PDA

View Full Version : Airbus into BHD

mr Q
14th Jun 2007, 13:18
I have been curious about the A319 A 320and A 321 operations into BHD.
Are there special restrictions due to the size and location of the airfield??
I have asked this question before but never received any reply (not even a rude one.....unusual for PPRuNe...)
Can anyone answer??

WHBM
14th Jun 2007, 14:39
I have been curious about the A319 A 320and A 321 operations into BHD.
Are there special restrictions due to the size and location of the airfield??
I have asked this question before but never received any reply (not even a rude one.....unusual for PPRuNe...)
Can anyone answer??
Let me try without being rude :)

There are no restrictions and BMI use all three types on scheduled service into there (although the A321 is just about to leave their fleet).

There was a temporary restriction on the A321 a couple of years ago, this was due to a particular A321 (only) situation when operating with full flaps (which are required at BHD due to runway length) and some other combinations of circumstances. It meant the A321 was restricted from landing with full flap anywhere but BHD was one of the few places where it was required. It was a software issue which, as so often with such problems, took one day to fix and then six months to validate. During that time BMI had to rejig aircraft rosters so the A321 avoided BHD.

The software issue could lead to the A321 getting into some phugoid oscillations on finals which apparently is what is seen on a well-known video clip on the web of a TAP A321 having a distinctly unstable approach to Lisbon airport during strong crosswinds.

ATCO17
15th Jun 2007, 03:05
Hey WHBM, would be interested to hear your thoughts on a 319 operating fairly regularly - well two or three times in the last week - out of a 5500ft runway. Not trying to be funny or anything, but wasn't what I expected inbound at times, and was a little concerned. Not highly loaded, maybe 29 POB at most, and seemed to get airborne on departure after maybe 4000ft. Just interested in performance etc.....

oldlag53
15th Jun 2007, 08:42
Do I hear that the A318 is being certificated to fly into LCY?? Wow...the landing's hairy enough in a 146 !!

chrism20
15th Jun 2007, 12:05
Do I hear that the A318 is being certificated to fly into LCY?? Wow...the landing's hairy enough in a 146 !!

Trials were done with A318 last year at LCY, not sure if anything was signed off though.

ImageGear
15th Jun 2007, 15:32
As a bit of a commuter at BHD I am interested to know what might replace the A321 bearing in mind the aircraft are always full in the mornings and I don't think anything larger can get in ?

PS The dip in the middle of 04 makes for the occasionally interesting, sinking followed by extended, rotation.

Imagegear.

WHBM
16th Jun 2007, 05:47
......would be interested to hear your thoughts on a 319 operating fairly regularly - well two or three times in the last week - out of a 5500ft runway....... seemed to get airborne on departure after maybe 4000ft.
Runway at EGAC/BHD is 6,000 feet (1,829m), not 5,500 feet. Getting airborne by the 2/3 mark seems standard to me - what's the issue ?

As a bit of a commuter at BHD I am interested to know what might replace the A321 bearing in mind the aircraft are always full in the mornings The A321 has already gone on most days. On the early morning departures the 79 is most commonly an A319 and the 81 and 83 are usually an A320. BMI's A321s were apparently more than usually expensive in lease costs and any revenue benefit from the extra capacity, only actually used on one or two flights a day, was going straight out of the door again.

Down Three Greens
16th Jun 2007, 13:06
A318 is certified for steep appraoch. Requires a 'steep approach' pushbutton which activates revised flight control logic. The approach is flown with some spoilers out to create more drag.

Doors to Automatic
16th Jun 2007, 18:46
I read that somewhere as well - sounds like one hell of a fudge! Not sure I would be happy flying into LCY on a 318!! :ooh:

chrism20
16th Jun 2007, 22:56
I read that somewhere as well - sounds like one hell of a fudge! Not sure I would be happy flying into LCY on a 318!!

I don't know could be entertaining :}, the BA RJ100's are nice going into LCY especially on a windy day. Makes flying fun

WHBM
17th Jun 2007, 07:21
sounds like one hell of a fudge!
Not really. The 146 has rear fuselage-mounted speedbrakes which are normally only deployed as you come over the threshhold, but at London City are extended throughout from establishing finals. It's a comparable approach.