PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter banner vidoes - YouTube links

Banner Man
9th Jun 2007, 06:21
The video links I've posted here are to show the chopper community what we are up to with Skybanner helicopter banners around the world
Thanks to all the pilots who have flown our banners - an amazing range of skills and aptitude - we only make and design the banners, you guys fly them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13afOoOpaXw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnC7y7yx2BE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWzqCSUomY

rotors88
10th Jun 2007, 02:03
Invented banner towing in 95??, I don't think so, I flew some back in 88 to 91 & in the USA they were flying them long before that, as was the RAN flying thier white ensign back in the early 80's. Kiwi's must live in the dream time to lay such claims ;)

Banner Man
10th Jun 2007, 05:31
Please let's not start this again. I've put the videos up to show the pilots some of our banner flying - forgive me the "marketing" angles or whatever in the actual videos (only one, which is our showreel...!)

Yes 'banners' were flown prior. No I didn't see yours. Yes your comment won't be the only one along this line.
(To sum the facts up, we took it commercial; we got the first FAA approvals for commercial helicopter banners)

We helped pave the way, as you did, as a lot of the pilots I've worked with have.
We make great banners, our safety record's unblemished, and we work hard to make it work in many places around the world.

Can you leave it at that and enjoy the videos please. Please!

TheMonk
10th Jun 2007, 05:58
Some people have no shame.:=

Hughesy
10th Jun 2007, 14:35
Hi Bannerman.

Just out of interest, what are the safety systems on the banner? A company I worked for did a tow, but because of the large weight underneath we had to stay over the water incase of emergency. Wouldnt want that to land on someone. A company back home have a system where the weight (water) gets dumped out and turns in a parachute. Not sure how it works.

Just interested in what your systems have.

Good videos by the way.

Hughesy

Banner Man
11th Jun 2007, 00:31
Hi Hughesy

We use sand as ballast in the weight bag - more reliable than water ie won't leak, and it does get very knocked around sometimes in take-off/landing.
Main rope is 60m (standard banners are 25m x60m); we use a secondary safety-rope connected to a cabin-sling, in rear of chopper; when main rope is disconnected from cargo hook, load goes to safety-rope, which opens and releases sand from bag, after which sling is released to let load go, and it all can float down safely. Obviously there's some more technical details, but that's the basics.
Cabin-sling & safety rope are operated by trained 'wingman' that we use in all flights. (Can also be operated/released by pilot). Two sets of eyes - double the experience on board. And gives us more options to handle any and all situations...worse of which is hook failure... using this system lets us hang onto it if there's a motorway or high tension wires etc below.
It's very much a team effort (and any of you guys that have flown know how exciting it is up there on a two hour flight - company's good!)