PDA

View Full Version : Falklands Gurkha betrayed

Maple 01
16th Jun 2007, 14:11
Guys, here we go again........
Our chums on ARRSE are having to get all shouty with this fecwit government over our Nepalese mates. This time a Falklands Vet

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full%26objectid=19305382%26siteid=89520-name_page.html
http://album.phototrance.co.uk/album/314683#imageID=19149486
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=66783/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=2010.html
http://www.vchero.co.uk/

Gurkha Cpl Gyenendra Rai
A DECORATED Falklands hero who suffered horrific injuries at Bluff Cove has been banned from Britain.

Foreign Office officials fear Gurkha Cpl Gyenendra Rai, 51, will try to stay here if he is granted a visitor's visa for NHS treatment.
The ex-machine gunner is in constant pain after his back was ripped open by a shell.

He wants to come to Britain because he cannot afford the necessary medication at home in Nepal.

FFS how many more times are the FCO going to do this, and let's not get started on Nick from Shiny 6's treatment by the NHS......

So in the words of International Rescue 'Stand-by for action'

wokkameister
16th Jun 2007, 14:25
The FCO, having all had their spines removed, are unlikely to see the pain involved in a back injury.

Disgusting, shambolic and indicitive of the third world despotic regime we are rapidly becoming.

WM

Len Ganley
16th Jun 2007, 14:27
From The Mirror article
Despite 14 years' service in the armed forces, officials have told Cpl Rai he has insufficient links to the UK to get a visa

Once again it seems that military service is not considered by civil servants to be deserving of respect. They are scared that if they let this man into the country for the Falklands remembrance ceremonies he will be try to get medical treatment on the NHS. So what?? He has done more for this country than some of the people the FO grant visas to.

Tigs2
16th Jun 2007, 14:32
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here we go again! Well the last campagne worked for Rifleman Pun VC. If we start again then they may just well sack the feckwits out there in the FO.

The Helpful Stacker
16th Jun 2007, 14:41
Having worked with Gurkhas in the past and also having a grandfather who served alongside them in the Chindits I find this government's continued poor treatment of Gurkhas disgusting. Never have more a more loyal people served under the crown of this country, a country they were not even born in.

The area I live in has a large ex-Gurkha community and I often attend Gurkha charity events, even though the local councils have made it increasingly difficult to hold them.

Quite frankly I find this all very embarrassing. We as a county are happy to put their lives on the line for our foreign policy decisions put hope they go somewhere else to see out their days when no longer required.:mad:

Roland Pulfrew
16th Jun 2007, 16:01
Well I have e-mailed my MP. Mind you I am not going to hold my breath. In the case of Mr Pun VC I finally received a reply from one of Mr L******'s assistants several weeks after the event. W:mad:r

Maple 01
16th Jun 2007, 16:15
http://www.vchero.co.uk/

Exract from the Statement of Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai

"I was a Lance Corporal in the 1st Battalion of the 7th Gurkha Rifles, posted to the Falklands during the 1982 war with Argentina.
I arrived in Port San Carlos on 1st June 1982. We marched to Bluff Cove and a place called Wether Ground, with 60 kg (just under 9.5 stone) packs and supplies on our back. We had to march in freezing temperatures, in biting wind, and sometimes at 14 below zero. It was unbelievably cold. The march lasted for 3 days. We would march each day for 10 to 12 hours, with short breaks. I was "B Company's" Detachment Commander. I was responsible for the GPMG-SF "General Purpose Machine Gun - Sustained Fire", which is a heavy (24 lbs) 7.62 mm machine gun. It can fire up to 750 rounds per minute, over a distance of up to 1800 metres (1.1 miles). As well as being used by infantry in the field (being operated by 2 men on a tripod), the GPMG-SF is sometimes mounted on helicopters and armoured vehicles. I was tasked to use this weapon to support and protect British and Gurkha troop positions, and lay down suppressive fire in case of Argentinean counter-attacks en route to Port Stanley. In addition to the weight of the GPMG-SF, me and the 9 Gurkhas under my command had to carry heavy rounds of ammunition. Like me, there were 2 other Gurkhas specially trained in the use of the GPMG-SF.
On the 10th June, the night before I was wounded, we took in-coming artillery fire from Argentinean positions at Sapper Hill, close to Port Stanley. The artillery was being fired from the Argentine guns approximately 15,000 metres from our location (approximately 9.3 miles away). Luckily, on that occasion the artillery rounds went over the tops of our heads and exploded some metres away. No-one was hurt during this attack. However, this is the first time I had suffered a full-scale bombardment in the battlefield. My Company made a tactical withdrawal to safer ground, in case the Argentinean spotters moved the artillery fire closer to our positions. We dug-in and made trenches. It was very hard work. Just below the sticky, muddy surface were large rocks, and as we dug we got down to the water table. We therefore stood in trenches filled with freezing water, which covered our mud filled boots. However, the Gurkha's trenches were so good that even 10 years later, during military exercises on the Falklands, British soldiers reported that they were still there and intact.

On the morning of 11th June 1982, I recall that it was again bitterly cold. We were securing our trench positions around Bluff Cove when I heard a whizzing, whistling noise in the sky above me. I immediately recognised that it was another round of in-coming Argentinean artillery fire. Two rounds exploded close to us, but none of my men was injured as we took shelter. It was very much like a scene from the First World War, as we sheltered in and around our muddy, waterlogged trenches. I then heard the familiar whistle of another in-coming artillery round. This time, the round exploded some 5 to 6 metres (15 to 20 feet) from me and my men. All that I can remember of the initial explosion was a massive bang that immediately deafened me (I was subsequently left deafened for about 10 minutes). The air was taken out of my lungs and I found it hard to breathe. Everything went black and I could not see. I was totally disorientated. I was confused and my head was spinning.

