PDA

View Full Version : selected for SIA cadet but no employment pass

cx007
30th May 2007, 14:37
I am HK citenzen. Selected by SIA for cadet pilot training. Unfortunately, the singapore govt decided not to issue me an employment pass therefore i could not go for training. I have no criminal records, have BSc (hons), have working experience both in hk and overseas.
I am wondering if anyone here has gone through similar situations and how did you finally solve it.
The offer means a lot to me and i am sure you understand how bad it feels to give up the chance. Please share with me your thoughts

Al Fakhem
1st Jun 2007, 03:17
You did not mention whether you are Chinese or from another ethnic background.

There used to be an unwritten policy in Singapore (not sure whether it is still in force) to jack up the number of ethnic Chinese and keep ethnic Malays and Indians out.

DsboA
1st Jun 2007, 07:13
"There used to be an unwritten policy in Singapore (not sure whether it is still in force) to jack up the number of ethnic Chinese and keep ethnic Malays and Indians out."
:mad: I cant believe that someone would even suggest such a statement!
I'm currently a Cadet Pilot with them in Perth and from the 10+ courses i have seen in both Seletar and Perth, we have cadets from various races, religion and nationalities.
To suggest such a "unwritten rule" runs contrary to the fact that SQ takes in Malaysian & Indian nationals for its cadet program... dont rem these guys were ethinc chinese anyway...:E
To CX007, sorry to hear about your problems but being s'porean myself, i'm afraid i cant really offer much advice on such a issue, other than dispelling false rumours about my company. Did the HR ppl offer you any explainations?
Did the Ministry of Manpower get back to you about the failed application?

rdr
29th Jun 2007, 09:46
I'm really glad that you have started up in SQ and wish you a long and happy career. But, this is planet earth and, if you fail to see what is going on around you in sunny sing, its simply because it has not touched you. And not that it does not exist.

Al Fakhem
29th Jun 2007, 12:09
DsboA:

You need not take my word for it, but dig a little and you will discover that in the 90s they fast-tracked any ethnic Chinese from HK to Singapore PR (but not ethnic Indians who also held HK PR and thus, theoretically, held identical citizenship).

Fact, not fiction, my friend. :D

SmileAirlines
29th Jun 2007, 12:49
Al Fakhem,

Whether in the 90's Singapore had such policy or not, that's not the point...

Your comment is racist and shouldn't be written in the first place...

Besides, can you give us evidence about the "unwritten policy" that you mentioned in your post? If you can't, then it's not a fact.. it's only a hearsay...

I can vouch what DsboA said since I'm one of the cadets with SIA as well.. and as far as I can see, there are quite a bit of non-Chinese cadets who are employed by SIA.

Al Fakhem
30th Jun 2007, 03:28
SmileArilines:

I stick by my comment - it is a fact, as I myself transferred a business from HK to Singapore in the 90s.

But as I say, you need not take my word for it.

Singapore is, of course, the most fantastic place in the world, with a truly compassionate government. It is also a very fortunate country; despite being so small, it can always count on one single family for political and commercial leadership - never mind if the family head is full of BS. Remember LKY's remarks about Australia being doomed because of all the "white trash" going there? Now, SmileAirlines, that is racism - straight from the mayor of Singapore. :ok:

rdr
1st Jul 2007, 02:51
dsboA
I cant believe that someone would even suggest such a statement!

smileairline
Your comment is racist and shouldn't be written in the first place...

The enthusiasm in your upcoming careers is excellent and I wish you all the luck.
One detail that may have escaped many of you new guys is that the father of SQ was a chap called JYM Pillay. SQ is what it is today through his leadership.
Unfortunately, the old man his book, and his free press have been parroting Lim C B as the SQ icon for the past 10 years. Not a nice thing for either gentlemen.

DsboA
1st Jul 2007, 09:10
Hi all,
alright, first of all, i dont think SQ or S'pore is the perfect company or country on Earth. Should anyone know of such a place, pls PM me and i would quit and fly there myself first thing next morning!!!:ok:

Poverty, inequality and "do i even dare mention such a foul word" racism happens in everything country, and i suppose its just a matter of how obvious or rampant the situation is...

I suppose every country has their own immigration regulations made by their policy holders. Unfortunately, i am neither smart enough nor interested to join their ranks or understand their intentions....... Dont think they are the best chaps around but at least they got the country running...

I'm in my twenties now, so stuff like govt policies that happened in the 90's would have most likely been ignored by a carefree teenager like me:}
So i suppose that you guys are right, i would not have known things that did not happen to me or ppl around me.

Nobody can ever be right or wrong in this case, except that we are all trying to share our experiences and help anyone trying to join the aviation family.

Just hope that the govt has changed their policies since then, because we are seeing a good mix of races in the system now and no one should be denied a chance!

Skies r blue and tats the only colour that matters!!!

(Just curious, rdr and Al, which companies are you flying for?)