PDA

View Full Version : Drop the Pilot

Mr Blake
8th Jun 2007, 12:52
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/08/nraf108.xml

Can't believe no-one's picked up on this. RAF and Navy struggling to recruit FJ Aircrew. Sign of the times or something more serious?

Wader2
8th Jun 2007, 13:05
Mr Blake, congratulations. You tied for first post with A_A who also filed at 1352.

Gnd
8th Jun 2007, 16:21
Apparently there are loads of 'spare' rotary pilots; give them a crack?:\

will fly for food 06
8th Jun 2007, 16:43
not to mention people leaving when they are inside the training system too

stickmonkeytamer
8th Jun 2007, 16:54
Surely, with some of these individuals not being able to get through the ever-tougher training system due to lack of re-flys, etc, only a few will trickle onto the sqns.

As all SO2 and many SO3 pilots at my unit are leaving or have left at their option points over the last 2 years to fly civie, what will happen (apart from closing/ amalgamating sqns v more time OOA per sqn) to the sqns now?

Maybe less people are applying after reading how the good life is on here? Glad that we are doing our bit to aid recruitment!

Maybe they are just starting to initiate the plan to have UAVs in service sooner, all linked up to Microsoft Flight Simulator ("2004" version, not "X" as we can't afford the pc spec to run the latest version on- we'd have trouble running version 5.1 on most of them)...

SMT

PPRuNeUser0211
8th Jun 2007, 20:59
Tougher to chop people? How's that? What about the arbitrary choppage of a third of the guys at linton in the not to distant past?

FJ2ME
9th Jun 2007, 02:23
I've been waiting for this to come to fruition:

"We need to halve the IPS out of Valley so what we are going to do is replace the course of 12 guys every 6 weeks with, 6 guys every 12 weeks" Said the wing commander from Innsworth when he was explaining why 40% of us who passed Linton wouldn't be going to Valley. Even our maths wasn't that bad...Serves him right-oh wait a minute, he'll have been promoted by now and won't give a stuff and it'll be some other poor gits problem.

(Apparently, the cull was so we wouldn't have to hold for ridiculously long periods as well. How well did that go? 1 year wait for Shawbs, 8 months for Cranditz and 6 months for Valley...more arse)

I'm never sure any more whether these people are just liars or incompetents...

themightyimp
9th Jun 2007, 14:36
I'm never sure any more whether these people are just liars or incompetents...

They are both. They lie; no one believes them so they are also incompetent :ok:

Impiger
9th Jun 2007, 19:04
Blakey

We're not struggling to recruit pilots - we are struggling to train them!

Roland Pulfrew
9th Jun 2007, 19:13
Impiger
Sorry but you are wrong. We are struggling to recruit them as well. Training is having a difficult time due to a shortage of QHI/QFIs at most units. But then we are fighting 2 wars so it is somewhat difficult for the frontline to release pilots to become instructors. We seem to be stuck in that old chicken/egg situation again!!:uhoh:

FJ2ME

Apparently, the cull was so we wouldn't have to hold for ridiculously long periods as well. How well did that go? 1 year wait for Shawbs, 8 months for Cranditz and 6 months for Valley...

Actually the cull was to avoid the alternative option which was to make the 40% redundant. That way there would have been no holding problem to deal with. Fortunately for them (you?) AMP decided that was not an acceptable solution.