PDA

View Full Version : Ghurka Rifleman PUN VC. Triumph! (Merged)

Pages : [1] 2

Maple 01
24th May 2007, 21:40
Apologies, only a tangent link to flying, our chums over on ARRSE have highlighted the plight of a Gurkha VC winner,
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=66783#1291856

In fact while I'm at it, re-release of Brothers In Arms as a Falklands 25 charity download

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/...c/start=0.html

SmilingKnifed
25th May 2007, 00:12
I can only echo the sentiments posted on ARRSE. Today, I'm utterly ashamed to be British.:mad:

Blacksheep
25th May 2007, 00:50
He belongs in hospital.

The Royal Hospital Chelsea.

We're long. long overdue for a Gurkha Chelsea Pensioner.

Tigs2
25th May 2007, 01:22
A total utter disgrace
however lets give full hospitality and full financial and medical support to 6(or was it 7) Afghans who hijacked an aircraft and brought it to the UK. They have got strong ties with the UK haven't they!

I am bloody fuming! What is the so called federation supposed to be doing??

When and where is the appeal, and can we get every off duty and ex-servicemen to go and attend the court hearing?

Why is he on a fifth to a tenth of the pension that a brit would have got??

I bet he is so loyal he has not sold his VC for the £150k it is worth.

As a nation we should be utterly utterly ashamed of ourselves:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

YesTAM
25th May 2007, 03:16
I simply cannot believe that this is happening. I'm glad that my Father is no longer alive to see this.

I would like to think that someone will bring this matter to the attention of Her Majesty and that a suitable phone call will follow. This bloke should be well and truly looked after.

I had the priviledge of serving with a a couple of Gurkhas in a hot and rainy place and finer men you simply will not find.......along with an incredible sense of humour when the going got tough.

Blacksheep
25th May 2007, 03:48
Just finished writing to the Prime Minister to request his intervention in the case. May I suggest everyone else who feels as I do, should do the same?

Now off to find Her Majesty's e-mail address... :*

...she doesn't have one. You can't e-mail the Royal Household. (I believe the Royal Chemberlain's office have only just discovered the benefits of the telephone)

She is pleased to receive snail mail from both her loyal and Her not-so loyal (like me) subjects at:

Her Majesty the Queen
Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1BA

You can also contact The Duke of Edinburgh at the same address.

The Prince of Wales is at:
Clarence House
St James's Palace
London SW1A 1BA

Now, lets swamp them all with protests. . .

After all, its not as hard as charging several enemy machine gun posts, while ankle deep in mud and firing a Bren gun from the hip.

Robert Cooper
25th May 2007, 04:26
You know, every now and again something happens which reminds me why I left that dump over there when I retired. An here is another one.

This is bloody disgusting. I was fortunate to rub shoulders with some of these gentlemen while serving in the far east, and there were none finer.

This is not the only kick in the pants the British government has given the Ghurkas over the years, loyal servants of the crown all, but this has to be the most heartless.

If there was ever a time for intervention from the palace, this is it.

Bob C

Robert Cooper
25th May 2007, 04:56
Blacksheep, I am now also writing to the addresses you gave, And incase anyone is wondering, here is the citation:

No. 10119 Rifleman Tullbahadur Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

In Burma on June 23rd, 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

So intense was this cross fire that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupations. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.

And this man can't live in the UK? My God, what a disgusting state of affairs.

Bob C

The Helpful Stacker
25th May 2007, 06:06
Can we swop him for one our so-called heros, you know those chaps who kick around a piece of leather (badly) for 40k a week.

Its disgusting that this man is being treated this way.:mad: My grandad served in the Chindits during the war, attached to a Gurkha company, and he said he had never met a braver or more loyal bunch of people in his entire life. No doubt he will be rolling over in his grave at this shocking treatment.

The Swinging Monkey
25th May 2007, 06:11
On behalf of the British people, I would simply like to extend my sincere apologies to Tullbahadur Pun and express the utter shame I feel for being British right now. Tigs2, I wholeheartedly agree with you Sir. I don't think I have ever been so ashamed of my country as I am today.

We support, feed, water, cloth, house, give money to and God-knows what else to all the sh1t of the world that comes to this country, many illegally, and yet we cannot do the right thing for someone who has stood by this nation in its hour of need. Just shameful.....absolutely disgusting.

I will also write to HM and her family and express my concern, although I fear it will have little effect. Still, if enough of us do it, she might just mention it to that Scottish lunatic who has an appointment with her in a couple of weeks time, you never know.

Mr Pun, I am so sorry Sir. You offered this nation your unconditional hand of support when we needed it, and now we are offering our thanks by way of a rejection. This is NOT what the British people feel Sir, I can assure you of that, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us.

TSM

ExRAFRadar
25th May 2007, 06:42
This is beyond the pale.

Lions led by Donkeys has never been so appropriate.

How much more can we be expected to take of these self serving, short sighted, ar*e licking tw*ts that we call ministers and civil servants.

READ THE BLOODY CITATION you wan*ers and then go weep for your your lost humanity, honour and sense of duty.

YesTAM
25th May 2007, 07:06
Can I?suggest that you email every military blog you know off and ask them to post this story around the world?

I know it's near impossible to shame Blair and his Government, but you never know.

ExRAFRadar
25th May 2007, 07:49
This one should be stickied until we get some action done.

Come on you Journo's - we all know you troll on here.

Apologies to those that don't troll and have the b*lls to post.

This is a disgusting situation.

And while I am it can we please stop saying we are disgusted at being British and ashamed of ourselves.

I am not disgusted or ashamed at my country or the majority of my fellow countrymen.I am disgusted and ashamed at those who would pretend to lead it and those so called 'civil servants' who are serving time till they get the lucrative 'consultancy' job in private industry.

Ewan Whosearmy
25th May 2007, 07:59
Incredible.

We'll let thius scum bag live here and watch idly while he spreads his poison...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40202000/jpg/_40202351_hamza_pa203.jpg

But we won't let a loyal and worthy defender of the crown come here to die with dignity and comfort...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_02/gurkha2405_468x616.jpg

Truly ashamed to be British. :sad:

wobble2plank
25th May 2007, 08:10
Once again a sickening example of when you let paper pushers and bean counters make all of the bl**dy decisions.

Not one of these shiny arsed desk monkeys has an idea of what turmoil, war and heroism are. The hardest task in their miserable lives is getting out of bed in the morning and hammering round pegs into the square holes on their beaurocratic forms.

It's probably the same bunch of w**kers that sent me my 'thanks for the 18 years of service in the Royal Marines' after serving for 18 years with the FAA :ugh:

How can we, with open arms, bring in Algerian Hijackers, Albainian refugees who manage to hang on to a train and any other malingerer who quotes the human rights act but refuse a man who genuinely displayed a selfless act of heroism in the name of OUR country is beyond me.

But then again it's the same government that doesn't give a toss for the pensioners and can't wait for them to die to get them off the social security books so the money can go to wothwhile causes like single lesbian non caucasian mothers and 'happiness lessons' for teenagers.

Makes me sick.
:mad::mad::mad:

tutgby
25th May 2007, 08:59
I can't believe this. For a man to do his duty warrants the respect of all, i.e. the chaps in the 'stan and iraq.
However, we are not even giving this Gurkha the dignity and comfort he deserves for fighting and risking his life for his country, and winning a VC for his heroism and gallantry in the face of overwhelming odds.

And the British Government is treating him like this...

I feel embarrassed being led by them.
:mad::mad::mad::mad: 'em.

Ivor Fynn
25th May 2007, 11:13
Bloody Government,

HMQ and Lady Ann Winterton MP both e-mailed.

Ivor

hoofie
25th May 2007, 11:28
I had a good look at the picture posted by Ewan Whosearmy.

On first glance you see an old soldier. Then you look at the medals pinned on his chest. Then you look at the small one at the left of the row of medals. Its the smallest one of all - its looks a little dull in colour, probably quite an old one.

Then you realise what it is....

I've just called my 5 year old daughter over and explained to her who the man in the photo is and what that medal means. [I'm a civvie but my late Dad was RAF and my wife's family were all Navy].

It's not much but I've sent some emails to various people in the UK [I live in Oz now] who hopefully can do something. And if there is a fund set-up to help pay his expenses if he ever gets hear, I'll put some cash in it.

Winco
25th May 2007, 12:20
I am utterly ashamed and frankly disgusted at this decision, and I am unable to put into words how strongly I feel about this.

For those of you who wish to send an e mail to HM the Queen, this is her e mail address:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3776.asp

For those who prefer to write:

His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales
Clarence House
London SW1A 1BA

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh
Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA
Tel (during working hours): (+44) (0)20 7930 4832

His Royal Highness The Duke of York
Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA

Their Royal Highness The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Kensington Palace
London W8 4PU
His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent

St. James's Palace
London SW1A 1BQ
Tel (during working hours): (+44) (0)20 7930 4872

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Kent
Wren House
Palace Green
London W8 4PY
Tel (during working hours): (+44) (0)20 7937 2730

Gentlemen if, like me, you are going to contact the Royal Family, might I just suggest that we keep it brief, to the point, sensible and above all else, civil.

I hope very much that if we send enough e mails or letters, that someone might just have a quiet word in the right place to overcome this beaurocratic nonesence, and offer this fine, honourable and distinguished gentleman a place to live out the final years of his life. Its the very least this once-great nation can do for him now. How very sad and ashamed I feel right now.

The Winco

Tigs2
25th May 2007, 12:27
Mods
please can we make this as a sticky until we can get this hero over here for the treatment and hospitality he deserves.

anotherthing
25th May 2007, 12:30
Ewan Whosearmy sums up the ridiculous state this once proud nation is in.

The 'Man' in the first picture, who through the selfless actions of UK servicemen and Women, is allowed the freedom of speech to spout his anti western rubbish, is given benefits etc etc, paid for out of tax payers money. Hell, his court case was postponed so he could have his arm operated on at taxpayers expense!

Then we have the real man below, rifleman Pun, who gets shafted by the very country he bravely fought for.

This country has many good things about it (even still), one of which is our attitude to genuine immigrants - however, when it comes to cases like this, the countries so called 'leaders' are found to be woefully poor.

RatherBeFlying
25th May 2007, 13:09
Gentlemen,

May I recommend this fine gentleman to the Hospital. I am sure the pensioners would be honored and delighted to have him in their company.

Sadly the immigration authorities have denied his visa on the grounds of "insufficient ties to the UK".

Perhaps your office and the pensioners could take up this gentleman's case with the appropriate authorities.

I have appended his citation: -- thanks to Robert Cooper:ok:

Exrigger
25th May 2007, 13:17
Having calmed down a bit I have now written to my MP (Labour) to express my/our disgust at the treatment of Tullbahadur Pun VC, and additionally added the contemptable treatment of our own troops injured/killed in their current escapades around the world.

dum_my
25th May 2007, 13:17
Would it not be possible for the British Army to re-enlist him as a Private in the Royal Gurkha Rifles, and then immediately post him to the UK?

Surely our Gurkha recruiters in Nepal could do this. And it would sidestep the paper-pushers.

spoff
25th May 2007, 13:37
Hi All,

First post despite having followed pprune for many years.

Will also send letter to local MP and Gordon Brown as it would appear that he is running the country already.

Ashamed to be a Brit today.

Spoff.

doubledolphins
25th May 2007, 13:42
Get him here now.

Every one else, stop being ashamed of being British, just be ashamed of the := who made the decision. Then do some thing about it.

Green Flash
25th May 2007, 13:43
The Palace and 10 Downing Street allready e-mailed.

Who are these people who make such decisions? How do they get into positions of responsibility? I cannot think of a more deserving wearer of the red coat and tricorn hat. Words fail.

Rifleman Pun. Sir, I salute you.

BattlerBritain
25th May 2007, 14:01
How about invite him for a trip in a Herc (along with a few fellow Gurkhas) and when he gets here claim that they hijacked the plane and want political asylum (afterall the Chinese are being a bit tetchy in that neck-of-the-woods).

Well it worked for that bunch of Afghans?

wingcmdr
25th May 2007, 14:38
I have emailed all of the aforementioned people and places.

I would like to add my sense of outrage at the way in which this matter has been handled. God knows that the MOD could do with a little positive PR right now.....but there are none so blind as those who will not see.

I too salute you Sir.

ORAC
25th May 2007, 15:14
For those that wish to write to the House of Lords:

C/O The House of Lords
London
SW1A 0PW

Rt Hon the Lord King of Bridgwater, CH
Tel: 020 7219 4467
Fax: 020 7219 4566

Field Marshal the Lord Bramall, KG, GCB, OBE, MC
Tel: 020 7219 6621

Air Marshal the Lord Garden, KCB
Tel: 020 7219 2747

3 Point
25th May 2007, 15:20
The neglect shown by society at large to our heroes outside times of war is nothing new; Rudyard Kipling wrote ...

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! They’ll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Kippling at his best; he understood the way of the world!

I am ashamed to read about the treatment of this old soldier, letter to MP is on the way!

PPRuNeUser0139
25th May 2007, 15:52
There's a No10 petition here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/
if you think all ex Gurkhas should be granted British citizenship.

sv

effortless
25th May 2007, 15:57
He should have joined the Legion, automatic French citizenship. Have written to the supplied addresses thank you for drawing our attention.

RatherBeFlying
25th May 2007, 16:05
I received a most prompt reply from the Adjutant of the Royal Chelsea Hospital indicating that no application has yet been received from the gentleman.

If somebody can organise getting a application to the Chelsea Hospital filled out by Mr. Pun and forwarded to the Hospital, I suspect the matter could be quickly resolved in a rewarding way.

Roland Pulfrew
25th May 2007, 16:26
This is a shameful state of affairs and sadly symptomatic of New Liarbours failure to control immigration into this country. We seem to let in all of the undesireables and yet keep out those who might actually have a call on living here!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

One more for the address list:

The Minister of State for the Armed Forces
Rt Hon Adam Ingram MP
Ministry of Defence
Floor 5
Zone B
Main Building
Whitehall
SW1A 2HB

Taken from this website http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celtic_league/message/2215 not quite sure what they have against the Hawk but an interesting read!!:rolleyes:

Type1Dsl
25th May 2007, 16:40
HM, TB and local MP James Arbuthnot all e-mailed and asked to intervene. It just makes you want to weep.

forget
25th May 2007, 17:04
I give this 24 hours before we are smiling at the outcome. I don't personally know the Lady in the big house at the end of The Mall but I imagine, when she's 'not amused' with her lackeys in private, she takes no prisoners. When she gets the right guy on the carpet (probably already has) she'll make Maggie look like Mary Poppins. We won't hear about her involvement but it'll happen.