Initially I did not feel any pain, though I remember smelling smoke and burning flesh. I think that I was knocked out or stunned by the artillery shell's impact. I began looking around to see if my men were hurt, but I could not move. I could see that the left side of my camouflaged uniform was torn and was now smothered in dark red blood. One of my fellow Gurkhas shouted at me, but I could not hear him as I was temporarily deafened. The soldier was pointing to my back. I noticed that my uniform was torn, smouldering and singed. I used my hand to smother any smouldering cloth, as I thought I might catch fire. It was then that I noticed the left side of my back had been torn out by shrapnel from the artillery round. I tried to crawl, but I just could not move. I was incapacitated and was, by now, smothered in my blood. In addition I had sustained a shrapnel laceration to my right shoulder, but this was less serious than the life threatening wound to my left lumber region.
It was at this point I was absolutely convinced that I would die. I knew that I was badly wounded and I thought of Pashupatinath Temple, which is the most sacred Hindu Temple in the world. The Temple is in Kathmandu, in my homeland of Nepal. I knew that if I thought of this temple, as I lay dying on the battlefield, I would definitely go to heaven.

However, my thoughts of a quick death were soon shattered. Within seconds, another Argentinean artillery round whistled across the sky and I knew that we were under attack from 4th artillery round being driven in to our sector. The round landed only 2 metres (12 feet) from me and my colleagues. However, it was our good fortune that the round did not explode. All 9 of my men would have been killed had the shell exploded that close to us. I recall, as I lay in a pool of my own blood, that I looked at the dud artillery shell and could see 155 mm on the side of it. I thought to myself, at least now I know what type of artillery the Argentineans are using against us, and what precisely had wounded me.

As I looked around, I could see that the shell that had cut me down had also wounded 2 of my Gurkha comrades. One of my Gurkhas had his face, neck, and hair smothered in blood. Pieces of shrapnel had hit his helmet and gone through the rear of it. Luckily, the velocity of the shrapnel was slowed down sufficiently by the helmet, so that he was not mortally wounded. I think if he had not been wearing his helmet, however, the shrapnel would have definitely ripped his head off. I then noticed another of my men, lying on the ground holding his leg. He had taken shrapnel just above one of his knees (I cannot remember which knee, as I was drifting in and out of consciousness by this time). My comrade’s leg; his combat trouser leg; and his boot were smothered in thick red blood.

I told those of my men who were not injured to retreat to safe positions to protect themselves from the continuing artillery barrage. It was clear the Argentineans had gotten our range by now. I then think I went unconscious. However, I think it took about 15 to 20 minutes for a British Army ambulance with a large red cross on the side, to make its way to us in the field. I later found out that the British Army could not call in helicopter support to us, as there were no helicopters available at that precise moment.

By the time the army ambulance arrived, I was in severe pain and had lost a lot of blood. It was like someone had driven a 2 kg (4.5 lb) sledgehammer through the side of my back. I simply cannot describe the pain, as it was so unbearable. However, I noticed that neither my men nor I were screaming or shouting by this stage. I think we had all accepted, which is typical of Gurkhas, that we were going to die honourably on the battlefield.
I remember an Army Medic rushing over to me. He immediately gave me morphine, and within minutes the pain eased. When you are given morphine, they mark an "M" on your forehead so the surgeons know not to give you more when you arrive at the field hospital. I never got to thank this man properly, but I owe him my life. The medics lifted me, semi-conscious, onto a stretcher. I remember that the stretcher filled up with my blood, so much so that it was coloured dark red by the time they rushed me to Fitzroy Field Hospital where surgeons began to save my life.

I feel the British Army surgeons who operated on me were the finest in the world. They had to work on terrible injuries, including my own. Despite the battlefield situation, they did everything they could to save my life and the lives of my fellow British army comrades who were also dying around me.
When I recovered, the surgeons gave me the piece of artillery shrapnel which they had removed from my back. The shard of jagged steel was approximately 6 cm by 2 cm. I now keep the shrapnel piece as special memento of the day I nearly died during the Falklands War."

Cont…
"Some time later, I learned that during my lifesaving surgery in Fitzroy Field Hospital, in order to cover the hole in my back caused by the artillery round, I received a graft of muscle and skin from a British soldier. I assume the soldier had just died at Fitzroy Field hospital that same morning, and that this man had given the gift of life to me by his sacrifice on the battlefield. I still think and wonder who that soldier was, and I regret he lost his life the same day that my life hung in the balance. It is ironic that when British Embassy in Kathmandu refused my application to come and live in the UK and receive medical treatment, they said that I "did not have strong ties to the UK". I have since thought to myself that I am literally part-British, because a fallen British soldier's skin and muscle was grafted to me in order to save my life, on 11 June 1982.

I was subsequently taken back to the UK for more intensive surgery. I had 2 further major operations on my wounds. I was in constant pain at the time, and still have considerable pain today. In fact, part of my left side is now slightly paralysed and numbed due to my wounds. I was told that when I went back to Nepal, I would get army medical treatment. However, I have never had any medical treatment from the army, in Nepal. I cannot always get the painkillers and medications I need, and to be honest I cannot afford the medical treatment. Even though I served in the British Army for 13 years, being discharged with "exemplary" conduct, I am 2 years under the 15 years required to receive a British Army pension. Therefore, life is very, very hard for me even though I have given my all for Britain and did my duty without question.

