PDA

View Full Version : A320 Ram Air Inlet ...opening

SRover40
30th May 2007, 19:37
If you encounter AIR PACK 1 + 2 FAULT in crz,
you will get ...this ECAM

====================================================
-PACK (affected)OFF
The fault light goes off, when the failure disappears.

DESCENT TO FL 100/MEA.
Descend to FL 100, or MEA, whichever is higher.

WHEN DIFF PR < 1 PSI AND FL BELOW 100 :

-RAM AIRON
MAX FL100/MEA================================================

1>What if the local MEA is higher than FL100 ???
2>and then how can I open the RAM Air Inlet...???
3>Can I continue the FLT without PACKs ???

This has been bugging me more than an hour.....:*

Mäx Reverse
30th May 2007, 19:53
1) I'd suggest you respect the MEA/MORA. It's not without a reason higher than 10.000 feet...
On the other hand there are only very few places with extended areas of HIGH MEAs. Normaly you turn to flat terrain once you realise your pressurisation problem and you are there in max 10 Minutes. During this time the pax are on oxygen, so no problem.
Where this is not the case, the aircraft has to be fitted with modified oxygen systems and special 'escape routes' are calculated (hindukush region for example).

2) By selecting RAM Air On. If the delta p is below 1 psi the check-valve will open. RAM Air only helps to ventilate the cabin, it's not good for any kind of pressurisation.

3) If you keep the aircraft altitude and thus the cabin below 14.000 feet you could continue. Where to? Destination? Hardly.... Your Passengers would be pretty frozen up pretty good and your fuel will hardly be sufficient...

Regards, MAX

Dan Winterland
31st May 2007, 02:06
With Pack 1 + 2 fault, you won't be pressurised anyway. As mentioned, ram air just gives some ventilation.

SRover40
31st May 2007, 05:15
Always safe FLT .... Gracias...