PDA

View Full Version : Croft Farm Flyin today - Oops!!!

EastMids
9th Jun 2007, 23:20
Fortunately no one was seriously injured during the taking of this photo:

http://www.andymartin.btinternet.co.uk/Oops2.jpg

My sympathies (as a fellow GA pilot) go to the owner/pilot of G-CDRM - who reportedly suffered a nose gear collapse on landing - and the pilot of the other a/c (also reportedly OK) that ended up in a field at the end of the runway at Croft Farm after an engine failure on take off...

It was a super event marred by two incidents - will try to post a few more photos later, when I have a chance to process them.

Andy

Taildragger
9th Jun 2007, 23:53
Yeah....a nasty one. We were actually lined up on 09 waiting for the RV to clear after he had rolled out, and was horrified to find she had nosed over.
Fire engine at the event was somewhat slow off the mark (Probably getting the crew rounded up) but the Paramedics were on the scene and two Helimeds responded. It was dealt with quickly and thankfully the injuries were not life threatening. Plenty of guys around to lift the craft.
It was bit of an anxious time waiting for word that they were OK though.
We had to shut down for around 45 minutes and it was dealt with fairly quickly. :ouch:

EastMids
9th Jun 2007, 23:58
Taildragger - if you departed when the airfield reopened, you missed the fact that there was another a/c ended up in a field beyond the end of the runway after they changed to 27 - it took off with a VERY distinct fluctuation in engine power and some black smoke from the exhaust, then went down. Pilot got out entirely OK.

I am not trying to sensionalise this stuff - despite the fact that on this occasion I was a road visitor and that there were no serious injuries, I have lost a lot of interest in flying right now.

Andy

tangovictor
10th Jun 2007, 00:42
thankfully no one seriously injured, where the 2 accidents linked in any way ?

Taildragger
10th Jun 2007, 00:44
East Mids - Yes we did miss it. We were first out after the RV7 nosed over and I didn't know about the EFATO till you mentioned it in your post.
Happily, on this occasion all walked away. I think that's enough excitement for one day.!! What was the engine failure.? What type/reg.?
By the way - a superb photograph.! I assume you were taking shots of the RV on landing and happened to be ready to get the money shot. It has the lot....action, drama and excitement.

Fuji Abound
10th Jun 2007, 07:24
Beautiful aircraft - so sorry to see it damaged, but glad all are well. An excellent series of photos as well. Thanks for sharing.

I was slightly surprised she nosed over.

I assume the aircraft was still going quite fast when the nose gear collapsed?

Presumably the spinner dug in, creating a good enough pivot for the tail to lift over?

Humaround
10th Jun 2007, 08:33
The second aircraft to suffer an accident yesterday at Defford is a Silence Twister - engine sounded rough after take-off and the aircraft lost height rapidly from about 50', making a forced landing in the next field after the runway (27) which is rape-seed crop. The pilot walked away, but I imagine the aircraft was quite badly damaged - it was recovered by trailer later in the evening.

It was truly heartbreaking to see G-CDRM on its roof beside the strip all day - so glad there were no serious injuries (pilot broke collar-bone I believe). I hope the aircraft and pilot make a full recovery.

Despite these accidents (which I can't imagine were in any way connected) it was a great day attended by a large crowd, impressive aerobatic display by a P51 Mustang, and a stately fly-past by a DC-3.

Lots of money was raised for the Mission Aviation Fellowship (which flies the sick out of isolated parts of the third world) and the Air Ambulance - I was collecting for this and the public could not have had a clearer demonstration of the Air Ambulance's work!

Thanks to all who attended and helped.

poor southerner
10th Jun 2007, 09:21
I think that's the second time that twister has eaten mud. What engine are they using in it these days, something larger than when they first came out ?

sternone
10th Jun 2007, 09:35
Glad nobody got killed... awesome pictures made...

finalglide
10th Jun 2007, 12:24
Hi as one of the two twister pilots thought I would give you an update about yesterday.
The Twister involved suffered a loss of power on take off and due to length of the strip an on field landing was not possible.
The twister landed in the overshoot field with the gear partially extended.
The damage is limited to a new prop and landing gear drive. The twister will be back in the air as soon as we can find out why the engine lost power.
Finally we would like to thank all at Croft farm for there help and assistance :ok:

Humaround
10th Jun 2007, 16:43
Glad the damage isn't too bad FG!

Very efficient recovery operation going on in the crops whilst I was giving various little nephews their first ever flight, in the Emeraude.

Taildragger
10th Jun 2007, 17:27
Finalglide.....
Commiserations on the broken prop, and preumeably shocked engine.
Am delighted that you and our friends in the RV7A all walked away to fight another day. We were supposed to take off aftet he RV7 cleared the runway, but just when you thought things couldn't get worse......sure enough, they got a damn sight worse.!!!!!

Rod1
10th Jun 2007, 19:55
“I think that's the second time that twister has eaten mud. What engine are they using in it these days, something larger than when they first came out ?”

It has a Jabiru 85hp, but the first incident was fuel system not engine.

Rod1

cruisermikecz
11th Jun 2007, 14:00
Sorry to witness the loss of power and subsequent damage. If it helps in analysing the reason for failure: as soon as the throttle was opened to begin taxying from the parking area I noted two or three "streaks" of blue smoke appeared from the RHS exhaust pipes but it cleared almost immediately.

In retrospect I wish I had found a way of alerting the pilot but how and when stood on the sidelines of an air display does a spectator do that?