When I was required to leave my army service, my wife was pregnant and we were not allowed to stay at the Regimental Barracks in Hong Kong. I had to return to Nepal without any pension or income. We were so poor that we could not live in the town of Dharan, which was then the main British Gurkha recruitment camp for Nepal and a place to find work. My wife and I returned to my remote village, called Bhojpur. There was no hospital in that village, nor were there any medical facilities close to our village. Shortly after my army retirement, my wife gave a birth to our child at our home in the mountains. Unfortunately, during childbirth all the afterbirth did not come out. My wife became very sick, and I was forced to try and take her to a nearby airport to see if there would be someone to give her first aid or medical treatment. I carried my sick wife for 6 hours on foot, carrying her on basket on my back, to Tumlingar Airport. Sadly, my wife died on the way to the Airport. My heart was broken, but I could not give up, as I had to support my young children.

As I did not have any income, following my discharge from the British Army and the death of my wife, I was so poor that I went to Iraq and worked illegally and earned some money to send back to my children in Nepal. I ran a great risk working illegally in Iraq. I arrived in Iraq on 12 January 2004 and worked there for 22 months until 31 October 2005. I provided private security to the British Army in Bazra, and also security for the Iraqi Prime Minister and governmental complex in Baghdad. I then returned back to Nepal, because I missed my family. I now scrape a living in Nepal, and I am humiliated by having to borrow money from local loan sharks.

I do not want to come to Britain for any charity, as all Gurkhas are honourable people. I do not want to take anything from a country which I love and fought for. I applied to live in the UK so that I could get medical treatment for my wounds and to help stop the nightmares which I still suffer as a result the horrors I saw in the Falklands. It would be a great honour for me to live and work hard amongst the British people, but sadly the British Embassy in Kathmandu do not think I am worthy of such an honour. It is heartbreaking that the British Embassy has forgotten that I nearly died in battle, fighting alongside brave men of the British Army that day in 1982."

Cont…
"My father was Hasta Bahadur Rai. During the Second World War, he answered Britain's call for help and joined the 10th Gurkha Rifles. My father was seriously wounded attacking a Japanese position in Burma. He sustained a rifle bullet wound just below his right knee, fired from the rifle of a Japanese solider defending an enemy position. My father was so badly wounded that he spent 2 1/2 years in hospital in India (then part of the British Empire). For the rest of his life, my father walked with a stick and was badly crippled. However, I can still remember how proud my father was of his Burma Star, which was awarded to him by Britain. I know that my father would be deeply proud of me, and that I too have fought for the British people and the honour of the Gurkha Regiments"

Cont…:-
"It was a family tradition to be a Gurkha. In Nepal it is always a great honour for our finest men to fight for and protect Britain. My family always viewed Britain as a great Empire and the home of democracy. My family knew that if we joined the British Army we could be proud to say that we served as Gurkhas. Also, our lives would be fundamentally different being part of such a great country and great army. I would have no hesitation in joining the Gurkhas again and would still be willing to lay down my life for the British people, as I was willing to do on the battlefields of the Falklands in 1982.

I have heard of the British peoples' support for my fellow Gurkha veteran, Mr Tul Bahadur Pun VC, and their support for all the Gurkhas. I am very grateful that the British people have not forgotten us, especially those of us Gurkhas who are now in need of Britain's help.

Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai 1/7th GRG (Rtd)"

Kieran O'Rourke
Howe & Co Solicitors
Ealing, London

Chugalug2
16th Jun 2007, 17:05
Thanks for the above info Maple. What a fine thank-you to this loyal and brave ex soldier on the 25th anniversary of the conflict in which he fought. The idiots that inhabit the corridors of power seem to have an unhappy knack of doing the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time, awesome! Once again the spineless wonders whose links with this country amounts to our bad luck that they live here insult a man whose links with this country were that he served it faithfully for 14 years, fought and nearly died for it, and asks that he may come here to receive treatment for the wounds and their effects that nearly killed him on our behalf. Needless to say he has been denied that. Well Gordo it's on your plate now chum, so a word to the wise, ring up the wretched Byrne and tell him that he'd better cobble up another statement as he did for WO Pun, but omitting the VC bit. If he demurs to the effect that we'll then have to admit any Gurkhas who may wish to come here, let him know that after careful consideration of all the.... (well you know the rest), that is precisely what Government policy will now be.
OK folks let us put them right one more time, ie MPs, HO(ID), and a concerned email to Buck House drawing HMs attention to yet another blunder aimed at her creme de la creme infantry. If you haven't signed up to the petition for the Gurkhas to be allowed to come to the UK to live amongst us, should they so wish to honour us, do so via www.vchero.co.uk (http://www.vchero.co.uk)
To contact Mr Liam Byrne (Immigration minister): [email protected]
To send a message to HM at Buckingham Palace:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3776.asp

Maple 01
16th Jun 2007, 19:01
OK, I've been a bit of a biff, can a mod change the title to read something like "Falklands Gurkha betrayed"

Thanks

ragpacker
16th Jun 2007, 20:02
Joan Humble MP e-mailed. Not expecting a reply - didn't get one last time re WO Pun.

Maple 01
16th Jun 2007, 21:25
Thanks to the kind mod

And here's a link to find your MP

http://www.writetothem.com/

And her Maj (thanks Chugalug2)

Double Zero
16th Jun 2007, 22:43
Have joined petition, but the gov. links fail on my pc - maybe just me.

I've always thought our treatment in general of the Ghurkas is shameful, but this takes the biscuit - and I'm not known as a petition type !

Let's hope this is the final straw to get some civil serpents kicked out, and this honourable man ( & his colleagues ) the treatment so well deserved.

Maple 01
17th Jun 2007, 07:37
For those who feel a note dropped to their MP or to the House of Lords might help feel free to rip-off this, after all, I stole it from it off DozyBint on ARRSE
And here's a link to find your MP

http://www.writetothem.com/

Dear *******,
Re: Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai (Rtd).
You may remember the recent disgraceful case in which a Gurkha VC winner was denied access to the United Kingdom for medical treatment because in the words of the FCO ‘he failed to demonstrate that he had strong ties to the UK’. Eventually, after a lot of pressure the government begrudgingly reversed this decision.

