PDA

View Full Version : Laptops, OS disks and recovery partitions.

None of the above
2nd Jun 2007, 10:23
I've been considering the purchase of a laptop for the last few weeks but I'm worried about the apparently universal habit of manufacturers not including a system disk.

So, if you'll indulge me, a few questions....

(1) Do any manufacturers provide an OS disk with their laptops?

(2) Is it possible to burn a CD/DVD from the recovery partition and produce your own disk?

(3) What on Earth is the point of putting the recovery files on the HDD when they are lost in the event of a HDD failure? A cost cutting measure?

I've done the requisite amount of Googling but, as ever, opinion seems divided.

Thanks,

N o t a

mocoman
2nd Jun 2007, 11:45
(1) Dell do; your mileage may vary with other manufacturers

(2) My Packard-Bell has that exact option available from a boot-up menu; although creating a backup CD then removes the ability to access the partition in the event of a problem.

(3)Good Question.....:ugh:

unclenelli
2nd Jun 2007, 12:59
Toshiba do - I bought one this side of Xmas which came with Win MCE2005 on CD.

I think most manufacturers are just saving the money required to supply the CDs (CD, labels, case = lots of money - NOT!!!)

Most PCs these days are produced on a rail - One the gubbins is in the case, plug it in and squirt an OS/software onto the HDD. Unplug, plug in the next one & squirt again - rapid production line, with no costs

I think its the cheaper end of the market who won't supply CDs or charge you for it if you ask for them - PC World, Median, etc

Golden Ticket
2nd Jun 2007, 15:36
Medion did supply a full xp system disc. I used the same disc with my Toshiba laptop to ge rid of the rubbish most manufacturers install. The Tosh did come with a cd that would reset it back to factory settings, no partition on hdd and the return of the rubbish.

None of the above
2nd Jun 2007, 18:42
Aha! Thanks one and all, I'm much obliged.

It seems to fly in the face of logic not to provide a system disk with a laptop or desk PC. You might as well have your car engine confiscated the first time it breaks down! Perhaps not the best of parallels, but you get my drift.
You will each have read between the lines and divined that I have done more OS reloads than I care to remember.
Well, you learn by experience, don't you?

Thanks, Gentlemen,

N o t a

Saab Dastard
2nd Jun 2007, 18:47
I believe that it is a condition of the very cheap licensing deals from M$ that the vendors cannot supply an installation CD, as it would then be too easy to install it on multiple PCs.

And those that do supply an installation CD usually have it tied to their systems, which is fair enough. For example, I had a Dell Win2K CD that would install fine on any Dell PC, but not on any other brand.

I don't know why this is not more common - maybe it is too easy to "crack" however this "lock" is implemented.

SD

BRL
2nd Jun 2007, 19:17
I had a HD failure last year so called the support line for a new disk. I ask them why they don't supply but he wouldn't tell me!!

Said the disk would take up to six weeks to deliver! I nearly fell off my chair!

Fortunately it arrived about two days later but the thought of six weeks with a dickie HD/no computer whilst waiting for a backup disk is just not acceptable when the disks should be (as some used to) shipped with the pc.

dwhcomputers
3rd Jun 2007, 04:36
As a small dealer in new and used laptops I have yet to find a new laptop that does not have the ability to make recovery disks if the machine has a recovery partition. No recovery partition then the laptop should come with either a dedicated recovery disk or a Windows system disk plus a driver disk at the very least.This is the norm in the UK for major brand machines. If it is a clone machine and no disks or the ability to make the disks think carefully and start adding the cost of buying a new disks to the price of the machine.