PDA

View Full Version : Owning your own.

Philpaz
26th May 2007, 12:14
I have done a quick search on this, but would appreciate some insight from others. If i was to buy a cesna 172 or something like would it really be worth it. I'm going to do my fATPL on the integrated route and have enough to pay for my TR (not that i want to but we'll see what options are open to me at the time).
Would my TR money be better served going in to a share of an aircraft, i do plan on getting my FI rating in the future but would primarily use the plane for hour/exp building then pleasure. I personally like this idea more than my TR but am worried about running/maintenance costs. Could anyone shed any light on there own costs? Also if the worse came to the worst and i needed the cash back for my TR how are aircraft for retaining value?

I'm no expert on any of these subjects so ANY input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

worldoflard
26th May 2007, 19:21
Phil,

I am in a syndicate, and this works great for pleasure flying - easy to take an aircraft to France for the weekend etc, even if only logging a few hours in total. Not something you could do with a club aircraft.

However if you are purely looking for hour building on the commercial route, then ownership or group ownership is unlikely to be your best bet.

With ownership (for a simple single) you will probably be looking at £10k per annum for the fixed charges and £55 - £70 ph on fuel/oil/etc, which generally means 200 hours + per year in order to break even when compared to solo hire from most clubs. However depreciation in a/c that are already older than most hour building pilots is almost non-existant - but it does take a while to sell an aircraft.

Syndicate membership may be better (similar fixed charges, but smaller fixed costs, typically circa £100 pm). But beware some syndicates don't welcome hour builders, and most will expect you to sell your own share when you leave, but you will still be liable for the monthly charge in the meantime, even if you are no longer flying. Also availability can be a problem, esp if your flying days coincide with bad weather days - you can't just book again the next day.

All in all, you may find it more cost effective to hire from your club, or even find a club which will arrange a block rate for your hour building. You could still get the occasional weekend away to break the monotony.

Chris.

Chilli Monster
26th May 2007, 21:56
You have a PM.

Saab Dastard
27th May 2007, 11:06
I suppose that if you have your own aerobatic aeroplane it's a case of

"Rolling your own"

:)

SD