Yesterday another case came to my attention, that of Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai (Rtd). Despite 14 years' service in the armed forces, FCO officials have told Mr Rai that he too has insufficient links to the UK to get a visa, preventing him joining events to mark the 25th anniversary of victory in the Falklands. More than this however, he was seriously injured during the fighting and would greatly benefit from being able to access the NHS.

I really cannot understand what stronger tie there could be to a country than to be prepared to give your all in its service, though I concede that Ministers who have never undertaken military service may find this concept difficult to comprehend.

I hope you will feel, as I do, that the United Kingdom owes a debt of gratitude to our Gurkhas, and that the grant of a visa would go some way to repaying his loyalty and valour. I would be grateful if you could ask the Home Secretary to ensure that the decision taken in Mr Gyanendra Rai’s case is reviewed most urgently.

Yours sincerely,

You might also want to write to her Maj (thanks Chugalug2), be nice, she's still the boss

StbdD
17th Jun 2007, 13:34
As suggested in WO Pun's thread, these CANNOT continue to be one-offs. The current public/media pressure should be focussed on changing the policy/laws, not on making exceptions. Letters to MPs or the Queen should reflect that goal.

Sooner or later (likely sooner knowing the modern attention span) people will start ignoring these as 'just another gurkha thing'.

Chugalug2
17th Jun 2007, 15:16
Well I'm all for a campaign to offer UK residence to all ex Gurkhas, which was of course the purpose of the petition to our great leader from the very beginning of the effort to get the refusal to WO Pun VC reversed. But let us be clear that moral rights and wrongs are always one offs, and those who grow weary of appeals to correct such are themselves morally deficient. That is a hard thing to say and to accept, but it is our loss of moral certitude in this brave new world of expediency and prudence that would make us the beneficiaries if those who have displayed the old values of loyalty and service would honour us by wishing to live amongst us.
LET THEM IN!

ThreadBaron
18th Jun 2007, 10:40
Maple

Thanks.

One flea
despatched by e-
mail for my MP
to see.

And hopefully do something about.

Crikey ..... a reply after 8 minutes. "I will chase the Minister about this."

I will not be cynical ... this is A Good Thing!

Gainesy
18th Jun 2007, 15:03
Lazy, shiftless MP given a nudge.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
18th Jun 2007, 17:47
MP emailed.

:ugh:

Duncs

johnfairr
18th Jun 2007, 18:11
Put my twopennyworth in to the bloke who took over from the fragrant Virginia . . . . . .

swp53
18th Jun 2007, 19:34
I have no Military connection but I saw red when I read about this shameful treatment.
E-mailed my MP last night who replied today.

Dear Dai Davies,
Today the day of the Falklands Memorial I am disgusted to read about
the shabby treatment of a Falklands veteran Lance Corporal Gyanendra
Rai (Rtd) a former Gurkha who received serious back injuries during the
conflict.
He is unable to afford treatment in Nepal and wanted to come to the UK
to seek medical help, unfortunately the faceless bureaucrats of the
Foreign Office are afraid he may try and stay in the UK if they allow
him to come here for treatment.
We continually read about preachers of hate that we cannot deport for
various reasons and the criminal elements flooding into the country
from former Eastern Block countries but it seems we are unable to
support someone who gave 14 years service to this country and was
injured in the process.
What a sad state this country is coming too, we used to be world
renowned for fair play, I now wish I did not have to admit to being
British.
I would appreciate if you would raise this subject on my behalf.

Yours sincerely,
Stephen Phillips.

Dear Stephen,

I agree fully with the contents of your e-mail and have tabled a Early
Day Motion on this very issue.

Yours sincerely

Dai Davies

Also wrote to HM along the same lines.
I hope it helps.

Sent the story to friends to do the same.
Regards,
Steve.

RFCC
18th Jun 2007, 20:29
Have emailed Richard Bacon MP about this and the last Gurkha appeal. He hasn't bothered to reply to either letter.

Maple 01
18th Jun 2007, 21:17
I actually got a reply from Norman Lamb's office this time,

Dear Maple01,

Thank you for your message of 16 June, which I will pass on to Norman Lamb.

With Best Wishes,

James West
---------------------------------------------------
Parliamentary Office of Norman Lamb MP

Though I suspect it might have something to do with this bit I left off the template

I was disappointed to note that you failed to respond to my previous
e-mail concerning Tul Bahadur Pun VC, can you confirm that this was an
oversight by your support staff, that you did not receive the e-mail in
the first place or that you and your party are unconcerned with the
issues that affect ex-servicemen?

Cnuts

Bomberpuke
19th Jun 2007, 11:11
Letter sent to Bob Russell MP:

Gainesy
20th Jun 2007, 14:17
Hmm, maybe he's not as idle as I thought, just received the following:

Dear Mr xxxxx
Thank you for your e-mail about the case of Lance Corporal Gyanendra
Rai. We have immediately made representations to the Home Secretary
and, as soon as we have a response, we will let you know.
Yours sincerely
Pippa Way
Office of Rt Hon Francis Maude MP

swp53
20th Jun 2007, 17:55
Recieved a hand written letter from the House of Commons sent by my MP today with a copy of a letter he has sent to Des Browne at the MOD so at least my MP acts on matters raised by his constituents.
Regards,
Steve.

Chugalug2
20th Jun 2007, 17:58
My email to Liam Byrne, and reply from his office, all very bureaucratic and soulless so it must be genuine! Lets hope they get shed loads more and decide discretion is....well they'd have to seek advice from the Gurkhas for the rest!

