PDA

View Full Version : Singapore ATPL

YUCCY
28th May 2007, 13:06
Dear Pilots,

Does anyone have any info on the CAA requirements for the pilots that would like to work in Singapore (Singapore A, SilkAir,Tiger...).
I understand that they require now pilots to pass all the ATPL exams? Is this a fact?
If it is how big of a deal it is and how long does it approximately lasts?

Any info appreciated

Thanks

thornycactus
28th May 2007, 15:44
Wow...! You are from Belgrade! It is a beautiful city in the Southern Europe.

I have did a thorough search specially for you just now. For CAAS requirements, you need to clear UKCAA ATPL papers. It is much tougher than UK-JAR FCL ATPL papers.

If you have a UK-JAR FCL ATPL, you might be exempted from CAAS' UKCAA ATPL papers. However, if you are holding any Europe JAR/JAA ATPL, I am afraid that you will have to sit for all UKCAA ATPL papers. :ugh:

But, before you are qualify to sit for the ATPL exam, you need to be employed first with any Singapore air operator.

useless
28th May 2007, 16:42
If you have some PIC time,maybe no need to take exams,only air law.

YUCCY
28th May 2007, 17:18
Yes Belgrade is a beautiful city especially this time of the year when all the people go out in the streets to have some fresh air after winter. Unfortunately haven’t been home for some time.
Thank you very much for your search it is very informative. I have passed all the JAA ATPL exams an i am not too happy about going trough it again. Does Singapore companies offer any assistance?

Thanks for help again.

thornycactus
29th May 2007, 04:42
You are certainly welcome! :)

I am afraid even holding a JAA ATPL, you will be required to sit for all UKCAA ATPL papers compulsory.

I can understand your feelings very well and lots of people are so reluctant to sit for those ATPL papers again. I have met JAA ATPL holders (experienced Captains and co-pilots) and they have no choice but to sit for those UKCAA papers again. Not only that, flight check-ride is a must. Before a check-ride is being conducted, you have to complete a certain numbers of flying hours.

UKCAA ATPL papers are no longer offer in U.K. Many countries are firm and still using UKCAA examination standard. CAAS does not mark these papers and they are sent to UK for marking.

Once you have completed UKCAA exam papers plus check-ride and successfully converted your JAA ATPL licence to CAAS ATPL licence. It will be very easy for you to convert to any foreign licence thereafter.

To answer your question, if you were to be employed by any Singapore air operator, they will assist you. You have to remember, CAAS will consider your licence conversion, only you have been employed by Singapore air operator.

alwaysworking
29th May 2007, 12:35
Take a look at the CAAS webpages. There will be plenty of info on the exams, but be careful and read the latest circulars. There have been a few unwritten rules in Singapore that have now been formalised. Basicaly you need ATP Air Law and 3000hrs in commercial or like operations. The Authority will need you logbook (they like to hold on for a bit, certified copy no good) then they descide. Air Law is a pain, not overly hard but there are still questiond on airships.

ldr
31st May 2007, 14:08
Hi,

The information you have received here is incorrect.

From 1st Jan 2007 CAAS recognize JAA ATPL theory from ANY JAA member state, but you must have a full ATPL and not a frozen ATPL.
The only exam you will have to take is the Singapore airlaw.

I just got my SIN ATPL a few month ago and all I did was the SIN airlaw and to show my JAA theory results....and of course the airplane and instrument checkride.

But you have to be employed by a SIN company and the requirements for flight time I don´t know.

Good luck !!:ok:

wally747
30th Jun 2007, 04:25
Hello Pilots,

My Son is a new graduate with CPL + CFI + MEI + ATP written, and he did apply so SIN & China, he is facing the need to pass the CAAC ATP exam, any thought or idea or web-site or questions book like the one is used by the FAA, to help him out or to get an idea. your help is highly appreciated.
U can PM me or e-mail me if you have any info ASAP PLEASE.

Thank you & fly safe

cougar77
30th Jun 2007, 16:45
Firstly, apply to a Spore company to see if you are accepted. If you are, then you would probably meet the hours required by CAAS.

CAAS will not issue a Spore ATPL licence if you are not sponsored/employed by a Spore company. You would have to take an Air Law paper and probably 1 or 2 additional papers depending on the strength of your foreign licence.

If it's any consolation, its easier for a non-sporean to get their foreign licence converted than a sporean with a foreign licence.

Currently, SIA accepts Malaysian, Hong Kong and Indian national for ab-initio. These guys do the complete papers.

Good luck