PDA

View Full Version : Quick info on London Heli-lanes

perfrej
29th May 2007, 08:48
Fellow rotorheads!

I am currently in Stoke Poges, 5 nm S Denham airport. Tomorrow I will ferry a B206 back home to Sweden (not the best weather forecast, I know). I am trying to find some info on the "heli-lanes", preferably on the net or available at Denham. It's not a life-and-death matter, just curiosity.

So, anyone know of maps or something where they are marked?

All the best,

Per

Twiddle
29th May 2007, 09:02
See the AIC, they are documented either under London City or Heathrow.

Map and details of the crossing procedures for Heathrow.

206 jock
29th May 2007, 09:05
You want the London heli-lanes chart: you're a bit short of time to get it mail order, but any pilot's shop will have one - around London at least. I'm not sure there is one at Denham, but there's the Pooley's shop at Elstree.

If your feeling brave and reckless and have a Skymap IIIc in your 206, you can find them marked on there. You might need to open them up in the menu (I can't remember), but your database needs to be right up to date for all operating altitudes etc.

You're best calling Heathrow NATS to let them know your callsign, routing etc before lifting, if you intend to use the routes.

Please - Stick to the standard operating altitudes and obey the ATCO's! the helilanes are a privilege and there's lots of people who don't like helo flying over their precious city!

rattle
29th May 2007, 09:11
Denham have maps at Heliair, and Jet A1 at Premiere. Have a good trip!

Bravo73
29th May 2007, 09:14
I am currently in Stoke Poges, 5 nm S Denham airport.

Just had a quick look at the helilanes chart, and '5nm S Denham airport' puts you just north of Heathrow! According to the chart, Stoke Poges is actually 3nm SW of Denham. (Quite an important distinction).

The good news is that you are probably just underneath 'H10'. The bad news is that due to your proximity to Heathrow, please don't be tempted to try traversing the lanes without somebody who knows where they are going on board. (When on the lanes, you are required to maintain a route accuracy of somewhere in the region of +/- 200m.)

My best advice is to contact HeliAir at Denham (01895 835899) and find out if they have got an instructor available to help you through the lanes. If you want to go the 'scenic route', I suggest H10 then H4 eastbound along the Thames. Drop the instructor at Damyns Hall, pay for his cab back to Denham then you fly onwards to Sweden.

HTH,

B73

Edited to add: The 3 last posts all arrived at about the same time. I'll reiterate what I've just said. Please don't be tempted to try the lanes by yourself for the first time (especially not by following the route on a GPS!) :=. It might cost you a little bit more but please take someone with you who knows where they are going and what to say to the right person at the right time. :ok:

Edited again: If HeliAir can't help, Helicopter Services at Wycombe Air Park (01494 513166) should be able to find you someone to assist you.

AlanM
29th May 2007, 10:06
perfrej - I have PM's you with a contact number for us at work.
Give us a call first (either today or tomorrow before you lift)

In terms of the best routeing - do you really want to be messing around on the helilanes, possibly holding 2 or 3 times when en route such a large distance?!?! For an easy life why not just route along the edge of the zone.

Either way, I would suggest taking someone with you if you are unfamiliar with the routes esp H10. A few people turn early south bound (before passing Hangar Lane Gyratory) and others forget to drop from 1200ft to 750ft (against 27L/R traffic)
Once you get to the river it becomes easier of course, but you may have to hold at London Bridge against London City 28 departures. Depending on traffic at City, plan on going Isle of Dogs South East to keep you away from the 28 approach.

Give us a call with the exact details when you have them (ie EXACTLY where you are - the SVFR controller has a helilanes chart at hand and give your point of departure in relation to the RPs on the chart)

If RAF Northolt have traffic then expect 126.45 - but otherwise 125.625 for SVFR, Thames 132.7 and possibly City Tower 118.075.

Good luck.

Helinut
29th May 2007, 10:10
I would endorse all the above.
You sensibly need 2 people for your first time. The workload can be very high, and you need someone to fly accurately and someone else to do the radio and manipulate the map. The full map is very large, and difficult to handle in the aircraft. When I used to instruct on such things, I had a little summary map A4 size, with all the route heights and reporting points etc. which could be used after a thorough briefing.
These days there are a number of restricted areas monitored closely by the security boys. They will not be impressed if you blunder through "their" zones - legal action will be likely to follow.
A run through on Google Earth would be a good idea too.
Apart from anything else, you need a bit of spare capacity to enjoy the view too :ok:
If I was around and not working I would offer to come with you...........

Looking at Alan M's post, the easiest way out of your site would possibly be a non-route SVFR clearance straight out of the London Zone to the north

AlanM
29th May 2007, 10:44
If it isn't too busy, we (or at least I!) can help you through. The trouble is that IF it gets busy, and the any of the 5 police helicopters come into the zone (Flight Priority B normally) and or the Helimeds scramble the workload increases and we don't have time to see you through and you become on your own!

I am in from 1400hrs today so call on the number given if you wish.

(I wasn't trying to put you off what can be a stunning heli flight - just your flight could probably do without the hassle!!)

Hey - if you can afford a house in Stoke Poges why not just get airborne for a 30 min famil!?? I am free tomorrow if you want a nav! :)

ShyTorque
29th May 2007, 11:19
Alan, you tart! :p

Only joking, good advice. Make sure he calls up before lifting :E

AlanM
29th May 2007, 11:36
ST - Consider yourself grounded....

"Remain outside Controlled airspace - delay not determined!!"

Brilliant Stuff
29th May 2007, 14:53
I would have loved to give you a hand but I am on nightshift this week.

Have a brilliant flight back to Sweden.

perfrej
29th May 2007, 18:19
Great advice. I have taken the half-easy way out. Today I went to Denham to re-fuel - no probs. Called up "London Special" and got clearance and squawk up to Denham. On the way back I was kicked out of the zone a number of times because some unknown aircraft entered. Anyway, tomorrow I will take the way I took on the way over i November - north of London CTR and on to Dover, then Calais. Didn't pick up any maps, but I do have a Skymap IIIc in the machine.

Oh, the house in Stoke Poges - not mine, it belongs to the owner of the helicopter ;)

Once again - thanks for all good pieces advice!

Scheduled start tomorrow is 0500 UTC... Good nite!

All the best,

Per

AlanM
29th May 2007, 18:41
Well done.....

and sorry about being kicked out of the zone due to the Zone Infringer.

IMPORTANT...

If you are leaving before 0530Z you MUST call Heathrow Approach on 119.725. After 0530Z then call 125.625.

ShyTorque
29th May 2007, 21:24
"On the way back I was kicked out of the zone a number of times because some unknown aircraft entered."

Nothing to do with me, no, not me trying to use stealth mode due to being "grounded" by a cheeky ATC chappie. I just took a day off instead :E

AlanM
29th May 2007, 22:38
Ahh - but it was a spectacular infringer......

.... bad timings....

Rushes
30th May 2007, 14:18
tell us more Al...........!! ;)

AlanM
30th May 2007, 14:50
Best let the CAA publish the details.....

.....but it wasn't far off being an ATZ infringer...:ouch:

perfrej
1st Jun 2007, 05:30
Great day for a ferry-tour. Sunshine the whole way, ten knots in the tail. Fuel stops at Calais, Emden and Ängelholm. Got stock in fog and stratus on the ground about two hours from home, and the wheather has been like that for the past day. I will go down and pick it up from the truck stop tonight.

We were actually given a route straight south out of London - our flight plan was "missing". I wonder why that always happens...

I'm truly curious about the infringer...

Thanks AlanM for all advice!

/perfrej