Dear Mr. Byrne,

I trust that you are aware of the case of the above named ex Gurkha, who has been denied entry to this country as he has failed to show close enough links with it. He served in the Gurkha's for 14 years, he fought and was badly wounded in the Falklands conflict, nearly dying of his wounds. Just how much closer could his links be with us? If he fails to meet the criteria, then I suspect most of us would fail them also, myself included! He needs urgent medical treatment for the effects of the wounds that he sustained on our behalf. Whatever the regulations say, they can be changed. Our moral obligation to this faithful and brave ex-soldier cannot be changed, and to flout them brings shame on us all. Please reconsider Mr. Rai's application to come here and allow it. We would be honoured by his being amongst us. Reject him and we are dishonoured. Do the right thing and let him come here, and stay here if that is his wish.

Thank you, for your email. Your support for Corporal Gyanendra Rai (retd) ex !st/7th Gurkha Rifles
has been noted and your email will be forwarded to the case file for future reference.

Joan Dulieu
Public Correspondence Team
Lunar House

Glad to see WO Pun VC will be arriving LHR 4th July, courtesy of Virgin, well done them. Lets make him feel very welcome!

Double Zero
20th Jun 2007, 19:10
Did at least get my mail acknowledged by Francis Maude MP, or at least his dept.

johnfairr
20th Jun 2007, 19:53
Not a word from the member for Surrey North West, or wherever I am!!

Name rhymes with c:mad:nt and I am not impressed!!

jf

Bring back the fragrant Virginia! :E:E

threepointonefour
20th Jun 2007, 20:36
Not a word from the member for Surrey North West ...

Ditto for the MP for Grantham & Stamford. Emailed him on Sunday, no reply yet.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
20th Jun 2007, 22:19
Nowt from Tewkesbury.

Duncs

Tigs2
21st Jun 2007, 01:47
I really think that once we get Mr Pun VC in on 4th July, the media coverage will be massive, and if the old boy voices his concerns about the veteran Ghurkas then we will be on to a winner to establish a campaigne to allow all of OUR soldiers who have fought for OUR country to recieve the full thanks and benifits we have to offer if they should choose to have it. I don't give a hoot what nationality they are, if they have sworn an oath of allegience to our Queen or her Father, the previous King then on that alone they deserve every hospitality we can afford them. Carribean, South African, Nepalese, Indian, Austrailian, Kiwi etc etc etc. Anyone who opposes cannot be military, therefore has never taken an oath of allegience, swearing thier life to the monarch, so do not even dare to reply!

PPRuNe Pop
21st Jun 2007, 07:08
I wrote to Liam Byrne - but didn't get a reply. Why am I not surprised? The indifference they show to questions of concern from the people they are supposed to represent is typical of this government. I for one hope we see the back of them soon.

I also wrote to my MP, Paul Birstow (Lib Dem), and he did reply and will include his name in support.

ScotsmanCalledPaddy
21st Jun 2007, 12:34
I wrote to Mr Robert Key MP on Sunday about this... Replied within 1/2 hour sharing our concerns.

Maple 01
21st Jun 2007, 18:30
From Viscount Slim

Dear Maple

How kind of you to write and I share your views completely. The only thing I can say is that I think the ruling, though I am in the process of finding out, is that a Gurkha has to have spent 15 years in the Army before being considered for UK residency. I maybe completely wrong but I have sent your letter to the right quarters and asked for ruling and support.

This FCO and Home Office ruling 'he failed to demonstrate that he had strong ties to the UK' is absolute nonsense and cannot be substantiated. What stronger ties can you have than giving many good years of service to the Queen and Country .

Again thank you for writing.

Yours sincerely

Slim
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Slim,_2nd_Viscount_Slim

Son of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Slim%2C_1st_Viscount_Slim

This government is *******with the wrong people

joe2812
21st Jun 2007, 19:51
Wrote to Tony Wright, my ever-useless MP on Sunday. Still nothing.

boristhemini
22nd Jun 2007, 14:10
Wrote to my MP Ken Purchase about Rifleman Pun.... No response. Wrote to my MP Ken Purchase about Corporal Rai.... No response. :ugh:

t:mad:t

ORAC
22nd Jun 2007, 16:36
Thank you from Rod Liddle (http://www.spectator.co.uk/archive/31346/a-vc-wont-get-you-into-britain.thtml)of the Sunday Times/Spectator reference Gurkha Pun VC posted on Jet Blast (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=281126), for those that hadn't seen it.

johnfairr
25th Jun 2007, 18:04
Got this just now. At least he has responded;

Dear JohnFairr

Thank you very much for your email regarding the treatment of Gurkha
Corporal Gyenendra Rai for wounds sustained during the Falklands
conflict.

I hope you will appreciate that, without knowing the all the facts, I amirr
not in a position to comment in detail on Mr Rai's case.

However, I do recognise that, time and time again, the Gurkhas have
proved their calibre, having won 13 Victoria Crosses since they were
first recruited in 1815. Their motto - "better to die than be a coward"
- reveals their tremendous dedication and commitment to providing some
of the best soldiers in the world.

As I understand it, the Government amended the immigration rules in 2004
to allow those Gurkhas that have given more than four years service to
the British Army to be entitled to remain in the United Kingdom
indefinitely, as long as they were discharged from service after 1st
July 1997. This was the date when the Gurkhas became a UK-based force,
following withdrawal from their previous base in Hong Kong. Although
those that were discharged prior to this date are not covered by this
new rule, they can still apply to remain in the UK. However, they must
be able to demonstrate close personal ties with the UK, such as children
being educated here, and the discretion to grant leave to remain on this
basis remains with the Home Office.

I will of course forward your letter to the Home Secretary so that he is
aware of your concerns about Mr Pun's situation and let you know as soon
as I get a reply. I hope that we can put pressure on the government to
treat him with the fairness and dignity he deserves.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to me. Please do not
hesitate to get in touch if I can be of further assistance.

