PDA

View Full Version : Basic GPS advice wanted

170'
8th Jun 2007, 09:08
Hi Folks

Could anyone give advice/opinion on any very basic currently available (Europe) GPS. I'm looking for a backup unit for when I change aircraft. Just the minimum of information is all I want...

Waypoint list...'go to' function...track/GS...As simple as possible.

Thanks for any advice....170'

Three Blades
8th Jun 2007, 09:14
Garmin eTrex or geko.
Size of a mobile phone
Data uploadable via PC
You can get them for under £100
v simple though

Aesir
8th Jun 2007, 09:17
A good basic all around handheld portable map GPS is the Garmin 60Csx
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310

A very good Map GPS with aviation database but not really very basic is the Garmin 296. I have one and the display is much larger and better than in the "trail" handheld GPS´s.

I recommend the 296 or 276 which is the same but without the Jeppesen database and significantly cheaper.

170'
8th Jun 2007, 16:38
Thanks for the suggestions guys...

I got an offer of a 'nearly' unused Garmin 12 and it's just what I was looking for....

Sierra_Golf
8th Jun 2007, 17:10
I had never used a GPS unit before, and have very recently bought a Garmin 196, and i´m very happy with it after taking it up on it´s first flight.

Very easy to use, very informative, big display screen (for a hand-held), an excelent piece to bring along on a cross country flight. Not too expensive (about 420 £ new, but with a lot of accessories thrown in on the deal, such as the yoke mount, power cable, PC cable, remote antena, etc...).

johned0
8th Jun 2007, 17:20
How about the Foretrex : https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=257. I use one which I clip to my kneeboard.

It is great because you can enter waypoint coords very easily and just hit the goto button. I choose the display that shows : direction, distance and time to destination.

I don't think you can get much simpler than this :) but the neat thing is that you can still d/l your flight to google earth at the end of the day.

John

170'
9th Jun 2007, 08:26
Thanks ppl...

JohnedO

Not off the wall at all...Looks like a great gadget !

Thanks for the tip!...170'