PDA

View Full Version : Importing Videos into Windows Movie Maker

gingernut
4th Jun 2007, 07:43
My (Nikon) digital camera has the ability to take short clips of video, which can then be uploaded to their software, as a .mov file.

I'm trying to import this into "Widows Movie Maker"

Unfortunately, this doesn't support .mov files. I'm able to change the .mov file to a .wmv file, using a program called "cinema Forge"

Windows movie make still refuses to import the converted file, as it says it's "not indexed"

Any suggestions chaps?

Bushfiva
4th Jun 2007, 08:17
Just passing through, so here's a quick something you can try. You've obviously found Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker, and there are other tools associated with it. You need Windows Media File Editor. If you can open the file in that, simple use the "Save As and Index..." option.

If that doesn't work, try Windows Media Encoder. Basically, load & save to a new name without changing any settings.

gingernut
5th Jun 2007, 09:57
Thanks Bushfiva, It worked.:)

Hew Jaz
4th Jul 2007, 18:14
Ok, so I've found Windows Movie Maker.

Where do I find Windows Media File Editor and Windows Media Encoder?

I want to import a video which is a .mov file, but I don't want to install Quicktime, which is what the pc suggested.

Thanks

HJ

gingernut
4th Jul 2007, 19:02
It's on the microsoft site, type in "Windows Media File Editor," I think the encoder is contained within.
(or vice versa)

It seems to work well, but it's all a bit fidly. The movie maker is quite easy to use once you get the hang of it, but it does tend to hang quite frequently, but thankfully, the work sems to save automatically.

Hew Jaz
4th Jul 2007, 21:23
Hi Gingernut

Found & downloaded the file from the MS site, but Movie Maker still doesn't want to import or play the file. Any other pointers / suggestions as to what I'm doing / not doing?

Still unsure as to what I should do next.

Thanks

HJ

gingernut
5th Jul 2007, 09:13
Hi Hew, you first need to convert the .MOV file to something the Windows Media Editor recognises. (I convert it to a .WMV file), and then perform the stages as above. (it takes a couple of steps before windows movie maker recognises it)

To convert .mov to .wmv, try using a program called "cinema forge"- it's available as a free download.

Hew Jaz
5th Jul 2007, 11:38
Hi Gingernut

Thanks for the help - I'm sorted now - I think!

Cheers

HJ