Best wishes,

Jeremy Hunt

I assume that whoever ends up as Home Secretary after the Wednesday shenaniggans willfile this at the bottom of their "Too Hard" tray!!

jf

November4
25th Jun 2007, 20:39
James Gray - North Wilts (Lyneham and Hullavington) contacted

The Poison Dwarf
27th Jun 2007, 10:43
Salman Rushdie, who did exactly what for the country? gets a knighthood and Lance Corporal Rai gets the elbow!

What have we become?

Perhaps Lance Corporal Rai should claim political asylum as a refugee from severe hardship.

The FCO's treatment of a loyal servant of this nation is despicable, morally reprehensible, ugly, vile, unworthy, wretched (sorry, my dictionary has run out of synonyms).

Still, it's not surprising, loyalty, patriotism, integrity, a sense of fair play and a sense of duty are outmoded concepts and politically incorrect and those who hold these concepts dear are clearly dinosaurs who have no place in the "real" world.

I despair

TPD

Double Zero
27th Jun 2007, 16:36
We who have posted here all feel much the same - I do find it depressing there hasn't been a huge lot of posting, hopefully a lot of people will have just read it & got straight to their MP's...

Maybe I ( or preferably someone with the money ! ) could go and bring him as their 'half brother seeking asylum' or something ?

Anything that works, if the system doesn't.

Count me in...

The Poison Dwarf
27th Jun 2007, 19:38
I echo your sentiments Double Zero, there are several threads on this forum on the topics of Ghurka Pun VC and L Cpl Rai but the posts seem to be from many of the same people, perhaps the threads should be merged.

One thing that is gratifying is that regardless of colour of uniform (or former uniform) we are all "of one company and of one accord".

In addition to the publicity generated by PPrune, ARRSE and Rum ratioN, Kieran O'Rourke and the team at Howe & Co, Rod Liddle and Sir Richard Branson have done, and continue to do, outstanding work in the case of Ghurka Pun VC.

Greatest respect to all involved.

But it looks like these two cases are just the tip of the iceberg, so the pressure needs to continue until HMG in general and the FCO in particular recognise the debt of gratitude that this country owes to ALL the men from Nepal and their families and face up to their "duty of care" (Yeah right!!).

Mods, perhaps one thread dedicated to the Ghurka cause?

Nag-o-gram sent to James Gray MP

TPD :ugh:

Rocket Chucker
27th Jun 2007, 19:43
I wrote to my MP, Andrew Murrison last Friday and got a reply on Saturday!!

"Thanks ****. I was not aware of this second case and will write to the
defence secretary about it.
Best wishes,
Andrew"

Don't know if it will do any good but every little helps and if enough MPs get snowed down with mail on this perhaps something will be done - so get writing fellas. I had mentioned the 85 year old Ghurkas case, which he was obviously aware of.

Will keep you posted on any further correspondence.

Per Ardua

threepointonefour
27th Jun 2007, 22:17
Don't waste your time with my MP (Grantham & Stamford) - I emailed him 10 days ago and have had no reply.

Unsurprising, when you consider that the 'wet' pompous windbag has been plotting his defection to the other side during this time. Words fail me - he claims the tories lack conviction and principals, that they don't stand for anything anymore, and yet he hasn't the common decency to reply to my polite email. GIT.

MarkD
28th Jun 2007, 17:16
Poison Dwarf - Rushdie's K might be a sort of fsck you to the Iranians over the captured boarding party fiasco.

November4
28th Jun 2007, 17:59
Reply from James Gray

"As with Gurkha Pun, I was surprised to hear the Government's decision, given his record of service. I have written to the Home Secretary, the Rt Hon John Reid MP, enclosing a copy of your e-mail, seeking his comments on the points you raise.

I will be in touch with his response as soon as I receive it."

Just hope Jacqui Smith opens Reid's post now that he is no longer there.

eastern wiseguy
29th Jun 2007, 19:14
I wrote directly to my MP (Lady Sylvia Hermon UUP) and recieved this reply today.

"Re Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai (retd) UK Visa

Thank you very much indeed for your email of 17th June outlining your concerns about the difficulties being experienced by Falklands veteran Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai in obtaining a UK visa.

Let me say straightaway how very grateful I am for the trouble you have taken to bring your particular thoughts on this matter to my attention and I shall certainly ensure your concerns are raised at the very highest level.

With this in mind I have already written to Lord Triesman,the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Minister with responsibility for the UK VISAS agency,reinforcing the points highlighted in your correspondence.

As soon as I recieve a reply from the Minister,I shall of course write to you again......."

:ok:

I will keep you posted.

The Poison Dwarf
30th Jun 2007, 07:51
Mark, anything is possible, but surely, no government would stoop to such a petty and childish action - would they???

Never ascribe to deviousness that which can adequately be explained as stupidity.

Nonetheless, Rushdie gets a "K" and L Cpl Rai gets the "Big E", it is still incomprehensibly immoral.

BTW, spoke face to face with my MP yesterday and he is definitely pursuing it - good for him.

joe2812
30th Jun 2007, 12:14
Letter in the post today;

Dear Mr Joe2812

Thank you for your email, which I received on 19 June regarding the treatment of Lance Corporal Gyandera Rai.

I agree with you that Gurkhas deserve respect for their military service and I have written on your behalf to the Home Office. I will contact you again when I receive a response.

If in the meatime, I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Tony Wright MP

:ok:

Chugalug2
30th Jun 2007, 22:42
Further email sent off to my MP (no pack drill, but majority 37 after 5 recounts!) to emphasise the need to renew efforts on behalf of Mr Rai and to bring his case to the attention of those now responsible for his visa, following Mr Brown's fingers doing all that walking! Pointed out Mr Pun VC is receiving a full Gurkha GoH (brilliant, what a turnaround, well done to all involved!) . I look forward to the honour of joining in his welcome on Wednesday.

filejw
30th Jun 2007, 22:57
Sad as it sounds like the government over here(US).Some bureaucrat was just trying to deport the Mexican wife of an Army KIA.He was also from Mexico.:ugh:

threepointonefour
3rd Jul 2007, 18:28
Don't waste your time with my MP (Grantham & Stamford) - I emailed him 10 days ago and have had no reply.

