PDA

View Full Version : Can We Claim Back The Vat

Phoney Tony
14th Jun 2007, 16:46
Does the MoD claim back the VAT on our T&S claims etc?

I know other government departments require VAT receipts so they can recover the VAT.

I do not see how this is done on JPA, and we are not required to obtain a VAT receipt, as far as I am aware.

Is it possible for us to claim the VAT back?

airborne_artist
14th Jun 2007, 17:24
VAT is only claimable by VAT registered businesses and individuals, who can reclaim VAT charged to them on inputs (purchases) that they use in the course of trading. They then have to charge VAT on all their outputs (sales).

Government departments can only claim/charge VAT on items bought and sold in the course of trading activities.

I'm therefore fairly certain that the MoD can not reclaim VAT for normal expenses claims, though if the MoD supplies a service (band, aircraft for films, etc) then the MoD could reclaim the VAT element of costs incurred, but would have to charge VAT on the service.

Quite why a VAT receipt is needed by other depts. is unclear, but I'm certain that you can't personally reclaim any VAT, otherwise you'd be getting back more than you paid out, surely?

Pontius Navigator
14th Jun 2007, 17:41
A_A, I think he meant the department claiming the VAT back.

Phoney Tony
14th Jun 2007, 23:33
Checked again with my source.

They hand in VAT receipts with claims.

The claim form is created in a similar way to JPA, with an indication that an item has a VAT receipt.

The software indicates how much VAT has been added to the claim.

I am not sure what happens after that.

A_A

If we could claim VAT back I think we would be able to afford to eat a little better.

Maybe an extras Mars Bar with butter on it.

threepointonefour
15th Jun 2007, 10:38
Can we claim back the VAT?

... only if you're registered for VAT.

ps. It takes about 2.5 mths to process a new application.