PDA

View Full Version : UK Airshows - with a differance

Jester's Dead
1st Jun 2007, 09:44
Has anyone been or seen any UK airshows that are actually fun and interesting for all not just for enthusiasts.
Thinking there is a market for more than just airshows but actual events, I heard of one in Hampshire but I can’t remember what it was called.
Any ideas, anyone been to something like that

jumboy
1st Jun 2007, 09:51
Get yourself to Biggin tomorrow and you'll see an Oasis Hong Kong 747-400 give a display

horn blower
1st Jun 2007, 11:44
The only show in Hampshire I have attended recently is 'Music in the Air' at Middle Wallop, which has been going for some time. It used to attract an enormous audience and the flying was great, synchronised with music played by an orchestra on stage.

I haven't found out anything about it this year and wonder if anyone knows the date or any other details? I believe something similar was staged in Northampton last year, including a madman who flew a microlight with a gaggle of geese.

Anyone know anything about this?

Kaptain Kremen
1st Jun 2007, 11:52
sywell are hosting the event again in July i think, can't remember too many details but probably worth checking their web site.
KK

Jester's Dead
1st Jun 2007, 12:07
Has anyone been to any of these events.....are they any good?

Double Zero
1st Jun 2007, 12:23
'Wings & Wheels' at Dunsfold, Surrey might suit you.

Though still largely an airshow - this is where Harriers, Hawks ( inc the Red Arrows who attend ) Hunters etc were all built before BAe closed it in 2000.

It's run in conjunction with Brooklands Museum, who bring a lot of their exhibits both aviation & motoring.

As well as the air display ( which is very good, Spitfires & Hurricanes, B of B flight, Harrier, Red Arrows, aerobatics etc ), there are plenty of static historic & modern aircraft one can actually walk around.

More to the point for you perhaps, interesting vehicles, old & new racing cars aplenty - including a high speed procession down the runway - and things like cars from Bond films, the Napier Railton vintage monster high speed car, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ( or a good replica ) was there to stroll around last year, & plenty of military vehicles etc.

Also the usual small fun fair stuff for toddlers.

I think it's August Bank Holiday this year but if you dial up Dunsfold Park on google etc it'll come up. ( if of interest, it's where 'Top Gear' is filmed too ).

I'm not working for them - just did when it was a great place to work building & testing aeroplanes before BAe rot got to it...at least it's not covered in houses - yet...

Tickets are not cheap - £20.00 per adult, though £10.00 for WW2 veterans if like last year ( and if the ticket people have actually been told this year ! ).

treadigraph
1st Jun 2007, 13:21
Bring back the Tiger Club displays, Redhill circa 1985... wonderful fun! A three hour flying display (just the right length), other things to do, all within the confines of the airfield (rather than the whole county), humour, and as near as dammit audience participation.

Probably be mega-boring to modern disaffected yoof though...

nwest
1st Jun 2007, 15:50
The only show in Hampshire I have attended recently is 'Music in the Air' at Middle Wallop, which has been going for some time. It used to attract an enormous audience and the flying was great, synchronised with music played by an orchestra on stage.

I haven't found out anything about it this year and wonder if anyone knows the date or any other details? I believe something similar was staged in Northampton last year, including a madman who flew a microlight with a gaggle of geese.

Anyone know anything about this?
Music in the Air has indeed been held at Middle Wallop for many years, and very successfully too. It certainly is a very "different" airshow, with a nice variety of display aircraft synchronised with the orchestra's music.

The one at Northampton you mention was staged at Sywell Aerodrome and was also last year known as Music in the Air.

Unfortunately, Music in the Air is not being staged at Middle Wallop this year - but Sywell is hosting another event, only this year it has been renamed "Music in Flight". It's on 21st July.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jun 2007, 17:53
There used to be some really excellent air shows in Hampshire at a place called - I think - Farnborough??? I don't think they've taken place for 20 years or more..

treadigraph
1st Jun 2007, 22:35
Heathrow Director, many a true word spoken in jest... :} Wot you mean you weren't laughing ?:E

WHBM
1st Jun 2007, 22:44
London City Airport Fun Day, a Saturday in summer - see various posts from past events for more comments about the flying programme and other events.

LysanderV8
2nd Jun 2007, 03:42
For me, the best day out was to Rob Davies' farm at Woodchurch for the Wings 'n Things charity event in August. Sadly, he has had to cancel this year because of insurance costs and health and safety bureaucracy. It was a real fun day for all the family AND it was for charity.

Little Gransden's Children in Need show is very well worth a visit.

Chris_G
2nd Jun 2007, 15:20
Have to agree the Little Gransden show is a great family day out, with something for everyone.

darrenstaxis
3rd Jun 2007, 11:33
A great Airshow with a difference is Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire. Fair enought the planes dont actually fly (They are not allowed) but you will see some very rare aircraft that do full ground displays and Hi Speed taxi runs. Aircraft usually in the display are Lightnings, Comet, Victor, Buccaneers, Hunters, Canberra, plus others. On display also but do not do runs are Boeing 747 and Guppy. Be warned, take your ear defenders as you are very close to the aircraft on the runway and when them Lightnings get going....:)