Maple 01
25th May 2007, 21:15
Shameless bump - Trying to get the Bennies to sign up, don't think 2,000 islanders are going to forget the Gurkhas in a hurry

sycamore
25th May 2007, 21:49
Guys, you may want to have a look at a couple of sites in relation to the `Gurkhas`,history etc, and present `Terms and conditions of Service`;
www.gwt.org.uk/index
www.thegurkhamuseum.co.uk;
and associated links; the Ambassador (British) might also welcome an e-mail [email protected];..before he gets one from Aunty Bet.
I have also e-mailed my local MP s.
I think the `snivelling serpent` should be sent home via an `embedded` couple of months with the infantry in Iraq or A`stan , and then go and take his pencil and notebook to Dover ,or Harwich and act diligently in stopping the influx of Central European thieves,vagabonds, criminals,etc; remember, they didn`t vote for us in the Eurovision song contest, but want to come and live off the honest folk in this country........Syc:*

Tigs2
26th May 2007, 00:37
Our treatment in general, of this amazing, brave group of individuals - the Gurkhas does not deserve the unswerving loyalty that they have displayed to us as a nation throughout history.

Any man or woman that takes an oath to serve Her Majesty and her people, with the understanding that it may cost their life, which they willingly offer, deserve to be afforded every privilage we can offer them as a nation, including citizenship if they so desire. To read the citation and even consider that Tullbahadur Pun VC, part of the very backbone of our military ethos should not be afforded this privialage simply beggars belief.

Where is the MP chap Ian Liddell-Grainger who was asking our help on this site?? Is he reading this? and if so, can you please post your thoughts.

RatherBeFlying Good job Sir! We need an application and we need to get it to Tullbahadur Pun VC quickly. I guess a call the the Adjutant will do.

mojocvh
26th May 2007, 07:42
The VC stuck to his chest has earned him the right to park his arse in Great Britian for however long he likes and 'demand' all the bleedin medical care that we can currently get in to him.

MoJo

YesTAM
26th May 2007, 08:13
I've forwarded details of this mess to three weblogs and all have posted them.

If he can't go to Britain, I'd like to see him and his colleagues here in Australia. We could do with all of them.

I've never seen better servicemen. Carrying GPMG's all day without raising a sweat when I was black with it and exhausted...... Sending "naughty postcards" to the CO back in Hong Kong......Finding a frog in ones bedding courtesy of a "thoughtful" Gurkha.

Please send them here.

JessTheDog
26th May 2007, 13:20
There will be a dedicated petition on the Downing Street website shortly...assuming the civil servants don't try and wriggle out of it!

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to allow Victoria Cross holder Tul Bahadur Pun to live in the United Kingdom

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/open?cat=911

Tigs2
26th May 2007, 13:29
Good on you YesTAM
Here is the link to the Radio 5 live phone in yesterday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/nolan.shtml
You need to fast forward to about 2 hours 9 minutes onwards for the relevant bit.

45 000 Gurkhas have died for this country.
150 000 Gurkhas have been seriously injured fighting for this country

Listening to this program, and it is well worth 40 minutes of your time i personally find it an emotional roller coaster. I don't know if i was crying whilst listening to it through sheer anger, or through sadness

Tigs2
26th May 2007, 15:27
I have emailed the whole saga to BBC News 24, so we wait and see.

In the mean time here is an extract from the Nepali Times who interviewed Mr Pun on what happened that day. These are his words.

Pun single handedly fought off dozens of Japanese defenders, even while the rest of his platoon was wiped out. This and other testimonies of living Gurkha soldiers are taken from Lahurey ka Katha by Dev Bahadur Thapa, published by Himal books, and translated for Nepali Times in this space every week.

"I was pulling out my gun again when our commanding officer, a short man, appeared and said, “Well done, Pun”. He asked if I was all right, and I replied that everything was not all right. I told him that there were quite a lot of enemies inside the trench.
He promised to send the flame-thrower, then vanished. On the lower side there was a British regiment which sent a flame-thrower. The flame even keeps burning on water, and if it falls on stone or iron it just turns them into soil. This weapon is best for trench warfare. The fire is so dangerous that if it falls on cloth or a piece of flesh, it just sticks to the skin.

Many enemies were roasted alive. Others fled through the passage that we had kept open. However, they didn’t get far. Most only took a few steps and then fell down. The enemy troops were wiped out and we entered the town.
There we saw that the enemy troops and our own men in hand-to-hand combat, making it impossible to fire powerful weapons. Some of the soldiers started firing, while others began fighting with their hands like people under the influence of alcohol and a few were buried under stones and bricks. A few were struck with sticks or rifle butts. There was a sense of the confusion one sees during a festival.

This was followed by the harsh sound of a whistle blown by their commander. They stopped fighting and ran away. A whole lot of soldiers who had been taking shelter in the town started escaping by jumping into the river. The water carried about half of them away, but the rest managed to reach the other side. For a while the whole river was covered with human bodies. The civilians had already abandoned the town, and following the flight of the enemy soldiers, we captured the town.

In the evening we had an assembly, when respective commanders discussed strategies for the next day and also assessed who had fought well and which tactics had worked. Reports were collected on who did best in that day’s capture of the town. Our platoon sergeant reported that except for two men, the rest of our platoon had been killed. He mentioned my name, and told them that I had done excellently during the siege of the bridge and also mentioned that I was the first to get into the enemy camp. The commander added that he was present at the time and had seen the event with his own eyes. A strong recommendation letter was written and dispatched to the war office.

On one day I had been assigned to bring the rations, which were carried by mules. When I arrived at the headquarters, a message had arrived from the war office. The clerk on duty took me aside and said, “Pun, one of the soldiers from your company has done an excellent job. I have collected the message. In all probability he will get a gallantry award.” He gave me the message and told me to give it to the company. I glanced at it, and saw my name on it.

The following day, the commander sent for me. I saluted him, and then he patted me on the back and told me he had received the reply to his letter. “Well done!” he said, “You will receive a gallantry award, but I can’t say right now what class of award it will be. Probably you will receive a very high order gallantry award.” At the time, I was an ordinary rifleman. He told me that I had been elevated to the rank of sergeant and asked me to collect soldiers and form a section.

Our assault on the town had taken place on 23 June, 1944. I was awarded the Victoria Cross for our assault on the town that day. Captain Elmond also got a Victoria Cross. A few months later, I received the gallantry award in Delhi from Lord Louis Mountbatten, who was the viceroy of India and the supreme commander of the allied forces in Asia at the time.

The day after the fighting, the camp was cleaned and an inquiry of how many were killed in the assault took place. The attack on the town had cost us the lives of 11 British officers, 17 Gurkha officers and 773 others below the rank of jamadar (Gurkha lieutenant). After this, we reassembled at Dehara Dun and then went home on a two-month paid leave."

So a man presented the VC by Lord Mountbatten Viceroy of India does not possess sufficiently strong ties with the UK to warrant our appreciation and assistance in his time of need.:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

waspy77
26th May 2007, 16:30
Sorry guys, no longer serving so don't usually post but an exceptional thread, after 5 hours I'm now calm enough to type.

"As I write these last words, my thoughts return to you who were my comrades, the stubborn and indomitable peasants of Nepal. Once more I hear the laughter with which you greeted every hardship. Once more I see you in your bivouacs or about your fires, on forced march or in the trenches, now shivering with wet and cold, now scorched by a pitiless and burning sun. Uncomplaining you endure hunger and thirst and wounds; and at the last your unwavering lines disappear into the smoke and wrath of battle. Bravest of the brave, most generous of the generous, never had country more faithful friends than you".
The words of Professor Sir Ralph Turner, MC, who served with the 3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles in the First World War.

These words appear on the contact page of the Gurkha Welfare Trust http://www.gwt.org.uk/contact.html

Chugalug2
26th May 2007, 16:32
HM and MP emailed and Petition signed. Let him in!

Ivor Fynn
26th May 2007, 18:06
If there are any journo's out there who can publicise this, I think we would all appreciate it - Sky, BBc and all papers where are you now!!!

Ivor

- V unlike me to ask journo's for help, but I think the sentiment here warrants it

OOpsIdiditagain
26th May 2007, 18:56
Is there a Downing St petition yet? I couldn't find it. Have e-mailed various and pointed a journo mate of mine who worked on the recent Abandoned soldier program to this thread.

waspy77
26th May 2007, 19:18
Oops,

This petition asks for Gurkhas in general to be granted British Citizenship

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

Tigs2
26th May 2007, 19:20
YES YES YES!!!
BBC 24 are going to run an article starting about 2030 :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok: 10 mins time!!!
Well done everybody, keep the pressure up. I think there could be a result very soon now.

Edited for update. Just seen the article, the anchor man seemed genuinely unable to comprehend how the civil service could have refused Mr Pun VC entry. The home office and Bliar cannot ignore this now.

A Sayers
26th May 2007, 20:23
I am truely ashamed of what we appear to have become. I hope this becomes "sticky" and a suitable fund is set up.

Maple 01
26th May 2007, 21:03
well if it don't I'll be bumping it 'till Friday

shandyman
26th May 2007, 21:48
Most definately back to the top. Furious at those that would allow this man to be turned away in his hour of need after he had offered everything to this country, in its hour of need.

Chugalug2
26th May 2007, 21:57
well if it don't I'll be bumping it 'till Friday

And me, to which point how about Gurkha stories of which there are countless numbers?
When a cadet we had an Army instructor who had the honour to be attached to the Gurkhas in WW2. He led a patrol in Burma. Every evening they would stop, set up the radio and he would listen in for the latest Sitreps. He would brief his men on where the Japs were now thought to be and plan an attack. He said that they would then dig a trench, tie him up and place him in it. His orders would be carried out to the letter, the Jap position taken and consolidated. A runner would then be sent back to release the Sahib so that he could rejoin them. Their logic for all this was that the radio told them what they needed to know to kill Japs, but only the Sahib could understand it, so he had to be kept alive at all costs!
OK maybe he was spinning a yarn, but like all such stories about these excellent troops, one based on fond respect for their bravery and loyalty. :ok:
Let him in!

Tigs2
26th May 2007, 22:30
Chugalug
Just two stories both of Gurkhas awarded the VC, both still alive. They are from the same family! Of the 13 recipients of the VC still alive, 4 are Gurkhas

Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung

He was 27 years old, and a Rifleman in the 4th Battalion of The 8th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army during the Second World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.
On 12 May-13 May 1945 at Taungdaw, Burma (now Myanmar), Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung was manning the most forward post of his platoon which bore the brunt of an attack by at least 200 of the enemy. Twice he hurled back grenades which had fallen on his trench, but the third exploded in his right hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded, but the rifleman, now alone and disregarding his wounds, loaded and fired his rifle with his left hand for four hours, calmly waiting for each attack which he met with fire at point blank range.

Rifleman Bhanbhagta Gurung

He was about 24 years old, and a Rifleman in the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Gurkha Rifles, British Indian Army during the Second World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.
On 5 March 1945 at Snowdon East, near Tamandu, Burma (now Myanmar), a section was pinned down by heavy enemy fire and was also being subjected to sniping from a tree. Rifleman Bhanbhagta Gurung killed the sniper and later when the section was again attacked, he dashed forward under continuous fire personally clearing four enemy foxholes and he also silenced a light machine-gun. With the help of a Bren gunner and two riflemen he then repelled an enemy counter-attack on the captured bunker with heavy losses. His action in clearing these positions was decisive in capturing the objective.

We are not worthy!!

Ewan Whosearmy
26th May 2007, 22:44
Is it me, or is it also pretty damning that of almost 5.000 hits for this thread at the time of posting, that only c.30 people have been arsed to post their support for this man here?

I appreciate that there are many who probably feel unable to do so (be it because they are not british citizens or whatever), but there are regular posters on PPruNe who have still not lent their voice to this matter, and who are blatantly Brits.

So, come on. Speak up!

dum_my
26th May 2007, 22:56
Perhaps the bureaucrats behind this decision need to be reminded that a VC comes before all other British orders, decorations and medals.

Including any gongs that the PM may hand out.

http://www.honours.gov.uk/honours/wear.aspx

dum_my
26th May 2007, 23:10
Sunday Times, 27 May, Rod Liddle's column:
May 27, 2007
A rape conviction is better than a VC if you want to stay in Britain
Rod Liddle

Here’s a quiz. Not a very good quiz because you will know the answer before you’ve finished reading the question. Whether you can comprehend it is another matter. An awful lot of immigrants are allowed into Britain these days and very few deported because they are undesirable. However, as a nation we must draw the line somewhere. So, using your understanding of How Britain Is, estimate which of the following four aspirant British citizens has been told to get out and stay out. And which three can stay?

1) Mouloud Sihali, Algerian. Lived at Finsbury Park mosque, breeding ground of Islamic terrorism. Described in court as “unprincipled and dishonest”. Illegal immigrant.

2) Yonis Dirie, Somalian. Drug addict, armed robber and burglar. Convicted of raping a young woman in London. Illegal immigrant.

3) Tul Bahadur Pun VC, Nepalese. Won the Victoria Cross for taking out a Japanese machinegun post in 1944 in Burma single-handedly. Now 84, of unblemished conduct, suffering from heart problems and diabetes and would like treatment here. Legal applicant.

4) “AS”, Libyan. Islamic extremist involved with Milan terrorist group. Court accepts that he is likely to try to kill us all again quite soon. Illegal immigrant.

You got it, didn’t you? Old Pun’s application was rejected because - and here’s another punchline, in case the first wasn’t funny enough - he “failed to demonstrate” that he had “strong ties with Britain”. How much stronger do you want? There can be hardly a soul who wouldn’t be happy to have Pun here. And not one who could make a case for allowing Dirie, the robber-rapist, say, to get preferential treatment. Some of us would have happily dispatched him back to Mogadishu strapped to a missile.

