PDA

View Full Version : PVR but no Reserve Service???

Al Falauncher
4th Jun 2007, 14:44
Hi,
Does anyone know if you can you PVR, keep your pension and not have a reserve commitment? I'm starting PVR paperwork so I can emigrate next June, but my prospective employer needs me to be free of any reserve commitment.
I'm currently signed on for age 55, will have completed 20 yrs 8 months, be aged 44 and am on the new pension terms. I will be leaving with 16 months to my 22 point, but well after my IP (18 yrs) on the new pension terms.
Anyone know the answer? If I can't shed this commitment, I can't take the job so I may as well stay in for 22 - and the job will have gone.
Catch-22. PSF is, as usual, closed for the afternoon...
On a whinge and a prayer...

unclenelli
5th Jun 2007, 17:53
I've heard it's true, but never searched deep enough to find out the ins & outs, but..........
PVR - wait 12mths and then leave
Gay - now allowed under the don't ask, don't tell, so unless you try buggering your boss, it won't work
Drugs - wait for CDT to catch you, or smoke it openly, and you get an admin discharge and/or Colchester/criminal record for harder stuff
but here's the best kept secret yet......
Find A By-Election!!!
As a registered voter, you have the right to stand for parliament/local government, but it's deemed to be "incompatable with Service Life"
It'll cost you a couple of hundred for a deposit to stand, and as you probably won't be doing any campaigning, you probably won't get elected, but by that stage, the RAF will have washed their hands of you - Instant discharge, with no criminal record and you've not lost your mates because they they now think you're an ar$e-bandit.
But, if you get enough votes, you'll even get your deposit back!!
Like I said, ive never had the reason to try this out yet and don't know of anyone who has gone down this line, but for anyone serious about an instant-Out, give it a try and let us know how you got on.

effortless
5th Jun 2007, 18:13
Find A By-Election!!!
As a registered voter, you have the right to stand for parliament/local government, but it's deemed to be "incompatable with Service Life"

:D:D

It has been done, I wish that I could remember his name but the silly bugger only got elected.

Not Long Here
5th Jun 2007, 18:19
Alfa,

When I joined the RNZAF I had to be free of my UK Reserve commitment. I wrote to PMA, enclosing the offer of service from the RNZAF and they promptly wrote back freeing me of a Reserve commitment whilst employed by the RNZAF. Should I leave the RNZAF then my Reserve comitment will be re-implemented.

If its a civvy company you are going to try the same gambit. If you are going to another military, you now know the answer.

Cheers

JessTheDog
5th Jun 2007, 19:56
Surely "they" will not be happy at issuing a travel warrant in the unlikely event you are mobilised! There is something in the RAF leaving pack about reserve liability and taking up employment overseas. I will try and dig it out (goodness knows where it is, in some drawer somewhere!).

BEagle
5th Jun 2007, 20:04
Become employed by an overseas-based company.

Archimedes
5th Jun 2007, 21:23
It has been done, I wish that I could remember his name but the silly bugger only got elected.

Generally said to be Michael Hestletine, who was in the Guards for about five minutes as a result (I think, in fact, he lost his first attempt at being elected, but having been discharged, wasn't asked back).

A stark contrast with Fitzroy Maclean, for instance, who sought election to parliament so that he no longer held a reserved occupation (in the Foreign Office) and could join up.

Al Falauncher
6th Jun 2007, 07:03
Thanks everyone, good advice all round!
But, I hate politicians (one reason I'm emigrating), drugs are for those who can't cope with alcohol and I'll be buggered if I come out of the closet.
"Not Long Here," I believe I know you - sounds very like an email I received privately! Following that line of enquiry, I finally got hold of someone in PSF with some experience and he says a copy of my job offer (from RAAF) with my PVR and a cover letter to explain should relieve me of the reserve commitment under the heading of "transfer to another service" (QR607(10)). The PVR form itself does not allow this option, hence the other paperwork.
Back to the PSF staff, our current Discharge Clerk (at a secret heavy aircraft base in North Scotland) is an LAC :confused: - less than a year out of training, what the :mad: does she know about anything? Not her fault, but you need someone old and wise to deal with.
And the punchline; initial enquiries at PSF lead to me being told my NCA FRI would be need to be paid back by the time I leave - no problem, sell house, pay debts. Absolute Botox!!! As I discovered yesterday, A PVR WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNTIL IT IS REPAID IN FULL (JSP754v4 Ch7 07.0208). One door opens, another one closes...:ugh:
Thanks again everyone, maybe see you in Oz sometime:):)

Not Long Here
6th Jun 2007, 08:35
Al, and again for PMs

Saint Evil
6th Jun 2007, 22:11
I am going through this hoop. My PVR has been accepted and I have yet to repay my FRI. As far as the nice lady at PMA was concerned you had to make arrangements with your unit to repay the FRI, but as long as that was in progress your PVR could go through.

I made arrangement with Stn Accounts who then went to seek further advice. That was a coupe of months ago and they still haven't told me how they want the cash back. You can also try to pay it back in installments - some bases have arranged that and then don't forget to get a copy of the pay statment that paid you the FRI and then a receipt of you paying the FRI back and then write to the Inland revenue and claim back the tax you paid on the FRI.

Cheers

Saint E

Charlie Luncher
6th Jun 2007, 22:38
As NLH said
Just tell PMA you is going to the colonies and they will release you, in the auld days it was PMA RFMC1b(1)a that delt with it all, a phone call and letter sorted it all. Offer is at the Wg and I am adding a clause involving the terms pucker up and my Hairy Ass in the same sentence.:uhoh:
I would not mention buggered and closet in the same line as your old mate Butch Yuppie ex of Guernsey’s own may come looking for you:sad:.
Charlie sends

Blacksheep
7th Jun 2007, 06:28
...you need someone old and wise to deal with."You don't have to be old to be wise"... Judas Priest, I think.

I'd have thought the poor lass would have a supervisor - indeed, a Commissioned Officer (Admin Branch) might even be lurking in the darkened bowels of SHQ. :hmm:

Al Falauncher
9th Jun 2007, 07:40
Thanks all,
Chief Clerk says all I need is a copy of my Oz offer and a letter to explain ditching the reserves attached to my PVR, although when I go back after leave I'll ring the number Anita gave me as a back up.
Also said that I should get an official exit date before having to refund FRI, so immediate panic over.
Charlie, my offer received and accepted, just waiting for interview - any tips, advice on content & format, etc (if you can remember back that far!). Thanks for all the help, will buy you muchos Liffey Water when I see you there!
All puckered up,
Cousin Al