PDA

View Full Version : Recognition of Flying Hours

Islandcrazy
28th May 2007, 02:20
Okay. I have read the training etc threads. I have tried to find this in the AIM/FAR. I have not been able to find an answer.

This is hopefully straighforward and should not generate too much discussion. I realise So at the risk of being flamed....here is the question.

I have an FAA PPL(H) so.......

---- Will the FAA recogize dual and solo hours performed in a non USA registered aircraft with a CAA instructor for the purposes of an FAA CPL(H)? ----

(pulls on his tin hat) :ouch:

Thanks

IC

Bravo73
28th May 2007, 06:52
Yes (as long as you fulfil any additional FAA training requirements).

Or, at least, they did for me. :ok:

PS As you are probably aware, any blue, underlined text on t'interweb is usually a link. I couldn't seem to click on your text above... ;)

NickLappos
28th May 2007, 12:56
Are you guys sure? I think the FAA regs are clear:

(2) Authorized instructor means—
(i) A person who holds a valid ground instructor certificate issued under part 61 or part 143 of this chapter when conducting ground training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her ground instructor certificate;
(ii) A person who holds a current flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate; or...

Of course, if someone has made it work, that trumps these words.

Helipilot1982
28th May 2007, 20:54
There were no problems with my hours!!!

hihover
28th May 2007, 22:12
Yes they will, have a look in Part 61 at regulation 61.41, I think you will find that you fit in there.

You will, however, need to find an FAA Authorized Instructor as described by Nick to do some flying with you in the 60 days prior to your FAA Commercial flight test and to sign your recommendation for testing on the application form (can't remember the form name/number).

cl12pv2s
28th May 2007, 23:56
Nick (et Al)

There are two items which pertain here. 61.41(a)(2) and your definition.
61.41 which says that you can get credit from non-FAA instructors.

Sec. 61.41
Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA
(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:
(1) A flight instructor of an Armed Force in a program for training military pilots of either--
(i) The United States; or
(ii) A foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.
(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.
However, 61.41(b) is relevant. It says that the instructor can only show give endorsements to show training given. This is as opposed to endorsing for checkrides, practical tests etc..etc..

Wherever the FAR requires a checkride endorsement or similar, it will ask for an 'authorised' instructor, which is per the definition in your post. i.e. FAA certified.

Basically the answer is yes, but the foreign instructor cannot sign-off on anything.

Hope this helps.

cl12pv2s

P.S. Your solo hours are recognised, by virtue of the fact that it wasn't training....if you flew solo, you flew solo!