There is no great objection to immigration in this country; the objection is to how it is done and who benefits, exemplified by the cases I quote above.

I suspect the public feels there are people who should be allowed in - people to whom we owe a profound debt of gratitude (like Pun), or those whose countries we have let down in one way or another (such as the Hong Kong Chinese or the black Zimbabweans). And yet it seems we do precisely the opposite.

Libyan and Algerian extremists who feel the regimes in their home countries are not sufficiently rigorous are allowed to stay because we worry they might be bumped off at home - regardless of what threat they pose to us.

I would vote for any party that pledged to extricate us from the international legislation that insists on such absurdities.

By then, however, it will most likely be too late for Tul Bahadur Pun VC. The Japs couldn’t kill him - but we’re not making a bad job of it.

oldfella
26th May 2007, 23:20
The treatment of this man, the holder of the highest honour in our land, leaves me speachless and ashamed.

There are only twelve living holders of this honour, 6 British, 4 Gurkhas and 2 Australian. http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/aalivevc.htm

Regardless of the arguments over pay / pensions he deserves entry to this country and should be treated and respected.

YesTAM
27th May 2007, 02:28
Just bumping this to the top of the list. I'm going to contact the Australian Returned Servicemans League tomorrow and see if I can get a comment and a press release from them. If Sgt. Pun VC can't come to Britain, maybe we can invite him down here.

By the way, I assume we have Hercs going in and out of Afghanistan. How much of a diversion would be needed to pick him up?

Robert Cooper
27th May 2007, 02:41
I'm still sending emails everyone I can. Keep the pressure up chaps. Maybe we can make a difference on this one.

Bob C

A Sayers
27th May 2007, 05:39
To keep this bounced near the top (sticky please moderators), we have been calling Mr Pun a Pte and a Sgt. His correct rank according to the VC site is Warrant Officer First Class.
As a JO I remember trying to snatch 15 minutes sleep each hour in a waterlogged trench shared with three others. We kept rotating our positions under the overhead cover to prevent trench foot as we were immersed below the waist. A Gurkha patrol came in, every bit as soaked as us. I never saw bigger smiles and more enthusiasm for the job from anyone. They lifted my spirits just to know they were on our side. As for their curries.... Wow!

Thinking of some of the antics of my jocks. I never saw a Ghurkha who was not a credit to his unit. For fitness, turn out and elan they were/are the best line infantry. Off duty their young soldiers are more likely to be seen in a suit than scruffs. What excellent future UK citizens, but no. We clearly need more terrorists et al.

polyglory
27th May 2007, 05:50
Truly disgusting, petition signed and snail mail on the way.

I seved with them in Malaysia, none finer anywhere.

wardie
27th May 2007, 06:42
I cannot believe that this hero has been insulted in this manner!!

Britain called upon these young men and they gave their all and more WITHOUT asking for much if anything at all. This in my eyes should elevate them above any other in the queue for access to citizenship of the UK.

It's a damn disgrace that a country that used to spout its heitage is now trying to ignore it.

Wardie

ScotsmanCalledPaddy
27th May 2007, 08:19
Gobsmacked. Absolutely feckin gobsmacked.

Petition signed and email sent.

Chugalug2
27th May 2007, 09:21
Boiiiiing! More emails, more petitions, more posts, more comments please everyone! Keep this pot boiling.
The Gurkhas were our secret weapon in Borneo. The Brits, Malays and Singaporeans would get varying degrees of Indonesian incursions into their sectors, the Gurkhas wouldn't. We would fly them down for a tour from their Hong Kong depot, returning with those that they were replacing. I remember how outbound they were all smiles and animation, and inbound downcast and quiet. I commented on this to one of their officers, saying that it was obviously a tiring experience for them. "Oh, that's not it", he replied,"those going out are keen to do what they are trained for and like best, those coming back have only depot routine to look forward to!".
We have never been served by more loyal or brave men.
LET HIM IN!

ScotsmanCalledPaddy
27th May 2007, 10:11
Another email sent...

http://www.vchero.co.uk/

ZH875
27th May 2007, 10:57
Email sent.

Tul Bahadur Pun VC, I salute you.

Thank you for all you have done, and may this government grovel at your feet after you have been granted access.

flower
27th May 2007, 11:34
I have emailed my MP and signed the petition.

If this does one good thing though it may bring to the public eye the appalling way in which Gurkha's, a strong resourceful brave group of men, are treated as second hand citizens within the British Armed forces. Anyone who has ever served alongside them (they helped train me during my RMAS days and boy do they love to act and do dramatic deaths for you) consider it an honour. If this helps highlight their cause and allows them equal rights within the British Army then it will be a good day.

Garfs
27th May 2007, 11:46
After having just Mr PUN VC's account of what happened that day, I find it o be the most humble account of such a heroic feat.

Not once did he big himself up or try to make himself look good.

A True hero in my eyes

om15
27th May 2007, 12:26
e mail sent to HM Office.
Best regards om15

Roadster280
27th May 2007, 12:32
I can only echo the sentiments of all.

I wish I could give him my British passport. I won't be needing it. I'd have died for it, and all it stood for when I was serving. Sadly, it no longer stands for what I got all stirred up about and joined the mob.

Absolutely disgraceful. Whatever pen pushing irreverent turd made this decision needs to walk a few miles in WO1 Pun's boots.

larssnowpharter
27th May 2007, 12:52
Reading this thread has bought tears of shame to my eyes.

It totally beggars belief that some pen pusher in a Ministry somewhere has seen fit to deny this gentleman entry to the UK. I have served with the Gurkhas and, indeed, been treated by a Gurkha medic on one occasion. Great soldiers, proud men and a credit to their Nation.

Letter sent to HM and PM requesting that he:

1. Be allowed entry
2. That he be treated at the taxpayers expense
3. That he receive an official apology for the callous way in which he has been treated.

Chugalug2
27th May 2007, 13:26
Mr Pun should have automatic right of abode here because he is a VC, and at least as much right of abode here, having served in the Indian Army, as anyone else who thus served. Any ex British Army Gurkhas should have an automatic right of abode here and a full British Army Pension. After the wretch who turned him down is obliged to "reconsider" that decision, the British Government can reconsider our moral obligations to these faithful and courageous servants of the Crown and invite them to come and live with us if they so wish. I for one will be there to greet them when they arrive!
More recollections of Borneo from over forty years ago; a fellow pilot was detached from 48Sqn to the Whirlwinds in Borneo, as ALO. All went well until it came time to insert the Gurkhas into their patrol areas. Pilots complained that their aircraft were clearly overloaded as they were struggling to clear the forest canopy around the landing site. Our man retorted that all the W&B was done as with previous troops at standard operational troop weight. "Well then, go for actual weights", he was told. From somewhere he obtained a "butchers balance" with a hook above and below the dial. He hung the balance on a tree, and then hung an obliging Gurkha by his webbing to the balance. As may be expected the reading was well below standard. He removed the Gurkha and, with some help, replaced him with his equipment and pack. The bough groaned alarmingly, the needle quivering in uncharted areas of the dial! After prolonged negotiations the Gurkhas reluctantly dispensed with the some of the veritable arsenal they were prepared to shoulder for the next two weeks trek!
Let him in!

Hoobie Schnaps
27th May 2007, 13:33
E-Mailed my MP and Lord Bramall. Sadly Whit recess at the moment so not sure when they will pick up the note. Hopefully soon.

Molesworth
27th May 2007, 14:28
Agree with all said before. Petition signed, e-mail to MP en-route. If you want to see some depth of feeling have a look on the Army Rumour Network www.arrse.co.uk They are giving it huge support. This whole sorry episode speaks volumes about this shambles of a government. :ugh::mad:
M

Hoobie Schnaps
27th May 2007, 15:10
Just emailed Boris Johnson. As a journalist in his own right (and someone who appears to have a sane view on many of the issues out there) I hope that he will look on this with a positive attitude.

Tigs2
27th May 2007, 15:23
:mad::mad:

This is from ARRSE some one found this article from the Sun (yes i know you can't believe everything in the rag but this seems pukka)

Gurkha war hero's agony

By TOM NEWTON DUNN
Defence Editor

MUSEUM chiefs have broken a Gurkha war hero’s heart by refusing to let him see his treasured Victoria Cross one final time.

Fearless Lieutenant Tulbahadur Pun, 89, won the nation’s top medal for bravery during World War II.

Aged just 21, he single-handedly stormed two Japanese armed positions with his Bren Gun blazing from his hip after his comrades were wiped out in Burma.

Now the ageing hero — who lives in poverty in Nepal — has begged his old Army regiment’s museum to send him his medal so he can wear it with pride before he dies.

But museum bosses have refused, saying the VC no longer belongs to him.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tulbahadur — one of only 12 winners of the VC still alive — is too unwell to travel to the UK.

He said he handed over the medal to the Gurkha Museum in Winchester, Hants, for safekeeping in the ’70s on officers’ advice.

He told The Sun: “Until 1995, I used to go to the UK and wear my Victoria Cross. Now I would like to wear it again before I leave the Earth — I can’t understand why they won’t let me.”

The grandfather of 15 is forced to spend all his VC pension on medicines for his heart problems.

London barrister Rebekah Wilson, who is representing him, said: “The medal is something he cherishes. Time is not on his side and I think it would be shameful if he did not get to see his medal again.”

But Gurkha Museum curator Gerald Davies said: “Tulbahadur Pun’s medal has been donated to the museum by his regimental association.

“We have a duty of care to ensure this medal is available to the public to see and it is secure.”

The citation for Tulbahadur’s VC praises his “outstanding courage and superb gallantry” in capturing the Japanese machine-gun posts and killing three enemies.

Full story

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006320627,00.html

IT IS HIS BLOODY VC!! Next people to mail--- The curator of The Gurkha Museum in Winchester.

Someone call me an ambulance please. My blood has turned to gas:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Can any of the boys from 22 arrange to return the VC to its rightful owner.? They got our Tiger back from the 'Swift bar' in Aldergrove, and i think the security there was much better than at this museum:ok:

forget
27th May 2007, 15:31
Here, save you the trouble
[email protected]

Krystal n chips
27th May 2007, 15:44
See below for media support. :ok:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/rod_liddle/article1845263.ece

By a remarkable coincidence,this Sat BBC2 has a repeat of Jeremy Clarkson's excellent prog on VC winners. Whilst ( regretably ) it will not be possible for those who made this decision to be made to sit down and view the prog, maybe they should be "advised" to do so and then have a simple Qand A session to follow.....something along the lines of "now do you understand what the award means and why that congealed lump of gristle between your ears purporting to be brain is clearly unfit for purpose? " should suffice.

Out Of Trim
27th May 2007, 15:51
Petition Signed

I Welcome all Gurkhas into the UK. They deserve it!

228 OCU
27th May 2007, 16:00
Is there a dedicated petition up yet?

I can't tell you how this disgraceful episode makes me feel; but if you have ever seen the T-shirt "When all else fails, vote from the rooftops" you'll have an idea!
:mad::mad::mad:

If in doubt BANG OUT.

Chugalug2
27th May 2007, 16:18
Boiiiing! The oaf who caused all this outrage has perhaps done us, and the Gurkhas, a favour. Never ones to plead their own case, it takes a cause celebre such as WO1 Pun's to realise the shabby way in which the Gurkhas have been treated over the years by this nation. In my book if they are good enough to fight, and often to die for it, they are good enough to live in it! Aye, and on a full pension to!
Further Borneo tales: said chum who was ALO pleaded with his Gurkha oppo Captain/Subeder to let him accompany them on a patrol. Great reluctance only overcome by reminding him of embarrassment of "overload" incident if it ever emerged, i.e. blackmail. Resulting agreement heavily hedged with conditions, principal one of which that he would have a Corporal/Naik minder for the entire patrol, who would stay with him and was to be obeyed without question. For the ensuing fortnight he was accompanied throughout by the same guy who was never more than two paces away, even for calls of nature!
LET HIM IN!

Dan Reno
27th May 2007, 17:33
If he could get to Mexico and swim the Rio or Canada and walk South, we'd be proud to help him! Hell, I'll drive up to Canada and bring him back accross!

F3Dentist
27th May 2007, 17:51
I have never posted before, but this thread has enraged me to such a pitch that I must say something.

I can only offer a more recent example of working with Ghurkas. I came back from a tour in the Falklands last year, and while I was there i spent a week on 'facility improvement duty' with a group of Ghurkas. After a hard day lugging stuff about, digging, etc; i'd go home and lie down shattered, and they'd go to the gym to 'keep fit' (their words)! I have never met such a hard-working, devoted and cheerful bunch of chaps. They even put the loyalty and behaviour of our own servicemen to shame at times (not said easily).

The situation concerning WO Pun is unforgiveable. As for not sending him his own VC, surely the wishes of the original recipient outweigh the historical significance suggested by the museum. It sounds blunt, but surely they'll have it for years after he's gone. I hope the Museum is ashamed of its narrow-minded comments.

It goes without saying that e-mails are enroute, and the general petition is signed.

I would like to thank all the previous posters for bringing this to our attention.

A Sayers
27th May 2007, 19:01
Posted to museum curator:
Sir
If what I read in the papers is correct, that you are refusing Mr Pun the opportunity to again wear his medal then you are of the same ilk as the individual who has refused him residency in this country. It would be within the realms of your ability to facilitate this great mans wish, especialy at a time when the government of the nation he served appears to have turned its back on him. In your shoes I would pay for him to be flown to the most convenient battalion, where he could take the salute at a formal parade wearing his medal. If this was in the UK I would join the long queue to buy him a drink and shake his hand.
If the story is true, I regret that the Regimental museum does not uphold the standards of sacrifice and integrity Mr Pun and his comrades display.
If the story is untrue please accept my most profound appology. I have never been so incensed as I am about Mr Pun's treatment which excedes the shoddy treatment of the veterans of the Brigade as a whole.
Yours aye
Andrew Sayers
Major BW (rtd) and formerly Pte

IntheTin
27th May 2007, 19:09
Well done to Sycamore for bringing this to our attention over at the 'Rotorheads' forum.
Thank you so much. I have signed the petition and hope that something positive will come of all your efforts. :D

FloaterNorthWest
27th May 2007, 19:45
This just highlights the state our country is in!

I intend to highlight this case to my Boss (a Lord and employer of Gurkhas) in the hope that he can rattle some cages.

