PDA

View Full Version : Crossing from Freight to Pax on Oz basing

Wine Glass
28th May 2007, 06:25
Hi there,
I am hoping someone in the know could answer a question about transferring between Freighters and Pax on a base (in this case Australia). I understand if you start on the freighter you are locked in for three years from end of training. Is there anything stopping you from completing your three years and then transferring to pax on a base...with the exception of seniority? So if you did three years and you wanted to go across to passenger flying, you just have to sit out until your seniority is such that you can bid across? Does the company have some clause that may lock you in to freight beyond three years?
At the risk getting WAY ahead of myself, if you eventually got a command on the freighter, is there anything to stop you from bidding across to a passenger command ONCE you have the seniority to do so? Or is it structured that freight to pax transfers on a base are difficult to accomplish?
I realise a whole bunch of questions there, but would greatly appreciate any constructive responses.
Thanks in advance.
WG :)

Five Green
29th May 2007, 00:34
Australia currently has no 747-400 Passanger bases.

The freight going to Aus will eventually be done by 744s (no classics)

So to get a pax base in Australia you would need to do your freighter commitment (42 months or whatever the flavour of the day is) and then you are elligible to come "across" to the pax fleet. There must be an FO position available on the pax fleet. IF you want to stay in AUS on the pax fleet then you would need to change aircraft types (AUS is all airbus all year !). To change aircraft types would take considerably longer as you would need to use what is called a "joker". A joker is a one time type transfer. After you use it you don't got any more. As there are only a limited number of joker courses offered each year (at co. discretion) it is possible that you could stay on the freighter considerably longer if you did not want to move to Hong Kong base.

Having said all that the rumour has that the company wants to re-integrate the freighter fleet. What that re-integration will look like or how long it will take is, as we say in aviation "all up in the air"

So sorry I cannot be more helpful but stand by for new meaage !

FG

Wine Glass
29th May 2007, 07:22
Thanks for the reply Five Green, your time is appreciated.
Food for thought there...of course, the near $30K difference between that and a DEFO passenger job is a real disincentive. Maybe if they bring the pay up to a parity... :ouch: