PDA

View Full Version : PPL (H) Frpm PPL (A)

oli,_the_original
10th Jun 2007, 20:00
I currently hold a PPL (A) and was just wondering what is involved in also gaining a PPL (H), as i spent yesterday talking to a mate of mine who is a heli pilot, who started fixed wing, and only had two exams to do, plus limited flying. Roughly how many hours would it take?

Thanx, Oli

Bravo73
10th Jun 2007, 20:33
To pass the course in minimum time, it'll take you a further 39 hours. (You'll receive a 6 hour concession on training for holding a PPL(A)).

And 2 exams (Principles of Flight and Flight Planning).

But, of course, all of these answers are already in LASORS. :ok:

HTH.

PS This applies to JAA. In FAA-land, the (H) is only seen as an add-on to a licence so the training requirements are less stringent (ie shorter!)

Bravo73
12th Jun 2007, 18:49
Don't worry, oli, you're welcome. It was no bother at all to go to the effort to answer your question.

:rolleyes:

:ugh:

oli,_the_original
12th Jun 2007, 19:38
Sorry about the late response Bravo73:uhoh:

Only started going through the posts here as been busy with all my exams and stuff, very much appreciated though.

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 20:05
You only have to take principles of flight. Thats all I took. Then the 39hrs training.

Bravo73
12th Jun 2007, 20:33
bose-x,

It pains me to have to quote from LASORS to you but Section C2.3 'Credits from Theoretical Knowledge Requirements' states:

"The holder of a UK or JAR PPL(A) [snip] is credited the theoretical knowledge examinations in Aviation Law & Operational Procedures, Navigation and Radio Aids, Meteorology and Human Performance & Limitations and JAR-FCL Communications (PPL) if already passed."

This, therefore, leaves Flight Planning and PoF.

And sorry for being a bit snappy, oli, but manners maketh man, and all that! ;)

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 20:38
I am under the impression that flight planning and ops is one exam. I was not made to do it again thats all I know. Then maybe it was because I had completed ATPL exams for the IR?

Bravo73
12th Jun 2007, 20:58
Nope. Wrong again, I'm afraid, bose.

Also from Section C2.3:

Exam 1: Aviation Law & Operational Procedures.

Exam 6: Flight Performance & Planning.

The bit that I snipped from the original quote was ", CPL(A) or ATPL(A)" so, no, your ATPL theory or IR wouldn't have absolved you from taking the 2 exams.

Maybe it was just an oversight on the part of your instructor and/or examiner... :}

Chukkablade
12th Jun 2007, 21:09
I did exactly that transition after getting very bored of fixed wing (ooooh, can of worms!:}) earlier this year, and as Bravo says, it's two exams plus the flying hours.

For me, doing the (A) course beforehand was an unintentional, lucked-out smart move. It meant I didn't have to burn expensive flying hours learning nav, airmanship and radio. Spending £3 a minute learning those skills would have been a bit of a dent in the old budget I could have done without.

When it comes to fun factor, well put it this way. I never wanted to take the fixed wing stuff to a 'getting paid for it' level, but the (H), I definately do.

All I can say is go for it, and good luck.:ok:

Whirlybird
12th Jun 2007, 21:59
When it comes to fun factor, well put it this way. I never wanted to take the fixed wing stuff to a 'getting paid for it' level, but the (H), I definately do.

My feelings exactly, having gone the same route. :ok:

davidatter708
12th Jun 2007, 22:01
I'm going to be dense and slightly off the subject why are helicopters more expensive to train in than a c152.
David
ps please dont kill me for stupidity

Chukkablade
12th Jun 2007, 22:05
Cheers Whirly, because for a long time, I thought I was the only PPL(A) out there NOT to have the Airline dream in my head. In the club I flew in, every single one of the bods there was either Airline obsessed (if under 30) or Instructor rating obsessed (if over 30).

Got a teensy bit wearing after a while really.:{

Bravo73
12th Jun 2007, 22:27
I'm going to be dense and slightly off the subject why are helicopters more expensive to train in than a c152.
David

Remember, David, there's no such thing as a stupid question. ;)

Anyway, although this is slightly off topic and probably deserves a thread of it's own, it's quite simple. A helicopter has got a lot more moving parts than a C152. And all of these moving parts need a lot more maintenance. And this costs a lot more.

Added to this is the fact that helicopters cost more to develop (because they are more aerodynamically complex) and fewer units are sold hence the purchase price per unit is much higher.