I also intend to print it out and gve it to the Pole I had an argument with yesterday over her right to live in the UK and her right to all the benefits that go with it.

I am outraged!!!!

FNW

TeeS
27th May 2007, 19:56
General petition signed, is there a specific one yet? I can't find one.

TeeS

O27PMR
27th May 2007, 20:10
I have just signed the petition...:ok:

FloaterNorthWest
27th May 2007, 20:12
This is the man everyone should be emailing. I see that like most of the government he has neither military service nor had a proper job. Once I calm done I will be sending Mr Byrne an email.

[email protected] :mad:
Liam Byrne - minister for immigration and asylum
Liam Byrne MP is Minister of State for immigration and asylum.

Responsibilities
Liam Byrne MP is responsible for:

immigration
asylum
nationality, naturalisation and citizenship
e-borders
ID cards
departmental reform
He is also the Ministerial Adviser on management issues.

Biography
Liam Byrne previously spent a year as Under-Secretary of State for Care Services at the Department of Health.

Liam Byrne joined the Labour Party when he was 15 and was elected to the seat of Birmingham Hodge Hill in the by-election in July 2004. He lives in Birmingham with his wife Sarah and three children.

Liam was educated at Manchester University where he graduated with first class honours and was elected leader of the Student’s Union, and Harvard Business School where he was a Fulbright Scholar. He advised the Labour Party on general election organisation between 1996-7 before managing Labour’s national business campaign.

Liam began his career at Andersen Consulting and worked for NM Rothschilds before starting a venture-backed technology company in 2000. Liam is the author of Local Government Transformed (1996); Information Age Government (1998); New Strategies for Full Employment (2001); and Britain in 2020 (forethought, 2003). He was also co-editor of Reinventing Government Again (2004).

Liam is a member of Amicus, the Christian Socialist Movement, the Fabian Society and was formerly an Associate Fellow of the Social Market Foundation.

MrFlibble
27th May 2007, 20:47
Im incensed - something like this makes me ashamed to be British. Petition signed.

In terms of MPs to contact, what about that Veterans minister that was involved in the Veterans Statue programme last week? Maybe we could contact him too.

Pilot Pacifier
27th May 2007, 21:37
I have never been so disgusted with a member of this country who is supposed to represent the interests of the British public. Mr Byrne and co have probably never been, like most of us here, in the kind of dreadful situations that WO Pun and his fellow countrymen must have found themselves in. If it wasn't for his and the bravery of many others, Mr Byrne would probably speaking a different language right now.

WO Pun and all his fellow countrymen, in agreeing to serve this country should have every right to be a British citizen and all the benefits that it brings.

Not to allow him in because he "failed to demonstrate strong ties with the UK" is just unbelievable. I'm just speechless, he couldn't have possibly shown any more. Putting yourself in a position where so many gave the ultimate sacrifice, well, you couldn't show more commitment if you tried.

It is not often that I find myself embarrassed to say that I'm British. If I was to ever meet WO Pun, then I don't think that I could look him in the eye knowing how much this country has let him down...

And as for the curator of the museum, shame on you sir...

Petition signed, e-mails on their way...

GreenKnight121
27th May 2007, 22:04
"Liam is a member of Amicus, the Christian Socialist Movement, the Fabian Society and was formerly an Associate Fellow of the Social Market Foundation."

A F*&king Socialist, of course!!!

If he had his way all service-personnel would be deported as undesirables.

Expect no help from him... in fact, expect him to file a complaint against you.

JessTheDog
27th May 2007, 22:20
General petition signed, is there a specific one yet? I can't find one.

There will be this week, hopefully, Downing Street permitting. It is important to focus on Mr Pun's situation as his age means that the issue of Gurkha rights in general is sadly likely to outlast him. A campaign "surge" needs to put the pressure on right now, with specific reference to Mr Pun - as a Gurkha and holder of the VC -in order to force the government into immediate action.

I don't particularly care for the ministers we have, but we need them to work with us on this one.

Chugalug2
27th May 2007, 22:41
Boiiing and thank you FNW, a friendly word of advice dispatched to dear Liam!
The various citations on this thread, including that of Rifleman Pun, VC, dwell rightly on the supreme courage of those Gurkhas. But there is another side that is also important to remember, and that is of their wonderful generosity and hospitality. Which leads me to my next tale!
A couple of years ago, Mrs C and I headed back down the M4 to the Cotswolds to attend a wedding. Having a little time in hand we made a slight diversion to an ex RAF base now occupied by the Army. We parked outside a house(MQ) that had been our first home, and made to take a photo or two before going on our way. The front door opened and a man came out asking if he could be of help. I realised at once that he was a Gurkha Officer, despite him being in civvies. We made our apologies, but explained that his home had been our home over 32 years previously. He immediately invited us inside. We demurred for it was 9 o'clock in the morning! He insisted, his wife appeared, she insisted, so we were ushered inside to an immaculate home that would have passed any AOC inspection, as though they had known of our visit for weeks! The house itself of course was at once familiar and different as any place not seen for so many years. We reluctantly had to leave as time was now short so exchanged details, and receive and send Christmas(!) cards to this day. Wonderful warm friendly people, but be very very glad that they are on our side! :D
Let him in!

JessTheDog
27th May 2007, 22:51
23 June is the anniversary of Mr Pun's heroic action.
The Gurkha memorial is located between Embankment and Horse Guards.
Some sort of vigil or commemoration would be appropriate on this particular Saturday, watch this space: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=66783/start=405.html

Robert Cooper
28th May 2007, 01:18
you may be interested to read what Mr. Pun's solicitor posted recently:

They didn't even give him an interview. We gave them a booklet about his herosim and full detials of his VC. They even had his army service book, which his CO described him on discharge as having an "exemplary" record and that "his gallantry speaks for itself". Can I be honest, I suspect they didn't even read his application and supporting statement properly. They got a full list of his illnesses. It just sticks of a rubber-stamping job. I don't personally blame any individual, as the Government has to take the can on this one.

We intend making direct representations to Liam Byrne, the Immigration Minister, so that it hits his office first thing Tuesday. HRH Prince of Wales (President of the VC & GC Assoc) received a couriered letter on this on Friday.

Listen there are many Services forums out there. I've been trying to follow them all, but it's difficult to catch everything. I just tried to join RAOConLine, but it takes time for your sign-up to be approved. So if you are members of other forums, can you please tell them my firm and my client really appreciates what is being done and what is being said in support of him. It restores my faith in this country. Maybe you can post these thanks on other forums and also tell them to tell their friends about this snub to the Gurkhas and about www.vchero.co.uk . I would be grateful if you could thank the RAF and Royal Navy, as well as all the Army forums for the help to my client. Honestly, your emails will shake the Immigration Judge and the Government.

Thanks.

Kieran O'Rourke
Howe & Co Solicitors
Ealing, London

Petition already signed and more emails going out. Keep revs up.

Bob C

Tigs2
28th May 2007, 03:57
Bob C
Thanks for your support mate. As much as we like yank bashing we only do it when we are bored:) The support of you and your collegues at this difficult time in our military history is appreciated. Rest assured as much as we think that G Dubya (and Tony Bliar) is an asshole, when it comes to you guys on the ground (or in the air/sea) we are with you 100% of the way.
A message sent to the said Mr O'Rourke

Mr Kieran O'Rourke

Thank you my friend for your kind support on what is a moment of disgrace in our military history. I would be grateful if you could enquire/register (the intent) if we the people of PPRuNE and AARSE can assemble together as a body on the 23rd June at the Gurkha memorial in London (Does this have to be a formal request or just a notification to the City Of Westminster Police) for the purpose of illustrating our condemnation of not only this decision, but also the adverse treatment of the Gurkha community in general.
I live in central London and am willing to help in any organisational capacity whatsoever. We have enough support now in the Mil community to make this an overwhelming winner.
Call me a Cynic, but i feel that PM Bliar has been waiting (ney baiting) this one, so that he can go out on a high with the population. If that is the case i do not give two hoots(whatever that means:) ) all i care about is exploiting this whole situation to ensure that Mr Pun VC and all of his erstwhile collegues in the Gurkha regiments recieve rightful access to the United Kingdom and its care and services.
Yours Thankfully
Tigs
(Have flown the Gurkhas on many occasions and they, like our boys, are top notch)

50+Ray
28th May 2007, 05:07
Petition signed. E mail sent to curator expressing my profound opinion of him. Blood boiling. What a bloody disgrace.

YesTAM
28th May 2007, 06:33
Email sent to Australian Returned Servicemens Association. I've suggested we try pressuring the Australian Government to invite WO1 Pun to Australia, after all, it is an election year..

luoto
28th May 2007, 06:34
Ref support. I posted on ARRSE my views and would rather not kill Mr Fyne's server here with a "me too" message until I have more substance to write. Plus, maybe it is better for people to get writing instead.

Old Ned
28th May 2007, 08:17
I fully agree. Watch Bliar make capital out of letting this very gallant gentlemen come to the UK just before the ex-PM and his dismal family leave to spread rhubarb around the US on lecture tours. Oh what an appalling government we have, and Broon will be no better. Let us keep up the momentum and do not forget the newspapers. If the Sun (:mad:) was on our side Bliar and Co could not refuse.

This elderly hero simply MUST be allowed to spend his last years in relative comfort not least because he doubtless walked for days to attend the selection board in Nepal to join the regiment in the first place and his valour on behalf of a small country that was not his own. HM has at least 2 Gurkha orderlies who are on duty during investitures, and she doubless takes a dim view of the whole sorry mess.

Your Majesty, if you access PPrune, please inform Bliar that you are not amused!!

Old Ned
28th May 2007, 08:35
With Humble Duty.

Your Majesty,

I beg to inform you of my disgust at the decision by your government to refuse the entry into this country of Rifleman Tullbahadur Pun VC, late of the 6th Gurkha Rifles. His Late Majesty King George VI would doubtless be appalled at the insensitivity of Your Majesty's goverment's action.

May I respectfully request that Your Majesty informs the Prime Minister of the strength of feeling among Your Majesty's loyal subjects.

uncle peter
28th May 2007, 09:52
Google search brought up this article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_headline=army-took-my-vc-for--500%26method=full%26objectid=19208864%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

If indeed the VC was taken for "safe keeping", even at the mere hint of impropriety the MoD should return the VC.

This Govt has increasingly proven itself to be morally bankrupt. I am personally in favour of an out and out return to blame culture so we can villify the halfwit that made this outrageous decision.

More publicity needed. Thoroughly ashamed :sad:

soggyboxers
28th May 2007, 10:39
I'm sorry to say that I only came upon this disgraceful story today. I was born in this country and served in the Royal Marines, but in my view this brave old man has closer ties with Britain than I do - after all, he was prepared to sacrifice his life in the war. If he, and men like him, had not been prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, I would probably not be speaking English today.

e.e. cummings had it right:

A politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man.
e. e. cummings

I have signed the petition and sent an e-mail to the Queen. I hope that justice is done he is allowed to come to this country - it should be his right, not something for which he has to beg and be denied by some petty official who is not even worthy to lick his feet :mad::mad::mad:

forget
28th May 2007, 10:58
I may have missed it but has this man been asked for his position on this - if he even knows about it. Direct link for his e-mail here -

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029395231&a=KOverseasMission&aid=1013618507205

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/Untitled-1-4.jpg

SmilingKnifed
28th May 2007, 11:06
This would seem an appropriate moment to highlight the efforts of http://www.gwt.org.uk/

I think a gathering of serving and retired personnel on the 23rd is a sterling idea.:ok:

Trinity 09L
28th May 2007, 18:16
Email sent to all those that are able to criticise & shame this feeble govt.:ugh:

Tigs2
28th May 2007, 18:24
I have been speaking with Mr Pun VC solicitors several times today. The great news is that this morning, the solicitors, via a couple of Gurkhas in their office were talking to Mr Pun VC. He has been told of all of the support that has been displayed on PPRuNe and ARRSE. The words were that he is overwhelmed and his spirits have been raised beyond belief. He has been sent a copy of every single post on the two forums, and said that the papers "will be put up on his wall in pride of place".

Lads and lassies be proud of yourselves. This will get a result and in the meantime, please be aware that in Nepal right now, we have all made an old man, and hero of THIS nation a very very happy man indeed. Well done.

Below is a great piece of work by one of the guys on ARRSE who has gathered info on who has been contacted about this situation.

People Power in action I just LOVE IT:ok::ok:

Quote::

Lead:

Senior Partner, Martin Howe - Howe & Co.
Kieran O'Rourke - Howe & Co Solicitors email: k.orourke @ howe.co.uk

Discussion Forums:

PPRuNe
Rum Ration
Rear Party
RAF Trade website,RAF Armourers: www.bombheadsworld.co.uk/
E-Goat
www.bombheadsworld.co....&t=164
MoD Oracle Forums
Channel Four News Forum

Facebook profile:

www.facebook.com/group...2367521962
!! If your kids use MySpace, Facebook - now is the perfect time to see the power of kids on the internet !!

