PDA

View Full Version : Eric Matheson

Moose47
7th Jun 2007, 20:42
G'day Chaps

I have been avised to post here with regards to Eric Matheson. Eric and I learned to fly together back in 1973/74. I'd like to hear from anyone who worked with him.

Cheers...Chris

Numero Crunchero
8th Jun 2007, 09:54
Eric the red,
good guy....only FO not to sign the 'voluntary' contract in 1994 and still got upgraded. Great captain to fly with. Only knew from flying with him...we shared a similar passion about trying to make money from markets...but unlike many of our peers he would actually admit to losing it:-)

Sadly missed... idealistic, honourable and never never boring!

Moose47
8th Jun 2007, 17:35
G'day Numero Crunchero

Thanks for the response.

I posted the following on antother site here on pprune.

Cheers...Chris

He did very well for himself after leaving the farm in Saskatchewan to join the Royal Canadian Navy as a photographer.

Eric and my buddy Chris Hadfield (callsigns KN02 and KN04) flew the first Canadian Air Force intercept of a Russian Bear in May 1985 after the CF-188 Hornet became operational. Of course Chris went on to fly on the Space Shuttle.

Did he ever tell you about having two engine failures in one week. One was with his Woody Pusher. He dead sticked on the 9th hole of the Base Golf Club. Happens that the Base Commander was about to tee off when Eric dropped in. Six days later he had an engine failure on one of the Base Flying Club's C-172. He made a forced landing at the Waterville airstrip 12 nautical east of CFB Greenwood. Eric was fearless.

Other stories to follow if you'd like.

Again, thanks for the kind words about a dear friend.

P.S. If you ever run across Craig Halliwell (spelling ?), callsign 'Curly', tell him the NORAD Santa Claus says hello.

Pictures available upon request!!!

Cheers...Chris

FlexibleResponse
9th Jun 2007, 13:17
We called him "Eric the Red" for good reason.

Passionate, committed, a team player and most definitely someone you wanted on your side going into a fight zone.

We wish there more Erics.

BScaler
12th Jun 2007, 09:11
Eric was a true and principled individual. Proof that only the good die young.

Eric's decision to leave Cathay and break out of those golden handcuffs proved to be most prescient, and one has to shake one's head when considering the tide of opinion and generally considered wisdom that he swam against when he made his move to leave.

It was in marching to the beat of his own drum that Eric made his life the success it was. It is safe to say that he packed more into his time on this planet than most of us would in a couple of lifetimes.

He was certainly an inspiration to me, and although I did not know him well, I will never forget him.