PDA

View Full Version : Accessing files and folders

Hugh Spencer
29th May 2007, 18:12
Not having experience of computers for very long, I am having difficulty in getting access to files, etc., in the laptop. I right click to open, click Open then I am referred to searching on a website to establish where to gain access. I tried one this afternoon but to no avail. IAF, WAB, JPEG and XPI are amongst others but I need a step by step approach as other ways have not proved successful.

Mac the Knife
29th May 2007, 19:00
Sounds like you've somehow gotten Google Desktop Search installed.

Some people love it (I don't)

If it annoys you, uninstall it.

Two_dogs
30th May 2007, 14:10
C'mon Mac, You can do better than that.
It just might be that the file associations are not set.

Right clicking and selecting open file for a file type not previously accessed will open a dialogue box with;

Windows can not open this file

To open this file windows needs to know which program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can manually select from lists of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?
1) Use the web service to find the appropriate program
2) Select the program from a list

Select option 2 and the most appropriate program should appear at the top of the available program list. For example *.xls files will need Microbloat Excel to open them.

Unless I've missed the point of the first post Hugh, this may be the answer you're looking for. If I have missed the point, blame the Margaret River Cabernet!!

Two Dogs