PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Crete

PompeyPaul
25th May 2007, 08:28
Does anybody have any contacts for any flying clubs in Crete ? I am going there on holiday soon and would love to go out for a brimble around the island.

The problem is I'm a 30hour student (not yet PPL) so I guess it's unlikely they'll let me go solo but I don't mind taking an instructor with me.

Anybody know anything about clubs in Crete ? Would love to get a couple of hours, even if it's not real instruction just hours building, whilst on my hols.

IO540
25th May 2007, 08:31
There is a flying club (http://www.aer.gr/aeroclub/indexen.htm)at Hania (LGSA) I believe.

I have sent you a PM with other info.

Dave Gittins
25th May 2007, 09:19
I hired a C-152 at Heraklion about 3 years ago from a school called Cretan Eagle whose office overlooks the baggage reclaim in the airport. It was run by a Cretan guy called George who had formerly been an instructor at Stapleford and who took one of their C-152s with him. http://www.cretaneagle.com/

The Cretans (the CAA not George) were very funny about letting me be P1 without a Greek license (you have to file a flight plan even for a VFR bimble)and medical despite that I have a JAR PPL but we got there in the end. You have not got a prayer as a 30 hr student ... and it would not be a good idea either.

I had one of his club members as a safety pilot, just so he knew the routes, the avoids (there are a couple of military bases) and the procedures.

Typically when I fly abroad there is a serious lack of terminal chrts, VFR topographic charts etc and I have often used the local proceedure of a tourist map frm a local hotel. Thus a local man is a must have.

Was very enjoyable, esp. having to limp up to FL 70 to get over the mountains to the south coast. Interesting differences betwen UK and Greece. was "surprised" whe doing the checks on the taxiway when an airbus wing passed directly over the top of us.

Esp interesting was the coast to the east of the airport from Agnios Nickloaus (where I stayed) back to the field.

A good day out would be to fly to Santorini.

kimionis kosmas
28th May 2007, 11:52
Aeroclub of Chania is at the west end of Creta island.
We have 4 planes. One C177B , one C172M, one C150M and a SOCATA RALLYE MS880.
I ll be very glady to fly together.
Call me a week before.
Regards
Kosmas Kimionis
More informations in our website: www.aer.gr

PompeyPaul
28th May 2007, 21:15
Thanks for all of the replies!

My partner has changed plans to go to Hong Kong instead. I've emailed the HK aviation club and looks like I can get an hour with them.

Thanks for all of the help!

IO540
28th May 2007, 21:47
I am going to LGSA later this year.

How does Chania work with the incredibly long (14 days I think) PPR requirement? I don't think they book circuits that far ahead ;)