PDA

View Full Version : pretty ladies banned from nose art

scribbler614
5th Jun 2007, 14:13
This just in (courtesy of newshounds at Solent News and Photo Agency). Apparently decision was taken some time back, but MOD confirm it is indeed to do with not offending equal opportunities sensibilities. No more ladies on the nose.
Thoughts, anyone? Dragging the RAF into the 21st Century, or stamping out a harmless and traditional morale booster?

RAF chiefs have risked a bust-up with pilots by forcing them to break with years of tradition and black out pictures of glamorous pin-ups painted on their jets.
In the 1940s it was common to see the likes of Rita Hayworth and Jane Russell adorning Lancaster bombers and US Flying Fortresses as they set off to their German targets.
Countless more pictures of anonymous girls were splashed across aircraft, in poses almost as risque as their crews' missions were risky.
Sixty years on, British airmen fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan decided to bring the practice into the 21st century with pictures of models such as Lucy Pinder.
But their plans were shot down before they got off the ground by politically correct bosses worried about offending female crew members and Muslim locals.
Senior commanders got hot under the collar when they heard about the paintings, and immediately ordered that any drawings on Harrier jets be blacked-out to silhouettes only.
RAF Strike Command feared that having too much flesh on display ran the risk of putting off female recruits, who could view the images as sexist.
And in a country where many women wear full burkhas, there was also the worry that pictures offending local culture could spark a diplomatic incident.
Concerned that even the outlines were too provocative, they have now ordered that the images be removed completely.
Lucy, 23, is disappointed the troops weren't allowed to have their fun.
Last November she visited Afghanistan with friend and fellow page 3 model Michelle Marsh as part of a morale-boosting tour, and even signed one of the planes carrying her picture.
She was shocked to hear of the enforced cover-up, saying she thought the pictures were 'harmless fun'.
Lucy, of Winchester, Hants, said: "It's very flattering, and it's nice that they get to do something that takes their minds off things for a while.
"It's a shame they had to change them to silhouettes. Rules are rules, but I don't think it's offensive.
"It's just the way it goes these days. They're doing a very hard job out there and we should all appreciate it.
"It's a very serious situation out there and this was a bit of frivolity allowing the lads a bit of fun and light relief.
"Anything that can cheer them up for a bit must be nice." The Ministry of Defence today said the 'nose art' had now been removed.
RAF bosses defended the ban as entirely appropriate, saying in a statement: "The Royal Air Force values and recognises the contribution of service personnel regardless of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or social background.
"To this end, the RAF promotes working in an environment that is free from harassment and where personnel are respected both for the contribution they can bring to the team and the value and potential they offer as individuals."

snapper41
5th Jun 2007, 14:16
Someone please tell me this is a joke...:mad::*:ugh:

airborne_artist
5th Jun 2007, 14:30
It must be true - it's in the Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=460054&in_page_id=1770) with some shots of current and past nose art :ugh:

scribbler614
5th Jun 2007, 14:30
It's not a joke. MOD has confirmed it to me.

endplay
5th Jun 2007, 14:42
Why would it be a joke? If we are going to bomb the sh1t out of someone the very least we can do is to avoid offending their finer sensibilities.

Sunray Minor
5th Jun 2007, 14:46
Oh no! It's the end of the world.

OCCWMF
5th Jun 2007, 15:31
If so, surely there can be no objection to a suitably covered up (you can do a lot with 7 veils), hermaphrodite (you would want the 7 veils), ethnically non-specific, bisexual, otherwise-able nose art subject.

That could not offend anyone. Kudos to the 1st sqn artist to take that on!

Load Toad
5th Jun 2007, 15:34
"They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders
won't allow them to write **** on their airplanes because it's obscene! "

airborne_artist
5th Jun 2007, 15:38
Will the Army ban artillerymen from "decorating" shells? After all, you wouldn't want to upset someone just before they kiss their @rse goodbye, would you?

How about rude message on bombs - guess there are out for the same reason :}

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
5th Jun 2007, 15:45
I suppose the other Bomber tradition of painting cartoon characters (Mickey Mouse, Oor Willie, etc) would now demand royalties being paid to the copyright owner. Well, can you imagine the likes of 21st Century Disney letting it go for free?

