PDA

View Full Version : CAT II/III Fail passive with DH

A330AV8R
15th Jun 2007, 09:55
Anyone have any tips and tricks for spotting fail passive modes on these approaches , as in info that is lost but a/c continues without warning light . . . in order for the PF to in one scenario take over manually without going into too much detail here ? especially the A330 skippers

all thoughts appreciated .

FlightDetent
15th Jun 2007, 11:17
1) only an A320 F/O
2) Degradation of autoflight landing mode from Fail Operational to Fail Passive is indicated on PFD by "CAT 3 SINGLE" label instead of normal "CAT 3 DUAL"

3) Fail Passive is still full autoland, no need for manual landing. Under CAT III conditions, autolands - this is nonsense manual landings are not permitted anyhow. (without going into too much of a detail)
FD.

mono
15th Jun 2007, 12:13
3) Fail Passive is still full autoland, no need for manual landing. Under CAT III conditions, autolands are not possible anyhow. (without going into too much of a detail)

What on eatrh do you mean??

What is the point of an (all be it degraded) autoland system if you can't use it when you bloody need it??

In our airline Cat 3 dual is Cat IIIb and Cat 3 single is Cat IIIa

Back Seat Driver
15th Jun 2007, 12:38
FCOM 4 APPROACH
FAIL-OPERATIONAL AUTOMATIC LANDING SYSTEM
An automatic landing system is fail-operational if, in the event of a failure below alert height, the remaining part of the automatic system allows the aircraft to complete the approach, flare, and landing.
A CAT 3 DUAL system is a fail-operational automatic landing system.
Note : In the event of a failure, the automatic landing system operates as a fail-passive system.
FAIL-PASSIVE AUTOMATIC LANDING SYSTEM
An automatic landing system is fail-passive if, in the event of a failure, there is no significant out-of-trim condition or deviation of flight path or attitude, but the landing is not completed automatically. A CAT3 single system is a fail-passive automatic landing system.
****Note : With a fail-passive automatic landing system the pilot assumes control of the aircraft after a failure.****
Below 200 feet (radio altimeter), the FMGS freezes the landing capability until LAND mode is disengaged or both autopilots are off.
Therefore a failure occurring below 200 feet does not change the category of the system.
ALERT HEIGHT
The alert height is the height above touch down, above which a CAT3 autoland would be discontinued and a missed approach executed, if a failure occurred in either the aircraft systems or the relevant ground equipment.
Below the alert height, if such a failure occurs, the flare, touchdown and roll out may be accomplished using the remaining automatic system.

FlightDetent
15th Jun 2007, 12:53
mono: Words mixed in translation. Now corrected, thanks.

A330AV8R
16th Jun 2007, 09:06
Flightdetent

Only an A320 F/O <<< ???? didn't get that ...

anyways guys I went thru Vol 4 about the same and understand that , was just wondering if there were any other unconventional methods of picking up information about that degredation ... that's all

But all your help is appreciated

happy landings

:ok:

411A
16th Jun 2007, 18:32
Fail passive.
Fail operational.

ONLY one term describes the superb L1011...fail operational.

Lockheed TriStar...a superb design, to which ALL others are compared (my gosh, even after thirty years...who would have thought at the time)...yet, is STILL the best, and from what folks tell me, only the B777 comes close.

Imagine...:E

FlightDetent
18th Jun 2007, 08:33
It is just to say, that I am very far from being the person you specifically asked for. :E I still struggle to what you mean about manual landing for CAT IIIA. Are you LVO trained?

fd.

A330AV8R
19th Jun 2007, 01:44
hi FLIGHTDETENT

I apologise for not making my query clear enough , yes most companies around the world if not all do not allow a manual landing in CAT III conditions and its the same for me , I shouldnt have mentioned that in the title ... and to answer your Q Yes I am down to CAT IIIA . . . . are you ? I was simply trying to acertain if there are any other tips n tricks out there just for knowledge that's all ..

anyways cheers

:ok: