PDA

View Full Version : DVD-R v DVD+R

DaveO'Leary
25th May 2007, 19:30
Hi all
Just bought a DVD recorder (dual DVD-R/RW DVD+R/RW record and playback) and was wondering, is there any noticeable difference in the recording and playback quality of either format?
Dave

spannersatcx
25th May 2007, 21:24
I don't think there is quality wise.
I've just brought a DVD recorder for recording satellite, the main difference was in the way it was recorded and for whatever reason the +RW's seem more versatile in how you can record, no finalising of discs required whereas the -RW needed this doing.

eticket
25th May 2007, 23:00
The biggest problem that you may face is not what type of DVD you should use for your own recordings but what type should you use if you intend to record something for someone else to use, (legally of course), or for use in the future on another DVD machine that you might get.

In my experience DVD-R seems to be the most compatible. That is not to say that some machines don't prefer DVD+R but I have had far fewer people saying they can't read DVD-R than saying they can't read DVD+R.

Disk brand/type and especially the batch can be critical in compatability, with even supposedly reliable disks causing grief from time to time. (I have even had recordings not playing back on the computer and drive that recorded them but then playing back fine on DVD Video players and the reverse happens with the next disk. Change to leftovers of a different batch of the same 'reliable' brand and type and all are fine - except I don't have enough of them!) Grrrr.

One final thought is durability I understand that the RW type disks won't usually last as long as the R types, so for any important or family recordings I would use an R type and put it on at least two of them. I have one regularly played DVD-R disk that is two years old and is now showing signs of disintegtation.

IO540
26th May 2007, 07:22
I gather DVD-R are more compatible than DVD+R for playback in consumer DVD players.

For use in PC drives there probably isn't much difference.

However, none of these media can be regarded as much good for long term backup.

BOAC
26th May 2007, 08:09
Also be aware that a lot of 'branded' blank DVDs are NOT necessarily as per the branding. There is a lot of rubbish out there and a quick Google for DVD disk quality will give you a clue. Some of the 'cheaper' stuff has been assesssed as up to 90%+ unreliable both in recording and durabilty of the recording due to poor dye in the manufacture. There is at least one thread here about it too.

A quote from one site on the bottom of the range stuff:

Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate. These discs are pretty much only suited for preventing drink cup rings from forming on a table. Most of the time, these are ready-made coasters. If you can actually get a burner to acknowledge the disc, do not expect much, and if the burn actually succeeds, do not be surprised if a DVD-ROM or player chokes on the disc (read/play errors). Cheap prices, cheap junk quality.

I recently warned a business friend about this and he discovered he needed to re-issue 500 commercial disks to customers:eek:

DaveO'Leary
26th May 2007, 15:07
Thanks all for the feedback. I must admit bought a few boxes from Lidl the german supermarket chain £2.99 box of five. Recon I'll save the family home vids on a more well known brand of DVD.

Dave

BOAC
26th May 2007, 16:07
Before you consign them to the coaster draw it might be worth downloading http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ and load one in the drive to see.

Check http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm to see how your disk fares.

DaveO'Leary
26th May 2007, 17:23
BOAC, thanks for the links, but I can't get 'my head around'...."'dvd identifier' retrieves and interprets the pre-recorded information that is present on dvd"

I might need a good solicitor:eek:
Dave

BOAC
26th May 2007, 17:35
Nah! Dinna waste your money! It looks at the basic 'structure' of the disk and will identify the actual source of the disk rather than what is on the tin.

Cornish Jack
26th May 2007, 18:37
Disk types would appear to be a minefield.
I recently made my first attempt to dub from the DVD HD to disk. Out of six different manufacturers, only two were recognised as useable by the machine, one -R and the other -RW - which had to be formatted. When complete the disk replayed beautifully on the originating machine BUT NOT ON ANY OTHER!!!. Eventually had to resort to the 'pooter' and burn some video CDs which have worked beautifully on all machines. Even more irritating, the DVD recorder manufacturers (JVC) own disks couldn't be dubbed to:mad:

reynoldsno1
30th May 2007, 02:54
Don't buy generic disks - especially those made in Taiwan. I had a 80% failure rate on dual layer DVDs (DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL are a lot harder to find). I now usually buy Mitsubishi discs, and have had 0% failure rate.

I tend to use Cd-R and DVd-R, the older format. My 7 year old Tosh DVD player plays them fine, although the manual says it will not play them!

Keef
30th May 2007, 10:22
Thanks for the links, BOAC! Very useful!

The pack of DVD-R on my shelf is in "Band 2" according to the analysis.
I've not had a bad recording yet, so that bears it out.