How about painting on a "mooning" Bart Simpson? It used to be in the Honington Clipart collection. At least then everybody has a chance to be offended.

BluntedAtBirth
5th Jun 2007, 15:57
Clearly, all aircraft and bomds should only have the RAF Corporate Logo, or perhaps the Olympics 2012 design (see, it does have something to do with Military Aircrew :) )

airborne_artist
5th Jun 2007, 16:05
RAF Corporate Logo if they put the logo on, then they'd have to pay a royalty to Jervis. See para 101, sub section 2.003b

Yarpy
5th Jun 2007, 16:14
Would their Airships prefer a saucy picture of a gay moslem perhaps???

AR1
5th Jun 2007, 16:18
Saw a cracker on a B1 at Dyess once, it was some cartoon character with a large desert catus to his right. When you stepped 20m back, the context changed and it looked like he was actually offering the viewer 'The Finger'

Might be apt at this moment.

charliegolf
5th Jun 2007, 16:42
If so, surely there can be no objection to a suitably covered up (you can do a lot with 7 veils), hermaphrodite (you would want the 7 veils), ethnically non-specific, bisexual, otherwise-able nose art subject.

Tut Tut, OCCWMF, mustn't forget amputee.:=

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jun 2007, 16:54
Just don't think a one legged unshaven Earth Mother is in the same class as the Varga girls.

samuraimatt
5th Jun 2007, 16:58
I am sure a one legged unshaven Earth Mother will appeal to most GE's.

Krystal n chips
5th Jun 2007, 17:04
Will there now follow a retrospective airbrushing of all those photographs showing such from times past then ? :rolleyes:.....and a series of apologies for anybody offended by such depictions over the last how many years ??.

Talking Radalt
5th Jun 2007, 17:19
RAF Strike Command feared that having too much flesh on display ran the risk of putting off female recruits
In much the same vein then, someone better tell the Chinny fleet's own "Gloria Stitz" to hide her name badge. :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
5th Jun 2007, 17:34
Once everyone looks like this, they will be happy.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/JohnMajor.jpg

vecvechookattack
5th Jun 2007, 18:00
In much the same vein then, someone better tell the Chinny fleet's own "Gloria Stitz" to hide her name badge. :rolleyes:

Does that mean Hugh Jorgan has to change his name badge as well

XferSymbol
5th Jun 2007, 21:30
blogger.....you're a dick, good riddance. I've said it before, I'm sure you're some sort of wind up merchant. Any chance you can stop posting once you leave as well??

This is a piss-take surely.

rafmatt
5th Jun 2007, 21:32
Their worried about upsetting muslims.
I think the locals are more worried about the 500lb bomb landing on thier house then the ladies.

you should be at Kinloss
voluntary military run on a friday. BUT YOU HAVE TO GO NO EXCUSE.

makes it even worse im painter!

I love the RAF

Edited for swearing!

Ghostie31
5th Jun 2007, 21:39
http://www.temple.edu/isllc/newfolk/bigapple/images/bigapplem.jpg
Of which the writing on the B-2 says.....
"If you can read this........you're f**ked"
The Yanks know how to do it.

maxburner
5th Jun 2007, 21:40
Blogger,

I won't dignify that with a reply.

samuraimatt
5th Jun 2007, 21:40
Surely if we can see what is written then he is no longer a stealth bomber.

ShyTorque
5th Jun 2007, 22:20
Yes, surely it should say: "If you can see this WE'RE ****ed".

Not to mention all that money wasted on such a huge fighter.

Pontius Navigator
6th Jun 2007, 07:12
How about a picture of Percy Parrott?

1. It's a bird.

2. It could say "who's a pretty boy then":}

WhiteOvies
6th Jun 2007, 11:17
It started with names only - not even silhouettes! I think the Sun did an appropriate two page spread picture showing the relevant girls with a Harrier in the background. The silhouettes came later, although it sounds like they've been taken off now which is a shame/pointless. :ugh:
Well done to the girls for sticking up for us though!
Outbreak of morale?- stamp on it at once! :rolleyes:

maxburner
6th Jun 2007, 11:53
XferSymbol

Thanks for the intervention. Blogger clearly has ''issues''.

TEEEJ
6th Jun 2007, 15:30
Ghostie,

The image you posted of the B-2 is fake.

