PDA

View Full Version : charging an IPod inflight

flyyy
28th May 2007, 09:41
I will fly from ZRH to BNE with Singapore Airlines (economy class).
My IPod battery does not last long enough for the whole trip.
I was wondering if it is possible to charge the IPod inflight? as far as i got it there is an in seat power supply, are there adapters from that to an IPod?
Somewhere I saw that there is a USB-port to connect a keyboard to the screen. Is it possible to use that port to charge an IPod?
Looking 4ward to flying with SQ, seems there product is quite nice.

Final 3 Greens
28th May 2007, 10:19
flyyy

Have you considered buying a external Lion battery pack for your iPod?
That will give you 3 or 4 times more battery life and you can charge it from usb before you travel.

With one of these, you are independent of aircraft systems (which may be out of order.)

Cost in the UK is about 20 GBP, don't know about CH.

flyyy
28th May 2007, 15:57
I have not heard from an external battery pack but i think it is a good idea. thanks

Rush2112
29th May 2007, 05:44
If you're on the new 777ER, it is a good product. I was in cattle class HKG - SIN the other week, good seat, excellent TV screen and what seemed thousands of movies and TV shows to choose from. Certainly a lot of CDs as well, you may not need the iPod(!)

Bushfiva
29th May 2007, 07:21
Since I always find myself wanting to charge about a million things at once, I found a very small powered USB hub with an equally small wall wart, and use that to charge music player, PVP, phone & camera.

If you're going to experiment with the USB connector, I found a great little USB power cord: USB passthrough on one end, cable carrying power only ends in a universal socket with lots of little adapters. You could insert the cord into the USB port and still be able to use the keyboard.

flyyy
29th May 2007, 08:30
2 of the flights (ZRH-SIN / SIN-ZRH) should be on the 777ER and i am looking forward to experience their cattle class (altough i am not that much looking forward to the long flight). Probably there i will have enough TV/Videos/Music so I won't actually need my IPod.

SIN-BNE is on 777-200. How is inflight entertainment on that airplane?

Rush2112
30th May 2007, 06:12
Not sure, some of the 772s still have the old IFE, while others have the previous version of 'Wisemen', which is their on-demand system. Screen will be a lot smaller, about 20cm diagonal, although it is in the seat back.

You may want to save your iPod battery for that leg(!)