PDA

View Full Version : Internal vacancy for TRM/dispatchers

Smell the Coffee
7th Jun 2007, 19:37
Had a quick browse of the last 2 pages to see if there was any further info but to no avail; a vacancy (I assume more than just 1) has come up within my company for Turnaround managers - this is something that I have kept my eye on for a while.
I wonder whether anyone might offer some advice; I have worked for the company for just over 2 years as cabin crew - I still enjoy my job very much but would leave in an instant as the role of dispatcher is something I would adore - they are constantly under pressure on so many fronts, I understand this because I meet them on the plane every other day.
My question really is whether you would consider someone from the crew community as having some of the necessary skills & experience to excel in this role - my concern is 1) my brief spell in the company so far, and
2) the fact that many of my colleagues have said that TRMs usually need to have worked in another ground-based role as this will have given them very useful knowledge of ground-based systems/procedures that we as cabin crew simply don't have or don't know about.
I'm sure I won't be the only applicant from the crew community, but I certainly won't be the most qualified, hence my hesitation.

Dropline
8th Jun 2007, 13:51
You don't say what company you work for, but have you thought about asking a friendly dispatcher if you could shadow them for a few flights? Most of us are happy to show people who are interested what we do. It would mean giving up some free time, but would give you a proper insight into what the job involves, and look good on your application! It might also give you the chance to meet the people responsible for selecting the new turnaround managers and that can only be a good thing. A lot of your skills as cabin crew would be very transferable to dispatch, and if you got the job, you would be trained in the ground systems and procedures. Go for it!

Smell the Coffee
11th Jun 2007, 15:45
Thanks for the advice Dropline...more than happy to use free time to learn new things.

rgds