OCCWMF
6th Jun 2007, 15:42
No waaaaayyy!

or is that a wah?:suspect:

peppermint_jam
6th Jun 2007, 16:46
Here's a few from Ali Al, 2003.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/IMG_0027.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/IMG_0025.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/IMG_0008-2.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/IMG_0006.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/IMG_0004.jpg

Decades of tradition wiped out overnight, makes me sick. Lord knows what "PC" rubbish they will churn out next.

PPRuNeUser0211
6th Jun 2007, 17:50
Indeed does this mean that the classic ULAS "Tame the Tutor" patch featuring Jessica will have to be re-designed? Such a shame.....

OCCWMF
7th Jun 2007, 16:02
And presumably this will apply to all the Virgin aircraft as well?:rolleyes:

How many complaints were received I wonder?

passpartout
7th Jun 2007, 21:19
I always thought that the best ones in recent times were those on the Victors during GW1 and on the PR9s during GW2 - presumably the same artist. Are there any links to those pics?

Pontius Navigator
7th Jun 2007, 21:51
look here too:
http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/gwtornados1.htm

AC Ovee
8th Jun 2007, 01:04
I don't have a problem with the decision to ban paintings of half-dressed women on RAF aircraft. Its about respect for our female colleagues. Paintings of tiger teeth and other similar nose art is fine.

Dan Winterland
8th Jun 2007, 01:44
So no pretty girls as nose art. So I guess the Jag which had San and Tray, the 'Fat Slags' from Viz would be okay then!

The one's on the Victors were all painted by one of the groundcrew, and all the girls were the wives of Sqn personnel. 'Saucy Sue' was Mrs OC 55 Sqn and was originally called 'Slinky Sue', but from a distance it looked like "Stinky Sue!' It was renamed!

dallas
8th Jun 2007, 08:18
I don't have a problem with the decision to ban paintings of half-dressed women on RAF aircraft. Its about respect for our female colleagues. Paintings of tiger teeth and other similar nose art is fine.
God forbid our shrinking violets should ever find out that some people in this firm kill people. Best we paint out the roundels too, so as not to upset Ben Sherman or Mods. :*

snapper41
8th Jun 2007, 08:31
I don't have a problem with the decision to ban paintings of half-dressed women on RAF aircraft. Its about respect for our female colleagues.
I wonder what would be said if an all-female crew decided to paint a half-dressed Brad Pitt on their ac? Would any blokes complain?:hmm:

The AvgasDinosaur
8th Jun 2007, 10:00
Please excuse me if I appear naive, but I thought the major point of furkeling round at not many feet with lots of knots and decibels armed to the teeth was to upset some of the locals? Or have I missed something serious?
Be lucky
David
P.S. Perhaps if Choir Boys in provocative poses were to be substituted it might appeal to their airships sensibilities a bit more?
Ah!! well hat, coat door.............. back to jet blast for you boy

Grey'npointy
8th Jun 2007, 14:32
Anyone remember that fine publication, run in the 1990s by the junta on 29 Sqn? The Irrigator foresaw today's PC hysterics and illustrated a wheelchair-bound Asian person employed as a liney. The powers-that-be will be naming our jets 'Spirit of Adventure' next. Are there any more ways our lords and masters can think of to remove what enthusiasm and creativity remains among our over-worked and shot-at desert deployees?:rolleyes:

samuraimatt
8th Jun 2007, 19:32
I don't have a problem with the decision to ban paintings of half-dressed women on RAF aircraft.

Gay...........................

Talking Radalt
8th Jun 2007, 19:46
God forbid our shrinking violets should ever find out that some people in this firm kill people. Best we paint out the roundels too, so as not to upset Ben Sherman or Mods.
Should we paint over all the tail numbers for fear of insulting innumerate fcukwitz?

I wonder what would be said if an all-female crew decided to paint a half-dressed Brad Pitt on their ac? Would any blokes complain?
If you can find an all-female crew you'll find the answer.

Roland Pulfrew
8th Jun 2007, 19:47

In the words of the illustrious Lord Flashheart

What a nob!

Jimmy Macintosh
8th Jun 2007, 20:54
The Victor Nose Art...:ok:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/gulf/victors.html

(and artist)

Talking Radalt
8th Jun 2007, 22:30
Sweet baby Jesus and Mary Chain!:ooh:
And that filth is on the official RAF website! We're doomed! Doomed I tell thee! :uhoh:

:hmm:

SRENNAPS
9th Jun 2007, 20:33
I cannot believe this.