But don't worry, it's not all bad: Helicopters might cost twice as much to train in (and we get paid half as much) but they are at least four times as fun! :ok:

BHenderson
12th Jun 2007, 22:28
David,

Why is a helicopter more to run than a C152?

Simple. Running costs are higher.

Robinson R22, example per hour

£40 Fuel (8USG per hour)
£32 Rebuild/Overhaul
£25 Insurance/Maintenance
£97 Total
+ profit, instructor, VAT

Just have a look at running costs for group owned C152's to compare.

Bobby

Whirlygig
12th Jun 2007, 23:23
I thought I was the only PPL(A) out there NOT to have the Airline dream in my head.
And I will "third" that! I have never flown a fixed wing aircraft at all. Ever.

I sort of wanted to but never got round to it then, one day, I had a flight in a Bolkow105 and the rest, as they say, is history! Certainly now I have no ambition to go fixed wing.

Cheers

Whirls

oli,_the_original
13th Jun 2007, 15:45
No worries Bravo73, i was totally at fault. I think moving the heap of crap which has accumulated on the desk for 'revision' would help as 'tidy desk, tidy mind'

Thanx for the rest of the replies as well. I enjoy fixed wing, and one of the main reasons for going for the (H) add on is that it does sound a bit more fun being able to fly lower and also very impressive landing in the gardens of friends and pubs, which he has done on more than one occasion apparently:D

Would having a licence to fly by PPL (A) and (H) affect your insurance in a positive way?

Thanx, Oli

Bravo73
13th Jun 2007, 16:18
the (H) add on
Remember, in the eyes of JAA, PPL(A) and PPL(H) are separate licences. This is a slightly different system to the FAA.

Would having a licence to fly by PPL (A) and (H) affect your insurance in a positive way?

Probably not. It's still going to be high! ;)

oli,_the_original
13th Jun 2007, 17:47
Oh well, worth a try:)

englishal
13th Jun 2007, 20:21
Do it in America !!!

Why...?....because the fixed wing hours will count towards the "total time" element. My and my mate are going to convert our CPL(A)'s to CPL(H) with IR in the USA this autumn. We have the mandatory hours on type requirement, and of course we have to be able to fly the thing to CPL standards, but many of the other requirements are already met....So it is pretty much training as required.

One of the instructors we chatted to, said to budget $10,000 and about 50 hours for the CPL/IR(H) from CPL/IR(A).

A new challenge. Hope I don'tlike flying Helo's more than fixed wing or else I'll have even less money!

slim_slag
14th Jun 2007, 08:22
Yes EnglishAl, definitely the way to do it. From my own enquiries and advice given I'd say you should budget a bit more than that, 65 hours if you pick it up quickly, 90 hours if not so quickly. I guess you could ask on Rotorheads for a more expert answer. Plenty of rotary jobs in the States too....

gcolyer
14th Jun 2007, 09:00
And I will "third" that! I have never flown a fixed wing aircraft at all. Ever.

Are you sure on that?? shall I refer you to the below link

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=276645

And quote you from the above link:

......this morning, while teaching quickstops to a student.

668 rotary, 332 fixed-wing (includes a few microlight, gyroplane etc), for anyone who's interested.

Whirlygig
14th Jun 2007, 09:07
gcolyer, please don't falsify quotes by putting = whirlygig after the VB code [quote] because anyone with a titter of wit will realise that the link you have posted is from Whirlybird, not me. Whirlybird has a PPL(A) and is an instructor; I only have a PPL(H) and am not an instructor. We are two different, although similar(!) people.

Cheers

Whirls

gcolyer
14th Jun 2007, 09:09
Oops.

That'll teach me for cutting and pasting. And not reading names.

And on that note sorry.

And do you know I have never noticed there was a Whirlygig and Whirlybird!! I just looked at Whirly and left it at that!! what a muppet!

Whirlygig
14th Jun 2007, 09:20
You are not the first and sure as hell won't be the last but Whirlybird is Whirly and I am Whirls - we came to that agreement a few years ago in order to avoid confusion!

I will concede however, that I have 15 minutes glider time!

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlybird
14th Jun 2007, 13:35
We are two different, although similar(!) people.

Nah, Whirls, I'm not at all like you. ;):) Different as chalk and cheese, we are. How could anyone on here mix us up? :):):)
Cheers,
Whirly

gcolyer
14th Jun 2007, 13:50
Well people can mix you up by being a bell end like me and not reading properly :bored: