PDA

View Full Version : Off to New York - BA 744 or CO 757?

scruggs
13th Jun 2007, 16:24
Advice wanted please? I'm off to NY next March and have the following flight options (cattle class):

A) EGLL-KJFK-EGLL. (747)

B) EGBB-KEWR-EGBB. (757)

Option B is slightly more expensive, but means departing from my local airport. Any thoughts/opinions on which service you would choose and why? I’ve flown on the BA747s before – and was impressed, but have never flown with CO before so can’t really compare and make an informed decision.

Thanks,
S.

Stretchwell
13th Jun 2007, 16:34
If you are going to Manhattan then Newark is closer. I work for BA but the attraction of the local airport does it for me. I've flown CO a while ago and they were ok. It's a lot of hassle driving to LHR and expensive parking so would you really save much?

slim_slag
13th Jun 2007, 16:52
Total time from door to door.

Total cost from door to door.

Assess the importance to yourself of time and cost and come up with a decision.

Heathrow starts off with -100 points because it's a mess, it it's close then go via Gatwick. If it's not close, go via Gatwick :) Plane equipment is irrelevant to me, both flights will be equally uncomfortable in the back.

Cluster One
13th Jun 2007, 17:09
BA/LHR for me every time.
Big choice of departure times from LHR vs. single flight per day with CO.
I did travel (once) with CO from BHX, and they only had overhead IFE screens in Y.

JFK into Manhattan via AirTrain and LIRR is a breeze.

Regards

CHIVILCOY
17th Jun 2007, 22:21
East coast go CO and avoid LHR hassles. If it were West coast I would go BA.

MancRed
18th Jun 2007, 10:37
I have travelled CO EWR-MAN on B757 it was a bit cramped down the back and the on board service was poor, and you had to pay for drinks...the flight was under 6hrs which was the only highlight..
as for BA I have travelled a few times MAN-JFK-MAN B767 v good all round
Also MAN-LHR-JFK-LHR-MAN and although it was a long day there and back the service on board out weighed that...so for me it is BA for comfort/service on board and CO for speed..

IanH
18th Jun 2007, 12:42
I have done both in recent months .... The hour or so wait from departing the terminal at JFK to take off put me off using BA return to JFK again ... The CO flight was airborne very shortly after pushback at Newark ...

jack_essex
18th Jun 2007, 15:26
I have flown with BA to New York on two seperate occasions, once to JFK and once to EWR. BA have never let me down in the past so I will continue to fly with no other airline to New York (Unless a very good deal comes up with Eos of course!). The New York flights with BA were great (both in World Traveller), good meals, free alcohol, good seat back entertainment and a very professional and helpful cabin crew. I have not flown with CO so cannot comment on their service. Although this does not matter for many people but I do not like travelling long haul on a single isle aircraft such as the 757, I find the 777 and 747 much more comfortable and spacious (if that is possible in economy). I also liked the fact that in JFK BA have their 'own' sort of terminal. But as you said BHX (corrected) is your local airport so you will need to weigh up the pros and cons for both and see which is the cheapest. Both airlines will get you to NYC.

scruggs
18th Jun 2007, 16:02
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with BA from Heathrow as we got a great deal on staying at the Renaissance Hotel just off the airport. So we're going down the day before and overnighting before flying out the following morning.

Thanks again,
S. :ok:

PS Jack_Essex - My local airport is Birmingham, which is where I would have flown CO to Newark.

MancRed
18th Jun 2007, 16:04
Good choice me thinks have a nice flight:ok:

pacer142
20th Jun 2007, 10:18
Never flown with CO, but I do know that legroom in BA economy on the 747s is dire, so I would do almost anything to avoid them. American's 767 and 777 are better, but I've never used CO.

seacue
20th Jun 2007, 10:51
Scruggs, Read your PM, please.