Unsurprising, when you consider that the 'wet' pompous windbag has been plotting his defection to the other side during this time. Words fail me - he claims the tories lack conviction and principals, that they don't stand for anything anymore, and yet he hasn't the common decency to reply to my polite email. GIT.

Received on House of Commons headed paper today ...

Dear 3.14,

Thank you for your recent email about Gurkha Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai. I quite agree with you about this. I can think of few more deserving cases when it comes to determining applications for UK residence.

I have written to Laim Byrne at the Home Office to make my point and I very much hope that the Government will have a change of heart.

With all best wishes,

Quentin Davies MP

I humbly apologise for my comments above - perhaps the Rt Hon gentleman's voice will carry more sway now that he's on their side? In this case, I hope so. I look forward to meeting you on Friday night at "The Great Debate"!

Chugalug2
5th Jul 2007, 15:08
Received a reply from my MP with attached letter from "UKvisas, a Joint Directorate of the Home Office & Foreign and Commonwealth Office,- Making Travel and Migration work for Britain" (sic) and signed by Mr Richard Biscoe, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal Desk, Visa Customer Services (sic!):

"Dear Ms MP,
Thank you for your letter of 20 June to Lord Triesman on behalf of your constituent Mr Chugalug2, regarding the refusal of entry clearance to lance Corporal (sic) Gyanendra Rai (Rtd) to settle in the United Kingdom.
I appreciate your constituents concern regarding this case, and the situation facing ex-Gurkha's (sic) in general. Unfortunately, due to our obligations under the Data Protection Act, we are unable to divulge information relating to third parties, such as members of the public, without the signed consent of the applicant.
I am sorry that I cannot give more positive news but hope that this clarifies matters,
Yours sincerely, etc"

Good to know that UKvisas are so scrupulously looking after Mr Rai's interests, while meanwhile "Making Travel and Migration work for Britain"! One supposes they were equally as scrupulous safeguarding those applying to enter "Britain" (is the "UK" becoming a non state now?) to work for the NHS and to further their interests in Jihad. Also interesting to note that I was not enquiring to know the details of Mr Rai's rejection. We all know them. He failed to show evidence of close ties with the UK. He even failed to show close ties to the UK when on active service, fighting for us in the Falklands and being wounded so severely that he nearly died. Mr Biscoe is thus being disingenuous by quoting the DPA, but I suspect that he might see that as a compliment.
Keep piling on the pressure Ladies and Gents. Mr Pun reminded us yesterday that his hope is that all ex-serving Gurkhas be given right of abode here. Personally I think he is not asking for enough. IMHO they should be granted UK citizenship as a quid pro quo for their service, if they so wish.

tommee_hawk
18th Jul 2007, 01:07
Thanks for a fitting tribute to another of our country's most loyal servants - it really sickens me to see how poorly we've treated the Gurkha regiments over the years.
If you're moved by this link please take the time to visit the link highlighted below and read of the appaling way we've treated another Gurkha hero, Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai.
The fight to give serving and ex-Ghurka warriors the very minimum they deserve must not stop.
http://www.vchero.co.uk/pb/wp_496a0c3b/wp_496a0c3b.html?0.4188965124129193

November4
18th Jul 2007, 23:35
Had a reply from James Gray (North Wilts) today. He passed my letter onto the Home Secretary and passed it onto the India, Sri Lanka and Nepal Desk, Visa Customer Services..!

Thank you for your letter on behalf of your constituent, November4, regarding the refusal of entry clearance to Lance Cpl Rai (Rtd) to settle in the United Kingdom.

I appreciate your constituent's concern regarding this case and the situation facing ex-Gurkha's in general. Unfortunately, due to our obligations under the Data Protection Act, we are unable to divulge information relating to individual clearance applications to third parties, such as member of the public, without signed consent of the applicant.

I am sorry I cannot give you more positive news but hope this clarifies matters.

Richard Biscoe

Now can the flying :mad::mad: can this clarify the situation when they say they can't tell me anything because of Data Protection????? :ugh::ugh:

James Gray said in his covering letter that he will continue to speak up for Gurkhas and ex-Gurkhas in Parliament

November4
18th Jul 2007, 23:54
Er anyone else notice the similarity between the letter I got and the one Chugalug2 received....?

OzPax1
19th Jul 2007, 00:02
Had a reply from James Gray (North Wilts) today. He passed my letter onto the Home Secretary and passed it onto the India, Sri Lanka and Nepal Desk, Visa Customer Services..!
Quote:
Thank you for your letter on behalf of your constituent, November4, regarding the refusal of entry clearance to Lance Cpl Rai (Rtd) to settle in the United Kingdom.
I appreciate your constituent's concern regarding this case and the situation facing ex-Gurkha's in general. Unfortunately, due to our obligations under the Data Protection Act, we are unable to divulge information relating to individual clearance applications to third parties, such as member of the public, without signed consent of the applicant.
I am sorry I cannot give you more positive news but hope this clarifies matters.
Richard Biscoe
Now can the flying can this clarify the situation when they say they can't tell me anything because of Data Protection?????
James Gray said in his covering letter that he will continue to speak up for Gurkhas and ex-Gurkhas in Parliament

Snap! Looks like a standard form letter. My MP is Claire Short. I'm going to her next surgery about another issue but will bring this issue up. Not that I think she cares much anymore as she is retiring at the end of this parliment. :ugh:

Chugalug2
19th Jul 2007, 12:57
This tactic has already been picked up by Messrs Howe, and is mentioned in Kieran's post to Aarse, copied by Tigs2 to us at:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277365&page=17pied

Finally, as regards Gyanendra Rai and this Data Protection Act point, let me have a think of the best way around this point. It may be that we write to them and give them permission to respond to individual points, but that will require Rai's instructions and his signature from Kathmandu (that'll take a while).

