PDA

View Full Version : Air Taxi Work

Love_joy
14th Jun 2007, 22:53
There is a lot on PPRUNE about the big boys commercial operations, but are there many opportunities to do air taxi work in the UK at the moment?

Essentially, I would love to continue my GA flying in light aircraft - especially light twins, and ideally at someone else's expense, all whilst working for a commercial operator.

Also, (and this is a very general question) does anyone know if it is possible to do work like this on days off if you are signed up to a major commerical operator? I am assuming in normal situations, all operators like to know they 'own' the 900 hours you can work a year.

Fireboy
15th Jun 2007, 08:47
Thats a very good question Love Joy, I only work half the month so air taxi work would be ideal for me. How many air taxi firms are in the UK and where?

shaun ryder
15th Jun 2007, 08:51
You might be able to land a job as an air charter pilot in the UK if you have the relevant experience. Air taxi work at best is very demanding, tiring and some say a tad risky. Your balls will need to be cast of iron. As for helping out at the weekend on your days off as an airline pilot, unlikely. Commercial pilots rarely have weekends off for a start, the charter company will want to 'own you' as you say and your airline will certainly not allow you to fly commercially for anyone else.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
15th Jun 2007, 09:01
Here's a link. Look down the page and you'll find a list of UK operators:-

http://www.ebanhandbook.com/hb_aircraftpage.html?recnum=Piper%20twin%20piston

Finals19
15th Jun 2007, 13:32
I am not so sure there is any great correlation between GA flying and Air Taxi work - when I think of GA I think of nice days, trips out with mates in good VFR, no huge time constraints and no client(s) to consider. When I think of Air Taxi, I think of mostly IFR, time constraints, way more stress regarding weather, getting caught out in the odd bit of sev turb or not so nice ice etc etc.

I worked +800hrs on a PA31 doing this, and in the summer it was ace, but oh my, in the winter it was more a bit of a case of roll-the-dice (no wx radar, pneumatic boots that, well, sometimes shed the ice, no A/P (but two crew operated admittedly)) Everyday was a BIG adventure with a BIG learning curve. Not the most comfortable of flying!

Good luck though! :ok:

shaun ryder
15th Jun 2007, 17:18
Finals.

I remember on some occasions, I found myself praying out loud whilst caught in the middle of storm cells and bad turbulence :D Air taxi, such fun!

adverse-bump
16th Jun 2007, 08:03
to work as a air taxi pilot, you MUST have 700hrs TT inc 100 multi. unless you already work for the company, ie as an instructor, in which case, it MAY be reduced to 400hrs TT 50 multi.

:sad:

buzzc152
16th Jun 2007, 08:19
You might want to consider aerial survey as an option too.

Yellow Sun
16th Jun 2007, 12:30
Also, (and this is a very general question) does anyone know if it is possible to do work like this on days off if you are signed up to a major commerical operator? I am assuming in normal situations, all operators like to know they 'own' the 900 hours you can work a year.

1. You would have to have permission from your primary employer before taking up any secondary aviation employment.

2. Your primary employer will "own" whatever hours you are contracted for, hence 1 above.

3. You will still have to comply with the requirements of CAP371 in respect of flying and duty hours

4. If you "work" on a "day off" then it is no longer a "day off". You must ensure that you comply with CAP371 in respect of your number of "days off".

In most cases I have seen it no 4 that is usually the stopper. It really means that you are only available on a very limited number of days and usually without any regular pattern. I have seen it done, but it is very difficult.

YS

Love_joy
16th Jun 2007, 19:02
Thanks for the feedback guys. I havent done any research on it yet, but the concept sounds like a good idea. Have 4 days off, and fancy twatting around in a Seneca with someone else paying....

But i guess there are the obligations to current employeers to consider etc...

VFE
16th Jun 2007, 20:05
I suggest you do some research before commiting to this idea LoveJoy.

By the time you are qualified, or eligable to fly air-taxi, the last thing you'll fancy doing is twatting about in ****e IFR up and down the UK for ****e pay.

Just trust me on this one.

As has been said already - your backside will need sealing with duck tape before take-off on half the flights you do.

VFE.