Link to thread page with PsyWar.Org's Poster to print and display:

www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/...t=375.html

British Armed Forces Federation (BAFF)

Media Articles or websites:

Gurkha Petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

Emails to judge hearing appeal:

www.vchero.co.uk/

www.chindits.info/Awards/VCPun.html

www.thegurkhamuseum.co...act_us.cfm

www.brigadeofgurkhas.co.uk/

www.dailymail.co.uk/pa...ge_id=1811

www.dailyindia.com/sho...urkha-hero

www.mailonsunday.co.uk...1&ct=5

www.timesonline.co.uk/...845263.ece

www.thesun.co.uk/artic...27,00.html

www.thisislondon.co.uk...e+has+no+s

trong+ties+with+UK'/article.do

BBC News 24 - news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4995300.stm

Radio 5 Live phone in Saturday 26 May - evening - Stephen Nolan. www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive...olan.shtml

Jon Gaunt from Talksport has got the story on his website:

www2.talksport.net/pre..._id=100050

Forces Organisations:

Veterans Agency

Public Figures:

The office of HM Queen Elizabeth II
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II

email address: www.royal.gov.uk/outpu...e4835.asp#

HRH The Prince of Wales

The Viscount Slim

Dr Andrew Hall OBE, HM Ambassador, British Embassy Kathmandu email: britemb @ wlink.com.np

Richard Beeson

MP's contacted (with responses):

www.theyworkforyou.com/

MP for Aberdeen
Michael Howard
Lady Hermon MLA
Steven Webb, the MP for Northavon
Fiona Mactaggart
Julian Brazier MP
Paul Flynn, Labour chappie for Newport West
Norman Lamb MP Sheepshagging North or where ever the hell I am
Iris Robinson
Rev Ian Paisley
Francis Maude MP
Micheal Fabricant
Humfrey Malins MP
Greg Clark (Con)
Andrew Rosindale
Mark Field MP
reg empey (uup)
peter robinson (dup)
Jeremy Hunt MP
John Maples (Conservative)
Bill Olner (Labour)
MP Michael Ancram (hard copy letter)
Gerald Howarth MP (Conservative MP Aldershot) ack 15 mins later.
Linda Gilroy - MP for Sutton, Plymouth?
Celia Barlow MP for Hove (Lab)
James Duddridge - Tory MP for Rochford and Southend East
MP for Salisbury, Robert Key
Siobhan McDonagh MP for Mitcham & Morden
Steven Webb MP
Fiona Mactaggart (Lab)
George Galloway
Alan Ried MP
john reid
David Ammes MP
Tom Watson MP
Russell Brown MP
Derek Twigg MP
Menzies Campbell
Anthony Blair PM
Jeffrey M Donaldson MP DUP for Lagan Valley
Charlie Kennady
Sarah Mccarthy-Fry MP Portsmouth North
Pete Wishart MP
Martin Salter MP for Reading West
Mark Field MP
Jim Fitzpatrick MP - Ack by email.
Ben Bradshaw (Lab)
Alan Duncan MP
Alasdair McDonnell, Belfast South (SDLP)
David Wright (Lab)
Tony Cunningham MP (Lab)
David Cameron MP
Boris Johnson MP
Gavin Strang MP
Heyes ?
Paul Burstow MP
Alex Salmond, First Minister
Annabel Goldie
Sir George Young MP (ack by email)
Lembit Öpik
Angus Macneil MP (replied in mins)
Mark Lancaster TD MP (replied 01:30 - top man)!
Nick Harvey MP
Bob Russell MP
Willie Rennie MP

Media Out:

www.mediauk.com/

- TV

BBC News 24
Sky News
ITV News
C4 News
ITN newsdesk
BFBS NI
Scottish TV News

- Radio

Christian O'Connell of Virgin Radio
Jeremy Vine @ Radio 2
Neil Pringle at BBC Radio Southern Counties Sussex Breakshow
Radio Ulster
96.4 The Eagle - Guildford
SGR FM
Town 102 FM
Radio Devon

- Newspaper

Mick Smith of the Times
Audrey Gillan (Guardian)
Aberdeen Press and Journal

- Internet

"Suggest a Story" link on the BBC News website
www.craigmurray.co.uk/

Home Office email:

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact-us

BEagle
28th May 2007, 18:27
Perhaps an e-mail to [email protected] ([email protected]) copied to [email protected] ([email protected]) and forwarded to http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3776.asp (http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3776.asp) might be appropriate?

Brian Dixon
28th May 2007, 18:40
Tigs,
I've sent e-mails to the following:
The Office of HM the Queen
James Arbuthnot MP
Sir George Young MP (reply received by e-mail).
Lord O'Neill of Clackmannan
Liam Byrne MP

Downing Street petition also signed by all the family.

There's also another thread on a non-military bulletin board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,235056.0.html

Good luck with everything and unreserved respect to Mr Tul Bahadur Pun VC

Brian :ok:

Tigs2
28th May 2007, 19:07
Brian
Fantastic Thanks!
How did the reply from Sir George Young read??

Gweedo
28th May 2007, 19:52
Petition Signed, Letter sent to the Queen

matty31
28th May 2007, 20:17
Petition signed also sent an email to Lord Ashdown as I know he has had a fair bit to do with the Gurkhas in the past.

Cheers

Matt

Archimedes
28th May 2007, 20:44
Now I've sorted out a computer glitch, letter to Tony Baldry to be composed.

William Hague and Liam Fox can have a letter/e-mail each while I'm about it too.

Anyone here live in the constituencies these chaps represent, so that they can each get a 'concerned constituent' type approach in addition to 'letter from random voter'?

JOE-FBS
28th May 2007, 21:54
I am not aircrew or even military (failed OASC to be a Engineer in 1983!) but as the gentlemen concerned is being kept in touch:

Good luck to you Tul Bahadur Pun VC, I have emailed my MP plus all the contacts given on this site.

YesTAM
29th May 2007, 00:10
Unashamedly bumped.

Tigs2
29th May 2007, 00:27
YesTam
For goodness sake do not be ashamed. There are only two threads on this forum that affect mens lives, and this is one of them. Keeping this at the top is an honerable thing...... Thank you !!! All of the other threads are horse **** in comparison.l Mr Pun VC we will bring you home if that is your desire!!

larssnowpharter
29th May 2007, 03:55
I received this from the Ambassador in Nepal:

Many thanks for your email and for your interest in this matter.

I understand that this case and the wider question of what constitutes links with the UK for Gurkha immigration purposes is to be referred to the appropriate authorities in London for their consideration.

Yours Sincerely

Richard Beeson
HM Consul
British Embassy
Kathmandu

Buck passing comes to mind.

Or is this an attempt to link this case to the wider case of allowing immigration rights to Gurkhas in the hope that delay wil - alas, inevitably - allow the problem to disappear?

Roland Pulfrew
29th May 2007, 09:06
Another MP to add to the list. I have e-mailed my MP David Lidington (Con) Aylesbury asking for action. I won't hold my breath on a reply though, aren't they all on more leave?

Also asked (out of pure devilment:E) whether he had voted against the Bill exempting MPs from the FOI Act.

Old Ned
29th May 2007, 09:40
Tigs 2,

Well done indeed. I have tried to start a petition on Bliar's website, but no luck. It says there already is one re Pun VC. Old Ned couldn't find it though.

Anybody else find one?

MadsDad
29th May 2007, 10:27
And another MP for the list, Ian Liddell-Grainger.

Just got a reply that he will be putting down questions when the house returns.

timex
29th May 2007, 10:27
Found this earlier on another Mil forum............

His courage in the face of almost certain death earned him the Victoria Cross.
Tul Bahadur Pun single-handedly stormed Japanese machine-gun positions during the Second World War.

The Gurkha’s extraordinary act of valour won him royal admirers and he was invited to the Queen’s Coronation and had tea with the Queen Mother. Old soldier: 84-year old Tul Bahadur Pun, who earned his VC in Burma on June 23, 1944, after almost all his comrades were wiped out, is being denied entry Yet, despite his illustrious record, his application to live in Britain has been refused. The old soldier was told: "You have failed to demonstrate that you have strong ties with the UK."

Lawyers acting for Mr Pun, 84, along with 2,000 former Gurkhas, will appeal before the immigration courts in London in August. Mr Pun, who has a number of serious health problems, must hope he can survive the intervening months in his home in Nepal.
He has a heart condition, poor eyesight, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure and he requires daily medication – which is not always available where he lives. Young hero: Tul in 1953, nine years after he won the VC

Mr Pun, who receives a £132-amonth Army pension, wants to move here because of his health. However, among the reasons officials gave for refusing his plea was that he had "not produced satisfactory evidence" that he had a "chronic or long-term medical condition", and that treatment here would significantly improve his quality of life. "I have served the UK with the utmost loyalty and to be treated in this way is appalling," he said. "I take a substantial amount of medication daily. There is not always a constant supply. "There are no doctors or nurses, no medical outposts. "I wish to settle in the UK to have better access to medication, care and support." He has to travel from his mountain home to the Gurkha camp at Pokhara once a month to collect his pension.

It involves a day’s walk and he has to be carried in a basket by several men. Mr Pun earned his VC in Burma on June 23, 1944, after almost all his comrades were wiped out. He seized a Bren Gun and, firing from the hip and running through ankle-deep mud, he ignored Japanese fire to storm machine gun positions.

His official citation read: "His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring and beyond praise." His Ealing-based solicitor Martin Howe said former Gurkhas such as Mr Pun have to show "strong reasons" – which can include medical needs and family ties – why they should be allowed into the UK.
He criticised Government officials in Nepal for being "too formulaic" in their approach. "They don’t take into account the dignity and valour of these people," he added. "This man was prepared to lay down his life in defence of Britain." In Burma the Gurkhas fought with the special forces group known as the Chindits. Major Neville Hogan, chairman of the Chindits Old Comrades Association, said: "I can’t think of a braver soldier who served the British Crown. I have met him three or four times.

"The decision to refuse him entry is an absolute bloody disgrace. He should be sent to an army hospital or a home and given VIP treatment." The Home Office said an independent immigration judge had powers of discretion on appeals from applicants such as Mr Pun.

shaun

OCCWMF
29th May 2007, 11:06
If that is below the minimum entry standard I reckon most of us should be deported. Hopefully the Ghurka brass now serving have put their full weight behind this. Anything less will hit the morale and desire to fight of those currently in the regiment, not to mention those yet to join. It is essential that service of this magnitude is recognised by more than medals. It also makes us look like heartless, penny pinching beurocrats on the world stage.:mad:

CaptainFillosan
29th May 2007, 11:35
Daily Mail today.

It is good to see that Lord Ashcroft that doyen of the Victoria Cross, he owns over 150 of them! Has joined in the "despicable decision" to keep Mr Pun from coming to the UK. He has the clout and you can be sure he will use it.

Also, it was alleged in a newspaper over the weekend that "an officer" visited Mr Pun a good few years ago with a firm request to hand over his VC "for safekeeping" which was then placed in a museum in Hong Kong for a while. He was paid £500 for it!

It is now believed to be in the Gurkha museum in Winchester, the one whose curator is alleged to have refused to allow Mr Pun to wear it before he dies.

That medal must be worth over £1m now and the paltry amount given was nothing more than theft in my view. Just think what Mr Pun could do with half of that sum!

I have written to the curator, my MP, Mr Liam Byrne and others.

This disgrace must be bought to an end immediately and an aircraft dispatched to Nepal to bring back this illustrious person and thus stop us all thinking that the spongers from the eastern European countries (and others) get their 'rights' while Mr Pun cannot get his.

His LINKS to this country are unbreakable and the prats who made the stupid decision to decline his wish to receive medical attention here should be summarily dismissed.

FantomZorbin
29th May 2007, 11:49
How typical ... not one mention of this appalling situation on MoD Oracle :*

sarboy w****r
29th May 2007, 15:01
If you haven't already done so, please consider using http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ to determine who your MP is, and let them know how you feel. You can write an email to your MP using a link from this site.

I enclose my letter to the Rt Hon James Arbuthnot, my MP, for reference...

Dear Mr Arbuthnot,

I am writing to you in your capacity as my Member of Parliament in order to draw your attention to the situation of Mr Tul Bahadur Pun, who on 23 June 1944 was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions at Mogaung, Burma, whilst fighting against the Japanese. You may be aware that he has recently applied to emigrate to the UK because his failing health means that he is unable to receive the specialist health care that he requires in Nepal. This application was turned down due to his having "failed to demonstrate strong ties with the UK".

I am a serving Officer in the Royal Air Force, who has served in both Iraq and Afghanistan and who voted for you at the last election, and I am disgusted that my government has treated so shabbily someone who so obviously warrants our eternal gratitude and respect. If ever there was someone whose case history demanded and deserved a review, I suggest it is Mr Pun. This decision is a disgrace; I strongly and humbly beseech you to raise Mr Pun's situation as a Parliamentary Question at the earliest possible opportunity, and for you to use your political influence as the Chairman of the Defence Committee to help overturn this demonstrably unjust decision immediately.

Mr Pun is elderly and deserves our assistance now - please help us show him and the rest of the country that "loyalty, courage and good conduct" are not just idle words on my RAF Commissioning Scroll, but are traits that should be admired and rewarded, and that are manifestly embodied in Mr Pun's actions.

Yours sincerely,

etc etc

This decision can be rescinded, but only if we all get involved and take a stand. Spend 5 minutes now to write to your MP!

Mightycrewseven
29th May 2007, 15:27
Just E-mailed my MP - Quentin Davies (Con) Grantham and Stamford

Fingers Crossed

ragpacker
29th May 2007, 15:57
Joan Humble (Lab, Blackpool Nth & Fleetwood) e-mailed. Good work all, nice to see.

snapper41
29th May 2007, 16:01
Henry Bellingham (Con), MP for West Norfolk, duly e-mailed. I've asked him to take the matter up with the Minister for Immigration & Asylum.

Tigs2
29th May 2007, 16:10
Just recieved a reply from Jeremy Clarksons PA. As soon as he arrives home she will be forcing him to sit down, read and digest the matter. She thinks this could rile him 'just a little bit':ok::ok:

An interesting little clip from Ming Campell. The relevant stuff starts at 20 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9wHM1E2X1k

Its not party political, its from his Blog i think.

grow45
29th May 2007, 16:42
Merely a civilian but absolutely outraged at this. E mails sent to relevant people and my MP.

I believe Joanna Lumley's father was an Officer in a Gurkha Regiment and she still takes an interest in their welfare. Can't find contact details for her agent but if anybody knows how to contact her she might be able to provide some public support.

g45

forget
29th May 2007, 16:46
It's your idea grow 45, go for it-

David Higham Associates
5-8 Lower John Street
Golden Square
London W1F 9HA

Switchboard: 020 7434 5900
Fax: 020 7437 1072
Email: [email protected]

Brian Dixon
29th May 2007, 16:49
Tigs,
Reply from Sir George Young MP was that he understands the sense of injustice and would write more to me soon. When the letter arrives, I shall let you know the content.

E-mail reply from James Arbuthnot MP was as follows:
"How extraordinary. One would have thought that winning the VC fighting for the British would establish fairly strong ties with the UK. I shall pursue it – thank you for bringing it to my attention."

I'll keep you updated with any further replies received.
Good luck.
Brian

Wilders85
29th May 2007, 16:50
Chris McCafferty MP for Calder Valley emailed and replied stating:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

This is just a note to acknowledge receipt and to let you know that I have made representations to the Secretary of State for the Home Office.

