PDA

View Full Version : NSW Rescue Helicopters (CHC)

tactical71
29th May 2007, 09:35
Deos anyone have any photos of the new livery of the CHC machines that have the new N.S.W. ems/rescue contracts? Or a website with photos?

Also can anyone enlighten me on what the problem was on their first day of ops a few weeks ago? I heard something on the news about a machine with smoke filling the cabin, all avionics u/s and oil running down the windows!!!

Anyone know what happened?
Cheers
Angus

eagle 86
29th May 2007, 10:55
So it wasn't a rumour - is the rumour about medical crews jumping ship already just that?
GAGS
E86

wheatbix
29th May 2007, 12:05
There's an article about it on the SMH website here (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/two-safety-incidents-in-fortnight-for-new-copters/2007/05/29/1180205235079.html)

I don't have any photos, but anyone who works at Bankstown see's them around quite a bit - they always seem to be flying. I think they're operating 3x 412's at the moment, with a AW139 scheduled to arrive sometime early next year.

As for the smoke filling the cabin, its detailed in the article listed above. In short, they were out at night (AFAIK) and a "catastrophic electrical failure" occured leading to "Communications went out, there was smoke from the side, oil coming down the window and the helicopter had to turn around immediately,"".

tactical71
30th May 2007, 08:46
Turning around!!! I would have thought they would have been putting down on the nearest oval or paddock if smoke and oil were issuing from the aircraft and they had no electrics or communications !!

I would have thought that would be a contender for an emergency landing somewhere! Unless of course they had just lifed off and hadnt actually departed the base yet.

What does everyone else think?

NotHomeMuch
30th May 2007, 09:10
Electrical failure, smoke etc, yes. Oil coming down the windows?

Always knew that electricity worked on smoke - when the smoke escapes it stops working! - but had no idea it also worked on oil. :E

the coyote
30th May 2007, 10:12
tactical71,
Perhaps it was at night?

Well done to the pilot and crewman, a safe outcome considering what sounds like quite a serious emergency.

helo1
30th May 2007, 10:57
Tactial 71 type in www.myaviation.net go to advanced search and in rego type in vh-eph and it will come up with 2 photographs of the helicopter colours

tactical71
30th May 2007, 11:29
Coyote, do mean that emergency landings are not possible at night? Or just that it would be safer to turn around and try and make it back to the airport which is where they are based.

I know I wouldnt want to risk trying to fly back to the airport unless it was well within my auto glide slope just in case. Would rather put down in a park, oval, or anywhere clear that could see.

I appreciate that it was night time, but day or night, if you crash you crash!

topendtorque
30th May 2007, 12:19
These (incidents) are not unexpected ... it's part of the business ...

from the Sydney Morning Herald article, ? ?

other threads have recently spent endless drooll stupifying any suggestion that the above remark is at all accepted by any standard when referring to any modern twin rotorcraft. Or did I miss something??

as far as turning back, bloody hell, only if its in the landing pattern and suburbia is prevalent below.

the coyote
30th May 2007, 19:02
tactical71,

I don't mean either, and am not commenting on that at all, I was just raising the question as it does impact upon decision making.

Without fully knowing the facts, the malfunctions and the indications that presented, how can anyone comment on whether the pilot made the right decisions or not?

I still work off the basic premise that in the absence of evidence, judgement in this country is based upon being innocent until proven guilty.

The only fact that I know is that they made a safe landing, and by virtue of that fact alone, the decisions the pilot made that led to that outcome should be commended rather than criticised.

tactical71
31st May 2007, 11:43
Wooooo there Coyote. I wasnt criticising or having a go at the pilot at all. As you said they landed safely. Well done to them. I was just pointing out what I would have done in the circumstances presented in the article. And it may well be, that the details are competley out of proportion to what actually happened.

BUT, being that this is an industry message forum and not a court room, we can speculate. And specualte we do. As long as we do it in here and we politely and dont go too far with our comments.

As I said, I was merely stating what I would have done in the given circumstances according to the news article, which is all the info we, and the public at large, seem to be able to get at the moment.

Cheers
: )

international hog driver
31st May 2007, 12:02
Coyote's apprehension about an off location landing is that where we used to work you would not want to put the leaver down anywhere except the airport or offshore.

Our brand new (and brand old) Sikorskys regularly came home with additional ventilation ports :E

Only an engineer could call them that!:ugh:

Anyway mate, how are the nipple nippers going?;)

the coyote
31st May 2007, 20:27
Tactical, this is the same as crew room conversation for me, its easy to misread the emotion, if any, that is attached to the written word, and I'm just having a friendly yap here. :ok:

IHG, going well thanks! Ahhhh, the thought of a good nights sleep though......:E

tactical71
31st May 2007, 23:30
No worries Coyote. ;)

nozza
2nd Jun 2007, 04:37
The amount of misinformation being generated by a few petty individuals who work for one of the unsucessful bidders to the NSW helicopter contract, who leak this imformation to the politcal opposition party, which turn ends up in the media is quickly becoming farcical.
This particular bit of information started when the medical officer on board the aircraft emailed people within the organisation that employs him.

What was not reported by the media, and having spoken to the medical officer directly myself, was how impress he was with the calmness and professionalism of the pilot during this incident.

i have not seen the final report by CHC into this incident, however as far as I understand, there was a problem with one of the generators which caused a comms failure tothe back of the aircraft and problem with cabin lighting.

There was certainly no mention of oil or smoke made by an other member of the crew.

Not being a pilot myself, I don't claim to understand all the implication of such a failure of one of the genertors; however but as someone who has worked in EMS for many years now, the way in which CHC has conducted itself in investigating this issue, only reassures me more to fly with them.

