PDA

View Full Version : restore points

nitro rig driver
28th May 2007, 12:12
Have been unable to restore my computer to any restore points that are logged and have tried them all
just keeps coming back as unable.

any ideas :ugh:

Tarq57
28th May 2007, 23:48
I've had this in the past, also. I don't think there's a way to make them work when this happens. Depends on the reason, perhaps. (There are ways to re-enable system restore following a corruption caused by, say, malware, but this doesn't sound like that situation...)
Why do you want or need to restore?

Parapunter
29th May 2007, 12:58
XP? Try booting in safe mode and restoring from there.

planecrazy.eu
29th May 2007, 15:03
As said, try safe mode first, if that fails, search the MS Windows Website, i am sure i installed a patch from there to fix an error in the restore, may be a different reason, but who knows?

Devlin Carnet
30th May 2007, 09:41
AFAIK you cant restore in safe mode, But I do stand to be corrected.

Mac the Knife
30th May 2007, 10:10
FWIW I've never been able to successfully restore a borked Windows install to stability from restore points.

I suspect it's wishful thinking on MS part.

nitro rig driver
30th May 2007, 11:41
The reason for a restore was because i was unable to launch
my VPN software (just keep getting the MS window "we are sorry but xxxx has had a problem and needs to shutdown" (have redownloaded several times but with no luck) and had just had a update from MS-so thought that might have had something to do with it (maybe some security thingy)-however believe the restore point option went with IE7 so might have to go back to IE6 (but i really like the tabbing options)

Tarq57
30th May 2007, 12:11
This update wasn't the ms installer fix, was it?
My PC went berserk following that, came right after a restart but the behaviour was worrisome, and apparently rare amongst the people I asked.
Is there an error number relating to this in the log anywhere, and does it point the way to any help from MS?
(Programs>admin tools>event viewer)

[EDIT] If it's the tabbing options you like about IE7, consider Firefox. Tabs, trouble-free, lower web vulnerability, cures unknown diseases etc

green granite
30th May 2007, 12:17
and had just had a update from MS

You can un-install updates by going to control panel - add and remove programmes. It should give you a list of the more recent updates near the end of the list.

Spitoon
30th May 2007, 18:25
On the Add/Remove programmes there's a box to tick at the top of the window called 'Show updates' - needs to be ticked to get to them that way.

But FWIW, I don't think I've ever managed to use System Restore in anger. Every time I've thought it might solve some problems it hasn't solved them or there were no restore points available - the latter always struck me as strange seeing as I know I set some manually on a number of occasions in the few days previously!

Went back to my old insurance policy of creating a disk image from time to time - always been able to go back to a known state that way.

nitro rig driver
31st May 2007, 11:23
Ok i think i've been beating the wrong track...
my original prob was with i was unable to launch my vpn
Seems that rebooting the router/modem works but only the once..
Back to the drawing board again

Ps-firefox doesn't display my work email correctly hence the damn
reason for using it

Blues&twos
31st May 2007, 20:42
If you have Norton Internet Security 2006 or 2007 installed on a Windows XP machine it could be that you have "product protection" switched on in the Norton configuration. This means your computer will still create restore points, but you won't be able to restore to any of those created after Norton was installed. The following link tells you how to get around this, but it won't make your "dodgy" restore points usable.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

I had this problem and as soon as I followed these instructions, no problem!