I will be in touch again as soon as I receive a reply.

Yours sincerely,

Chris McCafferty MP"

Also Ex Gurkha Officers I know in Hong Kong have been advised and are actioning through their association.

Tigs2
29th May 2007, 17:03
Old Ned
The link you are looking for is
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

Samuraimatt

BigBlueCar

I think Jezza's pa was considering going to B&Q to get some chain and padlocks to hold him down while he reads about this:}

Safeware
29th May 2007, 17:26
It's hard to say which is more infuriating, this or Cpl Lock's story.

Anyway, given that this country had no right to expect someone from a far off land to give such committment, I think it shameless to treat him so poorly in his hour of need. Have also attempted to contact Mr Clarkson :) and am about to sign up to the petition.

sw

PPRuNeUser0139
29th May 2007, 18:07
Just emailed Bill Wiggin (Con) Leominster.
Will publish his response as soon as he sends it.

sv

Old Ned
29th May 2007, 18:09
Tigs 2,

Also Edward Leigh MP for Gainsborough (Lincs), who as Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee may well prod the right Labour lard a*s.

Old Ned
29th May 2007, 18:59
Thought I had your attention. :D:D:D

Following website worth a look www.victoriacross.org.uk/bballman.htm (http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/bballman.htm) no mention of the "stealing" of this hero's medal though.

Perhaps Joanna L may wish to comment!!

Seems Mr Pun is really Honarary Lieutenant Pun!

sonoftigs2
29th May 2007, 19:38
Hello everyone,
Well, you may have guessed from my handle, i am in fact Son of Tigs 2!! So, however old he's had you all believe he is, it's all lies...
I've been following this thread after learning about it all over the weekend from said elder-tigs, and have felt compelled to sign up and try to make a contribution! I've got 8 hours logged towards a PPL too, so I'm not a total aviation ludite! (but almost).
So, for a start i've joined the facebook suppot group (that silly web site all us 'kids' are on, and I have written to our MP in Manchester, Graham Stringer, with one of the example letters I found as follows:
Dear Graham Stringer,
Reference: Tul Bahadur Pun VC
I would be grateful if you'd ask a question of the Home Secretary
regarding the reported refusal of the government to grant Mr. Pun
permission to live in Britain because he has "failed to demonstrate
that [you] have strong ties with the UK" and because 'he had "not
produced satisfactory evidence" that he had a "chronic or long term
medical condition" and that treatment here would significantly improve
his quality of life', despite having heart condition, poor eyesight,
asthma, diabetes and high blood pressure which require daily
medication.
(Source
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=457426&in_page_id=1811).
I'm aware that the Daily Mail isn't the most solid of sources and
perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye, but with many
'dubious' immigration requests being granted, it seems grotesquely
unfair that a Victoria Cross winner has been refused a home by the
country he was willing to defend with his life.
As Mr. Pun's life potentially hangs in the balance due to his
ill-health, I would request that this question be raised without delay
and the decision to refuse permission to allow this hero entry to the
UK be reversed.
For your information, please find below the citation for Tul Bahadur
Pun's VC:
[citation here]
I very much look forward to you response,
bla bla bla...
I'll let you all know when I get any communication back from him and then maybe one of you can add the MP to the list being compiled on the AARSE web site?

MReyn24050
29th May 2007, 20:03
Just emailed Vernon Coaker (Lab) Gedling who is an Under-Secretary of State for the Home Office.
Will publish his response if he sends one.

Rigchick
29th May 2007, 20:56
Boing!!! Sent the petition link to everyone in my address book and signed it myself.

How the people that make these decisions can actually sleep at night is beyond me. Let him in NOW!!!!:mad:

grow45
29th May 2007, 22:02
Message sent via her agent advising of Mr Pun's plight simply asking that she uses any opportunity which might arise to publicise it. Will report back any response.

g45

TMJ
29th May 2007, 22:09
Also Edward Leigh MP for Gainsborough (Lincs), who as Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee may well prod the right Labour lard a*s.
Mr Leigh was, once upon a time, president of the Durham Union Society; I only bring this up because another DUS past-president is the current CGS, General Dannatt. While they were born in the same year, I am not shure whether they were contemporaries at Durham, as I seem to recall hearing that the General did Sandhurst before university.
Anyway, if they were contemporaries I hope they keep in reasonably good touch, as I can't see the head of the Army not being as outraged by this as the rest of us and bringing whatever influence he has to bear.

Tigs2
29th May 2007, 22:09
grow45 Nice one:ok:

The solicitors handling this case have just requested on ARRSE that the following be sent out to the various forums supporting this campaign.

Dear All

My firm is acting for Mr Tul Bahadur Pun VC (Gurkha Rifles).

We are pulling out all the stops to correct the outrage directed toward this 84 year-old man. However, we could not do this without you all. I am personally trying to read several forums at once, but it is impossible to post on them all. I have asked my friends at ARRSERs (The Army Rumour Service), who are already signed up on your forums, to kindly post this and to thank you for all for what you are doing for my client.

The British public are personally, individually, and collectively, repaying the debt this man (one of the "Bravest of the Brave") is owed by our country.

This is coming from the bottom up. You, the public are leading the politicians and civil servants, and you are the ones righting the wrong which is being done in our name.

My client is fully aware of all the support you have given him. I soon hope you will soon see a photo from him, which he wanted us to send back to the UK, to say that he knows you, the British public, are on his side (even though he is very ill, he got out of bed to make sure that you good people knew that he felt you all "had his back").

Please support our campaign. Petition and email us at: www.vchero.co.uk . All email will go in front of the Immigration Judge considering this case. However, you must bombard your MP and the Government (particularly the Asylum & Immigration Minister, Liam Byrne) about the continuing snub to the Gurkhas who have fought and spilt blood for our country. Rejecting a VC is, sadly, only the icing on their very ugly cake!

Many, many thanks.

Kind regards

Kieran O'Rourke
Howe & Co Solicitors
Ealing, London

Keep the pressure up, there are over 8700 signatories on the petition site.:ok::ok: If you read this, please sign the petition.

liddle
30th May 2007, 04:56
Excuse the intrusion, but wondered if you might help...........my name's Rod Liddle, a journalist - I wrote a piece about Gurkha Pun in the Sunday Times comment section. Someone posting on here listed a whole bunch of MPs he/she had contacted regarding this story, but I can't find the post. I'd just like to know if any response has been given by any of them - I'm trying to do a follow up for The Spectator. Sorry to be so useless at navigating around your board: good job I'm not a pilot.

All complicated by the fact that I'm on holiday in Malaysia and my deadline is but a few hours away. Any help gratefully received.

Gweedo
30th May 2007, 05:18
Rod, Post number 113.
Here it is anyway:
Lead:
Senior Partner, Martin Howe - Howe & Co.
Kieran O'Rourke - Howe & Co Solicitors email: k.orourke @ howe.co.uk
Discussion Forums:
PPRuNe
Rum Ration
Rear Party
RAF Trade website,RAF Armourers: www.bombheadsworld.co.uk/
E-Goat
www.bombheadsworld.co....&t=164
MoD Oracle Forums
Channel Four News Forum
Facebook profile:
www.facebook.com/group...2367521962
!! If your kids use MySpace, Facebook - now is the perfect time to see the power of kids on the internet !!
Link to thread page with PsyWar.Org's Poster to print and display:
www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/...t=375.html
British Armed Forces Federation (BAFF)
Media Articles or websites:
Gurkha Petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/
Emails to judge hearing appeal:
www.vchero.co.uk/
www.chindits.info/Awards/VCPun.html
www.thegurkhamuseum.co...act_us.cfm
www.brigadeofgurkhas.co.uk/
www.dailymail.co.uk/pa...ge_id=1811
www.dailyindia.com/sho...urkha-hero
www.mailonsunday.co.uk...1&ct=5
www.timesonline.co.uk/...845263.ece
www.thesun.co.uk/artic...27,00.html
www.thisislondon.co.uk...e+has+no+s
trong+ties+with+UK'/article.do
BBC News 24 - news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4995300.stm
Radio 5 Live phone in Saturday 26 May - evening - Stephen Nolan. www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive...olan.shtml
Jon Gaunt from Talksport has got the story on his website:
www2.talksport.net/pre..._id=100050
Forces Organisations:
Veterans Agency
Public Figures:
The office of HM Queen Elizabeth II
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II
email address: www.royal.gov.uk/outpu...e4835.asp#
HRH The Prince of Wales
The Viscount Slim
Dr Andrew Hall OBE, HM Ambassador, British Embassy Kathmandu email: britemb @ wlink.com.np
Richard Beeson
MP's contacted (with responses):
www.theyworkforyou.com/
MP for Aberdeen
Michael Howard
Lady Hermon MLA
Steven Webb, the MP for Northavon
Fiona Mactaggart
Julian Brazier MP
Paul Flynn, Labour chappie for Newport West
Norman Lamb MP Sheepshagging North or where ever the hell I am
Iris Robinson
Rev Ian Paisley
Francis Maude MP
Micheal Fabricant
Humfrey Malins MP
Greg Clark (Con)
Andrew Rosindale
Mark Field MP
reg empey (uup)
peter robinson (dup)
Jeremy Hunt MP
John Maples (Conservative)
Bill Olner (Labour)
MP Michael Ancram (hard copy letter)
Gerald Howarth MP (Conservative MP Aldershot) ack 15 mins later.
Linda Gilroy - MP for Sutton, Plymouth?
Celia Barlow MP for Hove (Lab)
James Duddridge - Tory MP for Rochford and Southend East
MP for Salisbury, Robert Key
Siobhan McDonagh MP for Mitcham & Morden
Steven Webb MP
Fiona Mactaggart (Lab)
George Galloway
Alan Ried MP
john reid
David Ammes MP
Tom Watson MP
Russell Brown MP
Derek Twigg MP
Menzies Campbell
Anthony Blair PM
Jeffrey M Donaldson MP DUP for Lagan Valley
Charlie Kennady
Sarah Mccarthy-Fry MP Portsmouth North
Pete Wishart MP
Martin Salter MP for Reading West
Mark Field MP
Jim Fitzpatrick MP - Ack by email.
Ben Bradshaw (Lab)
Alan Duncan MP
Alasdair McDonnell, Belfast South (SDLP)
David Wright (Lab)
Tony Cunningham MP (Lab)
David Cameron MP
Boris Johnson MP
Gavin Strang MP
Heyes ?
Paul Burstow MP
Alex Salmond, First Minister
Annabel Goldie
Sir George Young MP (ack by email)
Lembit Öpik
Angus Macneil MP (replied in mins)
Mark Lancaster TD MP (replied 01:30 - top man)!
Nick Harvey MP
Bob Russell MP
Willie Rennie MP
Media Out:
www.mediauk.com/
- TV
BBC News 24
Sky News
ITV News
C4 News
ITN newsdesk
BFBS NI
Scottish TV News
- Radio
Christian O'Connell of Virgin Radio
Jeremy Vine @ Radio 2
Neil Pringle at BBC Radio Southern Counties Sussex Breakshow
Radio Ulster
96.4 The Eagle - Guildford
SGR FM
Town 102 FM
Radio Devon
- Newspaper
Mick Smith of the Times
Audrey Gillan (Guardian)
Aberdeen Press and Journal
- Internet
"Suggest a Story" link on the BBC News website
www.craigmurray.co.uk/
Home Office email:
www.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact-us

BEagle
30th May 2007, 06:08
And Rod, you fellow Sunday Times columnist, Jeremy Clarkson.

liddle
30th May 2007, 06:31
Huge thanks for that. This is building up a bit of momentum.......

Mightycrewseven
30th May 2007, 06:40
FYI, the above list of MPs that Gweedo has posted is slightly out of date. You can add at least another half dozen names to that list since the original post (#113). Just scroll through the pages and find the names of the MPs contacted since.

Regards

M7 :cool:

PPRuNeUser0139
30th May 2007, 07:32
Just received this from Bill Wiggin MP:

"You are right, thank you for drawing this to my attention. I will send
you everything that I get back from the Government.
Bill Wiggin MP
Shadow Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries"

Dave Unwin
30th May 2007, 08:09
Have just emailed my MP, Quentin Davies. Like so many others on this forum, I simply cannot believe the way this man is being treated. My grandfather was a professional soldier (Royal Engineers) from 1922 to 1954. His war started in France in 1940 and finished in Burma in 1945. I once asked him who - in his professional opinion - were the best soldiers in the British Army. He replied that the Gurkhas were the best soldiers in any army.

Mightycrewseven
30th May 2007, 08:21
Dave

Already emailed Quentin Davies yesterday (see my earlier thread). Have not yet had a reply.

Dave Unwin
30th May 2007, 08:26
OK M7. I met him once and he seemed OK. Let's see if we get a response.

Old Ned
30th May 2007, 08:38
V interested to see Rod Liddle's post. This great moral rock keeps rolling along. We all hope and pray that this bunch of :mad:, who claim to govern us will allow Mr Pun into the UK, but when they do they will undoubtedly say "Didn't we do well?". There will be no apology for the dreadful refusal in the first place and no acknowledgement of the stress put on this brave old man.

We must not forget all other ghurkas though, they are treated like s**t, even by the army, despite giving their all for this country. They only recently got decent pensions for God's sake! I know that the Argentinians were a little (!) concerned had Ghurkas might be deployed on the FI 25 years ago (how time flies).

Next job is to reunite Mr Pun with his medal when he gets here!

I feel strongly about this!

Roland Pulfrew
30th May 2007, 08:57
Ladies and Gents

Just a quick, maybe obvious one, but if you intend to e-mail your MP then remember to include your home address in the e-mail. I have had a reply from my MPs office but as I forgot to include my snail mail address they have asked for proof that he is in fact my MP!! :O

Apparently it is a parliamentary requirement that MPs only deal with their own constituents letters/e-mail!! :}

And Boiinng

ScotsmanCalledPaddy
30th May 2007, 09:26
Just had a reply from Robert Key MP...

Hello, Patrick. I share your anger. This is not the end of the story.
Good wishes from Robert Key.

fabs
30th May 2007, 09:35
Another MP to add to the list - Mr Paul Truswell MP for Pudsey!

