PDA

View Full Version : Instructing positions?

BigBusDriver
3rd Jun 2007, 15:06
Hello all-

I have a question that I hope someone can shed some light on. I am from the UK, but have lived in the US since I was a kid. At some point (within the next 5 years or so) the wife and I would like to relocate to the UK, but since the lottery has yet to come through for us, I would need a job.

I have an FAA ATP, 5,500 hours, 3,500 turboprop, (about 3,000 in Jetstream 31/32s, 300 DHC-8, 200 King Air 90/200), and 200 jet (A300B4). About 1,700 of my turboprop hours are as PIC, all in Jetstreams/King Airs.

I'm very interested in an instructor position in the UK, either ground or sim, but preferably sim. I spoke with an FSI-Farnborough recruiter a couple of years ago, but she said I would have to hold a JAA ATPL and 1st Class Medical to instruct there. I would rather not go through the conversion process if possible. I've looked at JAR-FCL 1.410 and wonder if anyone knows if an FAA ATP is considered "a non-JAA license acceptable to the authority"?

Perhaps more relevant, what would the job outlook be for someone coming to the UK looking for an sim/ground instructing job?

Thanks in advance for any information, insight, or advice.

tom775257
3rd Jun 2007, 20:42
All I can add is that I was instructed on my Airbus type rating by an ex-captain who had failed his medical. I don't know about the JAA ATPL.

Good luck dude.

Murray_NN
6th Jun 2007, 12:01
Try Oxford Aviation Training, they need MCC instructors on B737-400 all the time.

www.oxfordaviation.net

Anonymus6
6th Jun 2007, 16:19
flight safety international has a facility outside London and they are hiring. they take ICAO license, so FAA fall in to that category.

HN1708
6th Jun 2007, 16:33
I would reckon it will be in your best interests long term for job prospects, to convert to JAA if you are planning on living in the UK for any length of time.

I think there is a simpler conversion from FAA to JAA if you have enough multi-pilot time on aircraft of a certain weight, which i believe avoids you having to sit the 14 JAA ATPL exams (which are not nice!). Check LASORS and it should advise you on the criteria, but i know that not everyone has to do a full conversion if they have the right type and amount of time.