PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Google search when abroad problem

Richard Spandit
7th Jun 2007, 20:05
Great English there in that title...

Basically, when I connect to a network abroad (most of our destinations are in Spanish speaking countries) anything I type into the Google box at the top of Firefox gets forwarded to a local Google site and thus appears in Spanish.

Is there any way to force Firefox/Google to only search google.co.uk?

Keef
7th Jun 2007, 20:09
I don't know of one offhand, but why not set up a link in the bookmarks toolbar to go to google.co.uk?

My bookmarks toolbar has a variety of stuff on there. A middle-click opens a new tab for the search, while keeping open what I was previously looking at.

BLUE SKY THINKER
7th Jun 2007, 23:43
A bit hazy on the subject, but possibly this all revolves around the subject of 'geotargeting', 'local search' etc. Google can target specific ads to you based on location (although far from perfect I gather for a variety of reasons) and in reverse will provide search results based on a number of parameters; IP addresses, server locations, domain name addresses etc. (There are even websites displaying dual Google results for the same query from different countries).

Maybe your problem originates from this scenario, or maybe some sort of redirection to Google Spain, courtesy of your Spanish ISP's (?). Either way, it's easily resolved; Keef's previous bookmark suggestion being the quickest.

Are you referring to use of the Google Toolbar as an Add-On to Firefox, or the Firefox Search Bar (in which you can do Google searches, amongst others)? If the former, there is always the option to ditch it and make use of the latter and set up specific individual Google country based search engines, be it UK, Spain, or wherever. See the last paragraph of post #5, HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275340)