PDA

View Full Version : Router software install problem

dontpickit
29th May 2007, 09:47
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone else has had this problem and solved it.

Decided to change my BT broadband router connection to pc from USB to ethernet cable/network card. Uninstalled all router software then began a fresh install.

When I run the install software cd it commences at a 'welcome back' page just after 'plug in the usb cable'.

I've searched for files containing 'bt', 'install' etc that I assume are telling the pc that the s/ware is halfway installed - no luck so far.

TIA

mdc
29th May 2007, 10:32
I don't have a BT ADSL Router/Modem, but have used many different vendors in the past. If you are now using Ethernet from a NIC in the PC to the Router, you won't need any router software on the PC.

The Router software you uninstalled would have been device drivers for the USB connected modem, and since you are now using your NIC there's no need for these. Just make sure you have a operational NIC and you should be good to go.

dontpickit
29th May 2007, 10:54
Thanks mdc, you are absolutely right, I'll manually check/input the IP addresses etc.

mdc
29th May 2007, 11:05
No problem. I would imagine the router should be able to act as a DHCP server, everyone I've come across so far does.

So simply check your NIC on the PC is configured to automatically receive an IP address and you should be good to go.

Richard Spandit
29th May 2007, 11:31
If you are still getting BT things starting on boot, you may have some registry entries to delete. I came across the exact same thing on my girlfriend's mother's computer the other day. Let us know - it's not a difficult thing to delete

dontpickit
29th May 2007, 14:48
Thanks Richard

I did run 'Registry Mechanic' which usually does a thorough job of cleaning up the registry.

I'll advise tomorrow how things go!

...installed a new router with ethernet cable, no going back to USB now!
Improved upload and download speeds.

Thanks for the advice mdc and Rich.