DeKd
30th May 2007, 09:59
Linda Gilroy, Labour MP for Sutton, Plymouth has received a letter - if she is interested???

xraf
30th May 2007, 10:51
Just emailed Hazel Blears. One of the MPs for Manchester and Minister of the Crown!

I'm proud of PPRUNERs today!:D

Xraf:ok:

Tigs2
30th May 2007, 10:53
Howes and Co the solicitors dealing with this, got these photos yesterday.

Mr Pun is very unwell, but wanted to say thank you for all the support that he has recieved from everyone. A fit young man with a digital camera was duly dispatched to run up to 4000m. Mr Pun is holding a copy of a poster that one of the lads on ARRSE designed three days ago.

http://album.phototrance.co.uk/album/296999#imageID=17955278

Keep up the pressure:ok::ok::ok:

matty31
30th May 2007, 11:08
Have emailed Liam Fox as he's my MP and recieved this reply.
"Thank you. Your email has been sent on to Mark Harper MP who deals with matters regarding veterans.
Ione Douglas (Mrs)
P/A to Dr Liam Fox MP
Shadow Defence Secretary
Cheers Matt

Old Ned
30th May 2007, 11:11
Tigs 2

VMT for the pics. Please Mr Pun stay well enough to be brought to the UK!

xraf
30th May 2007, 11:12
Add Ian Stewart, MP, Rt Hon Ian McCartney, and Buckingham Palace to the list.

Get the folks around you interested too, we've all got an MP!

Xraf:ok:

Polikarpov
30th May 2007, 11:17
Can now add John Butterfill (Con, Bournemouth West) to the list.

sycamore
30th May 2007, 11:28
E-mailed Bernard Jenkin- Shadow Defence Sec over the week-end...awaiting reply. Syc

Tigs2
30th May 2007, 11:38
Rod Liddle

Firstly thanks for your support. There are sixty pages of very interesting info on the site frequented by our pals in Green. For latest developments i guess pages 40 onwards will do you. Thanks again.:ok::ok:

http://www.arrse.com/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=66783/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=855.html

dum_my
30th May 2007, 11:56
Rod Liddle's welcome interest in Gurkha Pun VC reminded me that Rod is a former Editor of the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

Please email the Today programme here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/contact/

The more times the better.

RatherBeFlying
30th May 2007, 12:00
That first picture of Mr. Pun reminds me of my mother in her last days.

The ministers and MPs need to have that picture shoved in their faces.

I pray that he holds on long enough to make it to the Chelsea Hospital to get proper medical care -- even though it is obvious that the locals are doing their best with what little they have in one of the poorest countries on Earth.

kluge
30th May 2007, 12:07
Petition signed.
Notice spread to Gurkha contacts in HK. Those here in 97 will remember how our Govt left them high and dry.

Davey Emcee
30th May 2007, 12:08
Reply from my MP
Thank you for your email and I have received a great many in similar vein. I shall do all I can to get justice for this man and I thank you for writing.
Kind regards
Colin Breed
Member of Parliament for South East Cornwall
Liberal Democrat Treasury Spokesman

woodring
30th May 2007, 12:09
I Emailed my MP David Cameron and recieved a very prompt reply from his office.He has already contacted the Home Secretary about this matter and has promised to keep in touch.
I hope he takes this opportunity to question this pathetic excuse for a government in depth, about it's commitment and obligations to those who serve in it's Armed Services.

sycamore
30th May 2007, 12:10
Perhaps `Danny..and the Moderators`, that well-known `Old` rock -group could publicise the Petition on a few of the other well-travelled Forums...as a sort of `VC Aid`.... might be worth a Knighthood,..! Syc..:ok:

Ann Oyd
30th May 2007, 12:35
Have recieved a letter back from Keith Simpson MP (Con) Mid Norfolk to my email 48 hrs ago. He is a avid military historian and agreed that Gurkhas are the finest soldiers about. He has forwarded my email to the Home secretary and will reply again as soon as he hears back from the skiving low life :mad: scum of that department (my words not his!!!).

JOE-FBS
30th May 2007, 12:37
As I cannot find any reference to this story on the BBC News web site (Big Brother is there, of course), I have tried to bring it to notice via the "Have Your Say" page. I don't know if more people doing this will help but the page is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2804227.stm

cornish-stormrider
30th May 2007, 13:13
Can we not get someone with a pair of brass balls over in AT to arrange a slight detour on the way back on the afghan express??

It wouldn't take much and if the crew sold their story to the tabloids it would cover the fuel and some medical care .......

Chugalug2
30th May 2007, 13:39
JoeFBS wrote: As I cannot find any reference to this story on the BBC News web site (Big Brother is there, of course),

Doesn't come as a big surprise I'm afraid, as the "British Military" are themselves seen as an Alien Force by the Beeb Agenda Scribblers. Foreign troops that constitute a part of the British Military are therefore doubly alien. Until the British Broadcasting Corporation is itself universally seen as now alien to traditional British values, I suggest you look for such reports in other sections of the News Media. Parts that the Beeb despises would be a good place to start, you know the sort: Channel Four News, Sky News, the Daily Mail, etc.
Let him in!

SpotterFC
30th May 2007, 14:10
Petition signed and info also placed on the Fighter Control Association web site.

A Sayers
30th May 2007, 14:49
The great thing about proportional representation is that I can (and have) emailed all my MSP's
John Swinny SNP
Elizabeth Smith Conservative
Claire Baker Labour
Richard Simpson Labour
Murdo Fraser Conservative
Ted Brocklebank Conservative
John Park Labour
Christopher Harvie SNP

Old Ned
30th May 2007, 15:05
Are there any senior army types who have been known to swan about in ghurka uniform? It seems that Letters to the Times from a Gen Hardly-Worthit may raise a few eyebrows and these chaps do have many contacts. I suppose for pension reasons CDS, CGS, CAS and The First Sea Lord are keeping shtum.

Have followd Joe-FBS advice and emailed the BEEB. Told them I was a rabid lefty who hated the establishment (not true of course) but that should get their attention!!

If and when the Mr Pun VC situation is sorted, one way or another, could we maintain the momentum for all ghurkas please?

Old Ned (older by the minute)

Tigs2
30th May 2007, 15:42
Old Ned
The sad thing is mate that

I suppose for pension reasons CDS, CGS, CAS and The First Sea Lord are keeping shtum.

Is really no excuse on their part. Once you get to 3 * my understanding is you automatically recieve a 100% pension for the rest of your days, even if you cause trouble. These guys should be causing holy hell about this. Maybe as their pension is safe, they worry about their knighthoods. Good job Mr Pun was a different character eh!

dum_my
30th May 2007, 16:04
The Governor of the Chelsea Hospital is General (Retd) the Lord Walker.

He must be the same Gen Walker who was CDS from May 03 to Apr 06, and was CGS before that.

A Sayers
30th May 2007, 16:19
Sir.

I am writing in support of Mr Pun VC who is appealing against the decision to refuse him admission/residency of this country. I understand the reason for your decision is that Mr Pun VC has not shown himself to have strong links with this country. I request you exercise your discretion and redress this gross miscarriage of justice.

A VC holder has already demonstrated to excess his commitment to the way of life, values and beliefs that we hold dear in the UK. But for the likes of Mr Pun VC we would not be in a position to enjoy these privilidges. Mr Pun VC's service to this country over many years amounts to the stongest possible link. That the gentleman should also be prepared to take action that would almost certainly result in the loss of his life in order to support our interests is, I would suggest, the strongest link humanly possible. In contrast individuals who hold values abhorent to our varied cultures and beliefs are routinely allowed the right of residency. Mr Pun VC and his fellow Gurkha's embody the best in British multi-culturalism. To deny him entry is an abuse of the intent of the law.

Each year our government supposedly subscribes to the belief:

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

It would be a fitting tribute that the government should remember. Based upon the decision you have taken it would appear that government memories are short. Admitting Mr Pun VC would be an act not only of justice, but also recognition of the sacrifice of millions like him. Not just the vast number of Gurkha casualties, but the dead of all OUR forces, including more recent losses. To reject Mr Pun VC's appeal would be a slap in the face for all our service personel, especialy those now on active service.

I hope that you will decide in Mr Pun VC's favour and allow the values of integrity, honour, courage and justice to be seen to exist within the British government. Whatever we can do for Mr Pun VC in his hour of need, it cannot compare with the 'Valour' he was willing to display in the interests of us all.

Yours aye

Andrew Sayers

Exrigger
30th May 2007, 16:26
I have received a response from my MP, apparently representation has been made to the Minister at the Ministry of Defence about our disgust over the treatment of Mr Pun VC, I also added a bit about our own service personnel who are currently not getting the medical support they should, so that will fall on deaf ears there then.

Brian Dixon
30th May 2007, 16:46
Tigs,
looking at the Royal Hospital Chelsea website ( http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/home.asp ), the entry criteria seems quite straight forward:

Becoming and In-Pensioner
To be eligible for admission as an In-Pensioner, a candidate must be a former non-commissioned officer or soldier of the British Army who is:
1. In receipt of an Army Service or War Disability Pension for Army Service.
2. Normally 65 years of age or over; exceptionally a candidate may be admitted under this age if he is suffering from a seriously disabling, incurable but not immediately life-threatening condition requiring long-term care
3. Free from any obligation to support a partner or family
Also eligible for admission are any former officers of the British Army who meet the criteria provided they served for at least 12 years in the ranks before obtaining a commission or if they were awarded a disablement pension while serving in the ranks.

Why not get the legal team to submit an application on Mr Pun's behalf, and see what the response from the hospital is?

Just a thought.

With much respect for your hard work so far.
Brian

fireflybob
30th May 2007, 16:54
I share the indignation expressed by all - email sent to my MP and petition signed.

matkat
30th May 2007, 20:03
Absolutely disgusting way to treat this Hero, TBH this government has made Me ashamed but nothing like I feel now, not anger but deep dismay that We have given someone (sorry maybe thats not the right term) the power to treat this exceptional Man in this way, however it was should be routed out sacked and sent somewhere unpleasant as a reward.

JOE-FBS
30th May 2007, 21:37
A mate of mine has suggested this as a relevant direct contact, the Entry Clearance Officer in Nepal

[email protected] ([email protected])

Hoots
30th May 2007, 21:57
Petition signed, Angus Robertson MP e-mailed.

This country really is stooping to new depths.

Mr Pun is now in his hour of need. He demonstrated the highest values and bravery in the service of this country, it is now payback time!!!

Not only should he be allowed entry immediately, but should also have an apology from the highest levels.

Solid Rust Twotter
31st May 2007, 09:16
While W/O Pun is in desperate need, your PM is in my neck of the woods hobnobbing with those who openly support Mad Bob. The priorities are seriously out of kilter and unless something is done you'll continue spiralling ever closer to the drain. How can someone of W/O Pun's calibre be judged unworthy by those spineless sycophantic jellyfish we allow to regulate our lives to our detriment? They lack the worth even to lick clean the floor upon which W/O Pun walks.:ugh::*

Old Ned
31st May 2007, 09:21
Tigs2,

I hear you, but I was under the impression it was only Marshals (5*) who never retired (eg, lived out their days on full pay). 5* rank was binned to fall in line with NATO (No Action Talk Only) I believe.

I think the current Service heads are all knighted so perhaps it is the House of Lords (while it is still there) they are aiming for and not saying anyting to upset the Labour Loons.

Old Ned

Old Ned
31st May 2007, 09:24
Now, now Solid Rust Trotter, say what you mean. (Good Show Sir):D:D

fabs
31st May 2007, 09:52
Reply from my MP
Dear Flight Lieutenant
Thank you for your e-mail. I am aware of Tul Bahadur Pun issue and have written to Tony Blair, John Reid and Des Browne with my views supporting the campaign.
Regards
Paul Truswell

forget
31st May 2007, 10:11
Daily Mirror today :ok:

JOANNA LUMLEY JOINS GURKHA FIGHT
EXCLUSIVE: 'GURKHA PUN WAS MY HERO.. HE SAVED DAD'S LIFE'

By Stewart Maclean 31/05/2007
JOANNA Lumley yesterday revealed VC hero Tul Bahadar Pun helped save her father's life - and she demanded he be allowed to live in Britain.

Absolutely Fabulous star Joanna, 61, backed the Mirror's campaign for brave Gurkha Pun, who has been banned from the UK despite collecting the military's highest honour for his heroics in World War Two

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/05/31/joanna-lumley-joins-gurkha-fight-89520-19223807/

TheSmiter
31st May 2007, 10:21
The campaign gathers momentum:

Dear Mr **********-******,
Angus Robertson would like to thank you for your recent e-mail regarding
Mr Tul Balahadar Pun, he too shares your concern and is horrified by the
current circumstances.
Mr Robertson will be in contact with you directly in writing at the
earliest available opportunity.
With best wishes in the meantime,
Carron Anderson

Carron Anderson
Parliamentary Officer to Angus Robertson MP
Shadow Scottish Minister for Defence & Foreign Affairs

Really hope we can do something for this heroic soldier before its too late.

Old Ned
31st May 2007, 12:11
Never thought I'd ever say "Well Done Daily Mirror" :ok::ok:

(JL is lovely though)

JamesA
31st May 2007, 12:37
I, like many of you, was appalled to read of the treatment given to this hero. I think his bravery can only be imagined by most of us.

Not to allow him the treatment he more than deserves is bad enough, but to compound it by not allowing him to wear the medal, shows complete disrespect for the man and his deeds. Were I British, I would be ashamed to admit it. I don't think I want to say I served in the British forces.

When I served in Singapore, a lot of locally enlisted airmen admitted they only joined to get a British passport in return for five years service. I had always thought that this was a standard offer to any foreigner serving in the British forces. I don't know the minimum term the Gurkhas sign on for but, I was always of the impression it was for a lot longer than five years. Therefore, why are they not automatically entitled to receive a passport and entry to Britain?
Unfortunately, as a foreigner, I do not have a British MP to lobby, must try Brussels. Have signed the petition. Perhaps this petition could be coupled to the military hospital one (another disgusting move by the British government).
Perhaps T. Bliar does not want W O 1 Pun to see the state of the NHS.

I imagine the good warrant officer would be welcomed by the Chelsea Pensioners and make a valuable addition to their ranks, as would any other members of the Gurkhas.

Britain needed them, still does. Look after them.

