PDA

View Full Version : Insurance & minimum hourly requirements

wheatbix
5th Jun 2007, 00:51
Hey guys, I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks should be the minimum hourly requirements for someone to take a machine on charter/private hire (as opposed to fires or anything else workload intensive like that). How many hours do you think someone should have on type (dual/ICUS/command) total before they can take that machine by themself?

I'm thinking mainly about the 22, 44, 206, 407 & squirrel, but opinions on any other types would be gladly received :)

GoodGrief
5th Jun 2007, 07:47
up here it is a bit suicidal, I think.

206L: PPL, type rating, 10 hours safety pilot, and off you go...

topendtorque
6th Jun 2007, 11:33
charter/private hire (as opposed to fires or anything else workload intensive like that).

I would suggest that anything charter or aerial work has "workload intensive" written into it.

You know;
"can we take a picture of that and keep turning around as we go?" I.E. some of the most dangerous stuff that young commercials joy flight operations can get themselves into. (yeah said this before eh?)

I do not recommend any pilot onto our various insurance policies until he / she has 250 hours in command with a fair load of that being ICUS and with appropriately spotless checkouts

I like to remember ( and find it very easy to do so) that insurance companies have just this year, in OZ anyway, offered premiums way below that which before we had to slave to pay.

If you are looking for an industry standard to help look after common sense insurance, then i recommend the common sense 250 hours before nomination.
tet

wheatbix
6th Jun 2007, 11:46
I see what you mean about awk, it is quite different from charter, with photography jobs being sometimes the most dangerous ("hold us there...bit slower...can you come down a bit lower and to the left too?").

What sort of machines do you fly tet and under what sort of applications/jobs? If its charter, for the ICUS, will you sit there with the pilot with the pax in the back?

GoodGrief
13th Jun 2007, 14:06
Just got the new quotation from our insurance.

We have taken on a new pilot/instructor with about 430 hours on H300, R22 and R44.
In order for him to fly our 206L we need:

Type rating (obviously)
10 hours safety pilot after TR

Safety pilot needs 500h TT, 500 turbine, 250 on type(that would be 206L, not just 206).
Until the new hire has at least 50 hours on type we have to take the double deductible/retention/excess in case he breaks it.

With these conditions there is no increase in premium.

GG