PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine Airshow Crash

VFE
15th Jun 2007, 19:01
Does anyone know what became of the commander of the Su-27 which crashed with horrific results at that Ukrainian airshow in 2002 (I think)? He ejected safely but some mates and I wandered what (if any) recriminations there were against him following the events?

VFE.

Tigs2
15th Jun 2007, 19:08
I heard him and his boss (amongst others) were banged up for a long time.

Ewan Whosearmy
15th Jun 2007, 20:40
By all accounts, he got 10 years and the bloke in the back got 7. The base commander was also fired.

VFE
15th Jun 2007, 20:53
What were the grounds for such a long sentence for what must surely have been a manslaughter (or Ukraine military equivilant) charge? Anybody know what the results of the aircrash investigation were? I recall engine failure and insufficient height/lateral distance from crowd being mentioned at the time but even so, seems the penalties are high for ukraine military display guys if they mess up.

Or was it a case of "we must blame someone".

VFE.

hobie
15th Jun 2007, 21:14
some info here .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sknyliv_airshow_disaster

and a google here ....

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=Ukraine+Airshow+Crash+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

That should keep you going till bedtime .... :)

VFE
15th Jun 2007, 22:16
Thanks for the wikipedia link. Sounds like the pilot and possibly the others were made scapegoats.... but do we ever know the real truth?

VFE.

Ewan Whosearmy
15th Jun 2007, 22:38
The pilot added an extra *unbriefed* roll to the manouver and killed a load of people on the ground as a result. Had he refrained from doing so, he'd have pulled out and those people wouldn't have been decapitated, disemboweled etc.

Scape goat? No. Goat rope? You bet.

Load Toad
16th Jun 2007, 06:11
>VFE,
What do you think is a suitable sentence then for people who act in such a neglectful manner and cause the horrific deaths and wounding of scores of perfectly innocent people?

spud
16th Jun 2007, 06:25
3 terms as Prime Minister is the going rate.

VFE
16th Jun 2007, 10:26
I thought he suffered an engine failure which resulted in a departure to the left (or right, can't quite remember). Unplanned roll but only as a result of significant yaw caused by failed engine. Obviously I'm wrong in which case - yes the sentance was sufficient.

VFE.

PS: Very good Spud! Very droll - like it.

EODFelix
16th Jun 2007, 13:01
Thanks for the wikipedia link. The zionkowski.com avi is better quality although I have serious reservations about posting a link becauase of its latter content.

VFE
16th Jun 2007, 13:06
Yes there is a peice of footage on the internet that really isn't for mass public consumption. I doubt the guys running this website would be happy with a link to it.

VFE.

Union Jack
16th Jun 2007, 14:09
3 terms as Prime Minister is the going rate

Spudilike!

Jack