Good news at least that some improvement to Gurkha pensions has been announced, but still a long way short of the parity that Mr Pun VC calls for:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6906360.stm

eastern wiseguy
21st Jul 2007, 11:09
I got a similar reply from Lady Sylvia Hermon.HOWEVER she adds (handwritten)

"PS If you have a signed consent form from Lance Corporal Rai ,do please forward it so that I can pursue his case more speedily"

If his lawyers are reading this I am happy to pass ANYTHING on to her.

Regards

EW

debsh
21st Jul 2007, 18:00
Same reply from Alan Beith.
So permission from the lance corpora;l would be a bonus. I have told my good MP that is what I am doing!
Might add a spring to his step.
ANYTHING that can help gratefully received.

joe2812
27th Jul 2007, 10:35
Reply from my MP with a letter from Richard Biscoe at the Nepal Desk of Visa Customer Services about Data Protection.

MP has said he'll write a more general letter to the Home Office and will send his reply on.

LowNSlow
27th Jul 2007, 12:12
This link may help the Gurkhas past and present and end the disgusting manner the British Government is treating people who have given everything for the UK. http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

Chugalug2
2nd Aug 2007, 21:10
Speechless, many thanks for your interesting post. What Meg Hillier describes as the existing arrangements are clearly unsatisfactory when considered against the wishes expressed in the petition, and by posts here, arrse and elsewhere. The agreement with Nepal needs revising, at the very least so that members of the Brigade may apply for naturalisation without having to leave the Brigade for other units to do so. It is a bizarre situation that men serving in a Brigade of the British Army are prohibited from having UK citizenship, especially as they may be commanded by British officers! Whether or not Nepal would allow for dual nationality for serving and ex serving Gurkhas is of course for that state to decide, but in any case Gurkhas should be allowed the right to choose having served the required time (5 years?). If they then become UK citizens, the usual arrangements for family members would presumably be followed as in all other such cases. It is good to know of the Home Secretary's generous level of discretion in such cases. It would be even better to know that such procedures were agreed and laid down in law and were the inalienable right of these loyal servants of the Crown rather than at the behest of politicians, generous or otherwise. I very much doubt if a change to what I have suggested here would result in "jeopardising the special relationship that currently exists between the United Kingdom and Nepal". More likely it would jeopardise the cosy set up whereby we retain the use of the world's premier light infantry, but not the expense and inconvenience of care and accomodation for them in their old age. This is an unequal and dishonourable arrangement and should be revisited and revised immediately!

cargosales
5th Aug 2007, 07:18
[Also posted on the SSAFA/G thread (Neighbours war with wounded soldiers families) but worthy of posting here too I think.]

There's some excellent joined-up thinking going on at the Telegraph. The piece by Jenny McCartney in today's Sunday Telegraph very nicely makes the connection between Gray's Lane and the Ghurkas :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/08/05/do0505.xml

One would hope the politicians who were so quick to support SSAFA are now equally unequivocal in their representations to the Immigration Service. If not, perhaps they need further persuasion.

CS

Chugalug2
5th Aug 2007, 11:05
There's some excellent joined-up thinking going on at the Telegraph. The piece by Jenny McCartney in today's Sunday Telegraph very nicely makes the connection between Gray's Lane and the Ghurkas

Which surely brings us back to the next great challenge, ensuring L/Cpl Rai and his comrades the right of abode in the UK, on a full British Army Pension? Is it possible to receive an update from Messrs Howe now that their hearing is adjourned or is it all still sub judice, thus as effectively shutting us out as did the enthusiastic use of the DPA by the good Mr Richard Biscoe?

Ned Kelley
1st Sep 2007, 11:02
Hi people,

Thought I'd share an email with you that I have just sent to Liam Byrne, see you in the Tower,
"
Dear Mr Byrne,

As a former RAF Regiment Gunner who served alongside Gurkha Soldiers in Belize, can you tell me how you and the FCO can honestly say that, L/Cpl Rai has no "Strong Ties" to the United Kingdom, he certainly has stronger ties than the flood of illegal and EU immigrants you let into this country with out hindrance and have never done anything for this country, yet a man (and a corps) that put their lives on the line for us, and do with an honour I find distinctly lacking in our political class; is refused, despite the fact that L/Cpl Rai was very nearly killed in the Falklands in 1982, he does not have sufficient links with the UK, I am disgusted by that statement, at least the Gurkha's know that the ordinary squaddie both serving and ex service, and those of us who have had the honur to serve alongside with them, are with them in this unfair fight.

Of course L/Cpl Rai and all of his comrades deserve to have full access to the UK and the NHS if need be, shame on you, and shame on your shambolic farce of a government."

Exrigger
1st Sep 2007, 18:59
Copied from another site:
Why is Wee Gordon Broon so keen on demanding the release of five inmates of the American holiday camp at Guantanamo Bay.

None of these men are British, but they had “resident” status when they were detained overseas. One, nabbed in Afghanistan, is said be have been Osama bin Laden’s interpreter. Another, a Jordanian who was arrested in Gambia, has been linked to the murder of Ken Bigley. The others are similarly tainted.

Once we get them back, it’s going to cost us £7.5 million a year to monitor them around the clock.

So why, Gordon, why? Have you not had enough excitement in your first few weeks in office?

If true then it goes to show why people who deserve residency/help from this country cannot get it.