the copies? eat them. lol

femaleWannabe
25th Jul 2007, 15:30
aftab, I don't think they will invite you to Jerez if your scores are not good enough. If you apply for self sponsored then they will either use the scores you had at phase 3 and invite you over for interview and debrief - meaning you have passed the tests and they are judging you on the interview in jerez, or they will revert back to the usual self sponsored selection and invite you over to do the tests and the interview and take it from there.

Lol i have no idea what they do with the copies! Given I met the academic requirements to get to phase2 about 5 times, you'd think that would be good enough for self sponsored! Maybe its data protection or something... :}

PLATO_Y2K
29th Jul 2007, 21:25
Anyone else up at Pioneer House on wednesday?

Craig :ok:

docash1983
24th Jun 2008, 09:51
Im still waiting too:}

CruiseControl_007
24th Jun 2008, 10:02
Me too...still waiting.

Past experience with other FTE schemes tells me that it will be a week or two before we hear anything.

They might reply by the end of this week...who knows...sit tight! :ok:

AdamLT
24th Jun 2008, 10:05
also checking emails every minute or so ;)

owenoundle
24th Jun 2008, 14:21
Hi

I rang FTE yesterday and they said they are still waiting for the news from cityflyer, they also added that they were expecting it very soon, end of this week I guess. Good luck!!

David

Shay
25th Jun 2008, 17:44
Me too, still waiting and waiting....

I don't know why, I don't expect anything but a rejection letter back, but it's still nice to know! :}

SefonSA
27th Jun 2008, 11:44
Hello fellow applicants

I have been checking these pages & inbox every other minute too.

I just thought I would type something, so everyone sees a new post!

Hope to see you in Manchester next week.

Stay optimistic & Goodluck all

Shay
27th Jun 2008, 15:28
Out of curiousity, anybody have any idea about the number of applicants that would be going for a scheme like this? And how many would be likely to go through? First time applying, just wondering :confused:

SefonSA
27th Jun 2008, 16:35
Hello Shay

I am afraid its my first time to apply aswell. I saw your comments on another thread

"Not many people seem to have applied, there's not much news about it circulating around here at least!"

And agree I have only counted 10 or so users.

Anybody else? I would hope if some one received a golden invite they would share the news on here.

Inbox still empty! Stu

phil1mac
27th Jun 2008, 19:44
The last scheme attracted just under 200 applicants (back in jan), approx 30 will get through to stage three but it may be less. Just to let you know BACityFlyer are not the best when it comes to replying!!

CruiseControl_007
27th Jun 2008, 20:24
Unfortunately these things do take time.

I remember when I appied for the previous CityJet scheme where I literally only received a reply a week before my assessment date which gave me very little time to plan my holidays from work.

It's just a waiting game I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure they should reply by the end of next week.

Shay
30th Jun 2008, 14:52
"BACityflyer/FTE Scheme. Progress to Phase 3‏"

oooh how excited was I when I read that in my emails! Extremely surprised...

9th July, :cool: bring it!

Anybody else?

ca2bb
30th Jun 2008, 17:31
Hi,

I got an e-mail this morning confirming the stage 3 interview on the 8th.:ok:
Now to some serious math’s and physics revision..:8

Best of luck to all those who have applied.