PDA

View Full Version : Nooooo ... not the monitor!!!

Jimmy Macintosh
13th Jun 2007, 00:23
Sad, sad, day in my home today...

Working on my computer, suddenly the monitor blinks off, then on, then off, then on, then the screen goes blank and the power light starts to slowly flash on then off every couple of seconds. Distinct smell of burning electronics permeates the room. Quickly power off the computer and unplug everything.
Bugger.
Lost a graphics card about a month ago, the screen went blank nothing more. Worried that it had happened again.
Thankfully I have a spare monitor, so used it to test the graphics card, all seems to be working fine.
Okay with the better monitor still disconnected from the computer I plugged it back in, power light flashes slowly, every couple of seconds. Bugger, unplugged it again, maybe the power cord has a short in it...swapped the cord over from the working one. Nope, light still flashing slowly.
Git.
The monitor is a 19" Norwood LCD less than a year old, the company I bought it from went out of business in my area less than a month a go, corporately they are still operating, just in different places.

Is it worth trying to get it repaired, whatever the problem is? or should I just hold out until I can afford a new one and stick with the much smaller screen (may as well be using an iPod for how small it now seems). I'm considering trying to see if I can send it back but trying to find the reciept may be an exercise in futility never mind finding it's box.

Just venting.

Wader2
13th Jun 2007, 08:25
Jimmy,

You do not need the receipt although it helps.

Remember they will have records for your monitor too. Best case would be like Dyson, they simply checked the model number and sent an engineer.

Worst case is the jobsworth 'no receipt no dice' BUT

Trading Standards advise that any proof of purchase will suffice - a bank or credit card statement for instance. If the purchase was on a credit card then you are home and dry as you have a case against the CC company as well.

Jimmy Macintosh
13th Jun 2007, 18:15
Wow, thanks for that, one thing I can do is get my bank statement that covers that purchase.

A light at the end of the tunnel. Nice.