To the individuals, who spread rumours into the media, which only acts to frighten the community who will all strive to serve, it is probably time to grow up a bit.

tactical71
2nd Jun 2007, 05:28
:eek: Nozza.....CHILL OUT DUDE!!!! No one is having a go at the pilot, aircrewman, SCATie, or the Doc. We all know that media will make something out of nothing. Thats always been the case and always will be the case. Having worked, and still working, in EMS/Emergency services for over 17years, I have learnt to take the word of media with a grain of salt.
As the initial author of this thread, I was merely asking if anyone knew what might have happneded as I had only heard bits over the news on tele.
And remember Nozza, this is a "Rumour Network" (PPRuNe)
If things arent mature enough for you in here, then no ones making you stay in here. We are all just here for a bit of fun and networking!
I hope you stay on board though. :ok:
Cheers
Angus

Quickdraw
4th Jun 2007, 07:21
Just another Trick, I'm not sure what your saying here?

1. You suspect a cover up?
2. You want to know what happened?
3. You're not quite sure what you expect to know at this point in time?

I'm all for the rumour network ;) I'm just missing your point I guess, sorry.

Quickdraw. :ok:

eagle 86
4th Jun 2007, 22:22
How's it going Michael?
GAGS
E86

Hand Fisted
14th Jul 2007, 07:48
Would you call that post a leak ?? or more like an ooze, seep or trickle.
In any case it sounds like you have got one.

topendtorque
17th Jul 2007, 21:41
"You saw the story on a rumour network?"
'Errr, yes yer 'onor'

"go on? get out of here"

If you've got a story to tell and you don't want to put your name to it, why don't you fill out a C.A.I.R form?

Quickdraw
18th Jul 2007, 13:26
:confused:

Just Another Trick... Are you for real? Look, Careflight tried to slander CHC's name all over the place during or prior to the start up, now you are doing the same. If only you knew how CHC actually operates, then you would be better educated instead of the crap you dribble. Bring on phase two of the review :-)

I may have to dust off the resume again...:ok:

eagle 86
19th Jul 2007, 01:10
I hear there is some considerable discontent amongst the paramedics.
GAGS
E86

Blades clear
20th Jul 2007, 01:16
Hmmmm, sounds like more certain Careflight staff bitching again in the background.

eagle 86
10th Aug 2007, 03:13
Hmmmm - more bad press today - don't get me wrong - this has more to do with the p!ss poor organisational ability of the dinosaurs in the NSW Ambulance Service than the operator - but you could still wonder why the new contract, at huge cost, does not perform to the level that existed under the old contract.
GAGS
E86

weedwacker
10th Aug 2007, 04:17
E86 what was the bad press?:hmm:

SuperSleuth
10th Aug 2007, 05:49
Try these:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22219395-5006009,00.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/NSW-Ambulance-under-fire-over-choppers/2007/08/10/1186530563761.html

There are some who have always maintained that the contract was only for aircraft, crew & maintenance not for medical. :ugh:

No pennies left over for medical staffing. Bravo boys, bravo!:D

Cheers,

SuperSleuth

SuperSleuth
10th Aug 2007, 06:01
Try these:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22219395-5006009,00.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/NSW-Ambulance-under-fire-over-choppers/2007/08/10/1186530563761.html

It has been said all along that the contrasts were only for aircraft, crew & maintenance and not for the medical components.:ugh:

No pennies left over for medical staffing. Bravo boys, bravo!:D

Cheers,

SuperSleuth

CDME
10th Aug 2007, 07:15
So tell me, why is it CHCs fault that NSW Ambulance arent supplying the staff. :confused::confused:

In all the dealings I have ever had with CHC they have come across as a professional, well run, competent group of individuals. Seems like they are being used as a scapegoat in the political arena.

Just my two cents worth.

SuperSleuth
10th Aug 2007, 08:26
Not their fault at all, just merely refering to the absurdity of ASNSW going to all the trouble of initiating a $270 million contract and not allocating sufficient funding for a full medical component.

CDME
10th Aug 2007, 08:56
And that surprises you - after all it is NSW Ambulance. :\

irh
10th Aug 2007, 10:35
So you feel chc is being blamed for the aviation experts within nsw ambulance. The last two operators had the same fate, the difference is that chc got on the band wagon and stuck the knife in as well.
There would be many people out there that would be sitting back enjoying the fight. The doctors and paramedics wanted a new operator because they thought they would be better - everybody is now learning that the grass is far from greener on the other side. chc is learning that there is a lot more to the nsw health contract than they thought.
Its a tangled web that few are able to fully understand.
Those that don't understand tend to post emotive replies!

eagle 86
10th Aug 2007, 12:25
I think you will find that NSW Health/Ambulance are relying on the Charities to provide sponsored doctor staff. Info in the public domain shows that this is certainly the case with regard to CareFlight. Unfortunately for NSW Health/Ambulance some very unpalatable (to them!) caveates apply to these arrangements.
Fortunately for CHC, the Dinosaurs have signed a contract that has more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese! They are learning quickly what it is like to deal with a commercial organisation whose bottom line is the dollar.
GAGS
E86

weedwacker
11th Aug 2007, 01:23
IHR how did chc stick the knife in ? What they bided for the contract!:hmm:

E86 your trying to make an agrgument out of the blindingly obviouse, by that i mean its a big contract, which is big business, of course the bottom line is the dollar, if it wasnt any one would be out of business, but with that claim of the "bottom line is the dollar" comes one of the best heli comp in the world providing a pretty dam profetional service. You keep trying to make chc, out to be 1st timers at this EMS game. I think that you need to build a bridge and get over it!:ok: