PDA

View Full Version : Jumping off a webpage

Bendigo
26th May 2007, 06:34
At work one of my PCs is an inspiron 6400 , XP Pro normal sort of stuff,MS office small business.

I am often online. The browser seems to have developed an annoying habit of jumping "off " certain internet pages. For example whenever I try to look at ebay.com the browser will just immediately go to the dell/google search page and say that ebay couldn't be found. There seem to be a growing list of sites that when I try to logon the browser defaults to the dell/google searchpage and says the site cannot be found. Anyone know what is going on here ? is it the settings , all of the sites I wanted to go to do exist but the browser just seems to default.

Also I am getting popups from install shield update manager sometimes reminding me to get updates. I run Mcaffe for firewall , virus etc etc - factory fitted. What is this install shield is it factory or something that invited itself onto my computer ? If it is not factory fitted how do I get rid of it?

Richard Spandit
26th May 2007, 14:17
Install shield is part of Microsoft Windows Defender - it is basically getting your security updates automatically and is best left to its own devices.

Regarding the not finding sites bit, you'll have to give us more information - what ISP (service provider) are you using, how do you access the net (ADSL router, USB modem etc.)?

Do a thorough virus scan and get back to us...

Bendigo
27th May 2007, 02:14
Using our friends at Telstra via an ADSL connection.

The page it always seems to jump off is ebay.com.au - it will stay on it for a while them just jump to the dell/google search page.

Just did a manual scan using Mcaffe - removed about six items - but still jumping from ebay. Is there some kind of super scan you can do using Mcaffe that I don't know about. Also I don't look at sites where you might think that you can get a PUP from.