PDA

View Full Version : Ab Initio to CPL

unstable load
30th May 2007, 10:56
I realise that this has no doubt been covered ad nauseum, but I will risk flaming and abuse and ask again.

In today's money assuming that I find my own accomodation and feed myself, how much will it cost from ZERO hours to qualify to CPL standard with a single turbine, IFR ticket? I would welcome replies from both sides of the pond as I have been approached by a youngster who is dead keen to learn how to fly helicopters.
I have explained to him that his chances of getting meaningful employment with that qualification are slim, but he needs to start somewhere, so.....

Answers are respectfully solicited.

Thanks,

UL

Flingingwings
30th May 2007, 11:09
In the UK about 75K :eek:

unstable load
30th May 2007, 11:19
Flingingwings,

Thanks a lot! All I can say to that is OUCH!:eek:

Helinut
30th May 2007, 11:58
UL,
You may not be asking the right question. In UK and European terms, there is little point in getting yourself to where you suggest this person wants to get to.
In order to get work you need a combination of the right licences and ratings and the right flying experience. What you propose is not a good balance in the UK, and probably most of Europe.
It could be a better choice in the USA, but I am not the right person to give a view on that.
It also does matter where the person would like or is able to work. It can cost a lot of money to transfer from say the USA to UK licences.
You may get a more accurate and ultimately useful answer if you are more specific

Helinut

Rushes
30th May 2007, 14:14
UL,

For a comparative price in the US you could contact Sam at heli.com as they run both FAA and CAA license courses.

Otherwise as far as im aware in the UK contact helicopter services at Wycome for costs as they go all the way thru to IR.

I do agree with the above posts that you can have as many ratings as you like, but without the appropriate experience you may well struggle..... a balance is good.

Good luck

R

jeepys
30th May 2007, 14:17
I would have to disagree Helinutt. There have been plenty of recent examples of people getting north sea jobs with 200 hours and IR. It's not the experience they want for co-pilot it's the IR.
Of course getting a break like this will also depend on your age other possible variables but the fact remains that in having an IR you put yourself in a far far better off position than not having one and in my experience I do not know of anybody who has an IR out of work for long.

helimutt
30th May 2007, 14:22
disagree with the age thing slightly. Know of a 42yr old who recently started North Sea and had his IR paid for by the company. Also a couple of younger 200hr guys with IR's just started. £75k seems a conservative estimate to me.

Always add more for the 'fudge' factor.

fluffy5
30th May 2007, 15:44
I've spent over the years almost up to 100k, cpl, F.I, and I.R. and still cannot seem to get a good full time salary. I will never be able to re-coup that amount of expense. I'm one of the unlucky ones. stanadard instruction and charter all self employed with know regular income, I should have stayed being a traffic warden :}
Would'nt change it for the world, you can't take it with you :ok:

helimutt
30th May 2007, 18:04
fluffy5, I beat you by about 10k but 'lucky' enough to now fly offshore. If you have IR, no interest in North Sea? I know of one company recruiting.