Don’t let this thread die.

I accept PC (no I don’t). But this really takes the P!$$.

Is it not time for everybody with any moral values to make a stand.

Bloody hell - dam buster dogs with changed names, can’t fly the Union Jack in certain countries, can’t talk about our past history without fear of upsetting somebody.

How the hell do our leaders sleep at night?

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jun 2007, 06:53
How the hell do our leaders sleep at night?

Restfully, on very expensive orthopedic mattresses, under down duvets paid for with your taxes while you stag on without equipment in the mud and mosquitoes in some backwater.

Been there, done that. Waaaaay more cynical now.

WildRover
10th Jun 2007, 07:40
Pathetic do gooders - just hope the "chaps" have some nerve and continue the tradition.

RFCC
10th Jun 2007, 16:10
Banning nose-art is nothing new. During Op Corporate the Victors coming out of St Athan, post major servicing, had some excellent nose artwork. The boys at the factory saw it as a morale boost and their extra contribution to the war effort. Unfortunately this was soon removed by order of the AOC. :{

SRENNAPS
10th Jun 2007, 16:29
over 6000 views and only 51 posts.

Come on, show your support for something that has been part of our history for years.

Enough of this PC. It really is time to show our leaders that we are not happy.

Sorry but I feel very strongly about this.

Fluffy Bunny
10th Jun 2007, 16:51
It's another illustration of the sad, pathetic, chair force we now have and hate. 'Suppose it got someone at (Hot)Air command a promotion though.

Maybe Baldrick in his bridesmaids dress would be suitable ....

Tiger_ Moth
10th Jun 2007, 16:59
This is everything that is wrong with our country and more

dum_my
13th Jun 2007, 20:02
I am unfamiliar with 'Lucy Pinder', but has this got something to do with it:

Lucy Pinder - Save Aeroplane Nose Art Campaign at RAF Museum (http://www.hotcelebshome.com/lucy-pinder-save-aeroplane-nose-art-campaign-at-raf-museum/)?

Maple 01
13th Jun 2007, 20:06
Pushed into it by SRENNAPS

IMO If you are expected to fly into danger as part of HM's flying club you can paint what the **** you like on the side of your 'plane

Kitbag
13th Jun 2007, 21:46
My two pennorth. Scantily clad ladies on aircraft of the RAF are a comparitively recent occurence- GW1 I think, certainly on Victors, Tornados and Jags (don't think Harrier pitched up for some reason) and following on in the footsteps of the US Air Force in its various incarnations during and after WW2. Look at the nose art on a Lanc, Halifax or any other RAF ac of that era and you will find skeletons, Mickey Mouse and big boots kicking Hitler, but very rarely, if ever, any copies of Varga's work. uring the 50's 60's 70's and 80's it didn't appear at all. I love scantily clad ladies, especially in the flesh, but get this outrage in proportion, it is NOT a tradition within the RAF. Maybe if one of the young thrusting pilots on this forum gets to CAS in a few years time it could become one?

Maple 01
13th Jun 2007, 22:39
May I point sir in the direction of Vicky the Vicious Virgin, a young lady adorning a Hallifax?

All right, she was RCAF but it sets a precident

TheWizard
13th Jun 2007, 22:44
May I point sir in the direction of Vicky the Vicious Virgin, a young lady adorning a Hallifax?
To be fair that is a Royal Canadian Air Force aircraft
Edit: Just seen the very faint footer on your post!!

Over_Shoot
13th Jun 2007, 23:02
http://www.acseac.co.uk/gallery/index.php?action=showgal&cat=84

Looks pretty convincing to me.

Just wondering, who will enforce this "policy" (Fun Police maybe?), and what will the punishment be? Return to the UK? Or will they just write a letter to the offenders dad?

OS

reacher
13th Jun 2007, 23:57
I have an excellent picture that will allow this rule to be bent some what. I just need somewhere to host it is all.

Over_Shoot
14th Jun 2007, 09:03
Can I paint a coloured, disabled poofta on my jet?

Only if the individual is a lower class transvestite with a rather nasty, but fashionable, disease.