Footnote to TB - Stop cutting their numbers, sign up more of them before somebody else does. Just a thought.

alemaobaiano
31st May 2007, 13:24
My apologies for coming late to this thread.

As an ex-service ex-pat I am truly appalled by the treatment of WO Pun. In an age when it seems as if any unpleasant individual has the right to enter the UK, and pick up every benefit going, this gentleman has been denied entry on the grounds that he doesn't have sufficient links to the country.

I fail to see how being awarded a nations highest gallantry decoration doesn't qualify as sufficient connection. This gentleman risked his life fighting for what some of us thought Britain was about, upholding our values and beliefs. If he is sufficiently British to receive the VC he is sufficiently British to see out his days as a Chelsea Pensioner.

Petitions signed, emails sent. Now let's see if Britain can still show that it is a "great nation" and do the right thing.

JOE-FBS
31st May 2007, 14:56
response from the home office:

[email protected]

Thank you for your email. Your support for Tul Bahadur Pun VC has been
noted and your email will be forwarded to the case file for future
consideration.

Joan Dulieu
PCT

aviate1138
31st May 2007, 15:08
Maybe the NLCB could donate enough to fly WO Pun VC, in comfort to the country he so bravely fought for all those years ago? Somehow I doubt it.

In March 1998 the National Lottery Charities Board gave £220,000 to a farm supplying pigs with underfloor heating, snout-operated showers and snacks in the shape of toys to prevent them becoming bored. The 100% grant was awarded to the Whirlow Farm Trust in Sheffield.

Aviate 1138

cornish-stormrider
31st May 2007, 15:09
Anyone heard from JC on this matter yet. Shame top gear isn't on at the moment, as I bet they would mention it, knowing them they'd try to race each other there to collect Mr Pun.

Has there been any progress at the legal end??

woptb
31st May 2007, 15:30
Hywel Francis MP & HM The Queen contacted,awaiting MP's response.

Green Flash
31st May 2007, 15:33
It's just been on BBC Radio 5Live! An interview with Puns soliciter.
Hello HM Government, this is the world calling, over.

pulse1
31st May 2007, 15:55
It is going to be a feature of PM on BBC Radio4 tonight at 5:00 pm.

Brian Dixon
31st May 2007, 16:30
Excellent broadcast.

Thanks for the heads-up Pulse1

Brian

Ivor Fynn
31st May 2007, 16:32
Post your thoughts here

https://messageboards.sky.com/ThreadView.aspx?ThreadId=619&Category=Politics

Ivor

JOE-FBS
31st May 2007, 16:53
At last from the BBC, a very supportive few minutes on PM around 1730.

forget
31st May 2007, 17:39
You should be able to hear the interview here. Fast forward from start, using Minute buttons, to 00.25.00 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio4/aod.shtml?radio4/pm#

228 OCU
31st May 2007, 18:05
This is in no way anti this thread; hell I've signed, e-mailed and passed the word like everyone else.

So...
I was talking to an old Gurkha friend of mine about this sorry state of affairs this morning, and asking what he thought about it all. To my utter suprise he said he had no sympathy for Tullbahadur Pun, as when the Gurkha's were de-mobbed they had the choice of citizenship in any of the Commonwealth Countries; but most chose to go home. He therefore has no time for those that chose this option and now want to "change their minds".

As I said, I'm pro Pun, but it was very interesting to hear the views of a fellow Gurkha.

If in doubt BANG OUT.

ZH875
31st May 2007, 18:22
At the end of WWII, most people would have been happy to go back to their homeland. Mr Pun VC may have made that decision for all the right reasons.

The problem is not that he wants to change his mind, or that his circumstances have changed, but the disgraceful way in which his access to the country that he almost gave his life for, has been blocked for a stupid pathetic reason.

Yet the government allow many illegal imigrants to stay, they even allow terrorists to stay, yet the government will not look after someone who has made a very valuable contribution to this country, many years ago.

It is simple, He gave for this country, now this country should give for him.

Having looked at the pictures of a frail old man lying on his bed, and then the comparison with the ones that show him holding the poster of support from the boys on ARRSE, just imagine how much of a boost a YES will give him. I hope he survives long enough to get here, and long enough to get the benefit of being here.

ORAC
31st May 2007, 20:14
The Spectator: A VC won’t get you into Britain (http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/features/31346/a-vc-wont-get-you-into-britain.thtml)
The scandal of Gurkha Tulbahadur Pun
Rod Liddle

:D:D:D

uncle peter
31st May 2007, 20:54
Good article Rod and thank you. However, "ashamed" just does not quite cover it. From ARRSE the media interest is gathering pace somewhat, including the BBC sending a camera team out to Nepal (licence money well spent for a change) for a piece on News 24 this Sunday.

What we really need is one of the journos on Blairs farewell junket to pin him down on camera and embarrass the kn#b. I know Boulton is accompanying him, but has lost his balls since marrying one of Blair's inner circle. Does anyone know who is with him from the BBC? It would make an excellent snippet in addition to the piece on News 24...;)

Polikarpov
31st May 2007, 21:59
Belatedly an article appears on the BBC News site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6709561.stm).

No word in response from my MP yet!

woptb
31st May 2007, 22:04
I've had a positive & quick response from my constituency MP.
I will try & contact WO Puns solicitors to assist me in formulating a response to my MP,so he can be as effective as possible in tabling a question.

Dear Mr 'woptb',

Thank you for your email. I will table a Parliamentary Question. In
order for me to progress this case could you give some additional
information.
Where exactly is Mr Pun currently resident, when was he turned down and
do you know whether any other MP has already raised this important
matter? The reason I ask this is to ensure that the Parliamentary
approach is coordinated.

Dr Hywel Francis MP
House of Commons
London
PS: If someone from Howe & Co could PM me or anyone could give me contact details for them I would be most grateful.

November4
1st Jun 2007, 00:47
Petition signed

Given the depth of feeling and the number of MPs who are saying that they will ask questions why does ths case have to wait until Aug before the appeal can be heard - make a decision now! Given the conditions and need for drugs it could be too late by then.

But then making a decision now will take someone with some b&lls to admit that maybe they got it wrong the first time. :mad:

James Gray MP has been sent a letter......

Molesworth
1st Jun 2007, 07:45
Hmmm, nothing from my MP yet. Seems some are more interested than others.

Tigs2
1st Jun 2007, 08:19
Guys
Sorry i have ben out of the loop for 36 hours travelling to the Middle East.

Woptb
I have called Kieran O'rourk from Howes, and he should get in touch with you soon. If you want to pm me with contact details i will pass them to Kieran and the two of you can speak direct.
Tigs

Tigs2
1st Jun 2007, 11:33
Further to my last, i posted the following on ARRSE (that is where there is a major campaign running, with 1300 posts in about 5 days!!!)

OK first things first, as far as i am concerned you are all a bunch of ARRSEr's!! :D :D . I have been travelling to Oman and out of the loop for 36 hours. In that time there has been 31 pages written on ARRSE which i have just had to wade through every single post!! :1:

This is testiment to your fantastic support for Mr Pun VC and my insanity for reading through 31 pages.

Next thing guys (that also includes you DozyBint) is a REALITY CHECK!!
I spoke to Kieran this morning and he was pretty down as there had been a really negative comment on the radio concerning this case. OK short story. I own a company (ex crab pilot)that does loads of different types of training(loads for the mil as well). We have evaluation forms at the end of each course and on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being excellent) we get loads of 4's and 5's. I have personally trained about 8000 people and when i get these glowing reports i just gloss through them and take no notice because they are all 4's and 5's(i.e i have got used to it). About 8 months ago i got a 2 and it knocked me for six!! I started doubting myself until some wise friend said 'mate! what is the problem? one guy thinks you are crap and 7999 think you are **** hot'!!

Get the message?? There will be people who have strong views against all of this, but for a campaign that gets 16000 votes in 5 days (and 31 pages on ARRSE in 36 hours) this is good and top notch. Everyone please keep your chins up, that is what Mr Pun VC did! Stay positive and as Part Time Pongo said 'Stay Focused'

I am in Oman and have just had a high level business meeting with a guy right up at the top over here. I told him about Mr Pun and he has promised to raise the matter personally with the British Ambassador here. I have also put posters in the foyer of the Inter-Continental hotel in Muscat.

I believe that June 23 is the Gurkhas rememberance day at their memorial in London (someone please correct me if i am wrong), i will personally put 500 pounds behind the bar for anyone that pitches up from ARRSE and PPRuNe (and all the other nets). Pub venue to be confirmed but likely to be the 'Moon In The Mall". The reason for this is that at the end of the day, i want to be associated with people like YOU! Who are willing to pull out all the stops when we believe that an injustice is taking place. Frankly, i would be proud to be called your friend.

See you there chaps:ok:

JOE-FBS
1st Jun 2007, 12:25
The BBC, being obessed with what the public find interesting rather than the public interest, has a top five of news stories viewed on its web site. Tul Bahadar Pun was briefly in that top 5 but has now slipped out. Maybe if we keep hitting it, it can get back at the top of the BBC web news pile.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6709561.stm

Tigs2
1st Jun 2007, 12:41
JOE

Thanks
If everyone just clicks on your link for a mo and clicks on the relevant item this will go to the top of the top 5 stories very quickly. I have posted your link on ARRSE, thanks!

woptb
1st Jun 2007, 12:49
Clicking on the link 100 times is soothing in a rather Zen way!

Tigs2
1st Jun 2007, 12:59
Woptb :ok::D:ok:

I am sure Lord Buddah will bless you!

airsound
1st Jun 2007, 15:37
Radio FiveLive has just reported that Liam Byrne has changed his mind, and Mr Pun will be allowed to come here.
Expect him soon, says Mr Solicitor Howe.

Fantastic....... people power at work. Well done Tigs and everyone

airsound

Old Ned
1st Jun 2007, 15:55
Airsound,

Great news. OK, guys next job: Reunite Mr Pun with his medal (even if he did sell(!) it in 1970). The old guy should still be allowed to at least hold and wear it with pride again. It would make a cracking picture (although no doubt Bliar would wish to be in frame too).

Anybody chums with the Ghurka Museum in Winchester?

Old Ned

ScotsmanCalledPaddy
1st Jun 2007, 16:05
:D Best news I've heard for a while

BEagle
1st Jun 2007, 16:08
Try here: http://www.thegurkhamuseum.co.uk/contact_us.cfm

I suggest you ask politely whether he will be reunited with his medal when he comes to the UK..

The VC hero website had 11000 signatures, I understand.

But I wonder whether Someone Who Lives At The End Of The Mall had a word........

Whatever. But the BEST result. I hope that Tulbahadur Pun will be given the VIP treatment he deserves for his journey to the UK - and thereafter!

Brian Dixon
1st Jun 2007, 16:12
Tigs,
if this news is true, very many congratulations to you and your team.

Magnificent effort!

Brian :D:D:D

Chugalug2
1st Jun 2007, 16:16
Old Ned wrote: Reunite Mr Pun with his medal

Fantastic news and congratulations to the tens of thousands who have expressed their outrage at the insult that our government perpetrated on this brave frail old warrior.
WADR ON, I would suggest that the next priority is to get an unambiguous apology from the minister responsible. I understand that would be Mr Liam Byrne, and the appropriate time for that apology would be now! Perhaps it could be conveyed in person to Mr Pun by the official who refused him. He'd better get going right now, as I understand it's a three hour drive, plus a further day climbing the mountain on which Mr Pun resides. Too much to ask? Not too much a journey to expect an 84 year old sick man to make it would seem.
When all that is done, HMG can pay for his airfare and accompanying carer, and accommodation and medical care in the UK. Then reunite him with his VC!
P.S. Well done Pprune, as the only aviation aspect to this story is the flight to the UK to be made by Mr Pun. If HMG had half the common sense shown by our hosts then none of this need have happened!

Gweedo
1st Jun 2007, 16:18
Tigs, I second Brians' comments . Excellent news and thanks for all your work.

I'm raising a beer to Mr Pun VC right now!

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jun 2007, 16:30
Great news!:ok:

Hope he gets a hero's welcome when he arrives. Any politician using this to make hay should also attend, preferably as something on which Mr Pun can wipe his feet when he disembarks.

VC returned to the rightful owner next...:ok:

anotherthing
1st Jun 2007, 16:33
Just read the fantastic news on BBC website - well done Tigs et al.

Unfortunately, the way it has been reported, the words that have come out of Liam Byrnes mouth makes it seem that he is making out that this decision would have come about anyways, regardless of the petition and the streling effort by everyone.

Obviously pure Politico claptrap, but don't expect an apology or an admittance of having made a bad decision from Mr Byrne in the near future.

ORAC
1st Jun 2007, 16:55
How do now ensure he is properly looked after when he arrives, hopefully where there are other Gurkhas? Hopefully not in a council bedsit somewhere in the hinterlands.

(I know he'll speak English etc, but you wouldn't want to leave him surrounded by strangers in an unfamiliar environment.)

StbdD
1st Jun 2007, 16:56
Result!

Next challenges:

- Transport to the UK.
- Proper medical treatment.
- Proper pension (cost of living in UK vs. Nepal).
- Return medal to rightful owner.
- Billeting?
- Make this the standard rather than a one-off?

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jun 2007, 16:59
Absolutely right! No other way. ;):D

And............let it be noted that neither Mr Byrne nor Mr Reid should feel that THEY can take credit for this. They have done what the power of the people want. So be it!

Roland Pulfrew
1st Jun 2007, 17:16
Heard the news on the journey home this evening. Fantastic:D

The right decision (although it should have been the first decision) and a tribute to everyone who has written, petitioned and e-mailed.

Now for a decent retirement in comfort for Mr Pun.

woptb
1st Jun 2007, 18:24
Well done all,in partic Tigs. :D
I shall raise a glass to the return of an old soldier
Aayo Gurkhali

Green Flash
1st Jun 2007, 19:21
I do hope the Royal Hospital at Chelsea are warming up a billet for a hero. Now, I know Lyneham are chin-strapped re Alberts but they are in Afgh which is not a million miles from Nepal. If one can be released for 24 hours to get him as far as, say, Seeb or maybe Karachi then he can travel BA first class back to Blighty. What say you?

Bigwings
1st Jun 2007, 19:21
Indeed, well done to all. Perhaps our illustrious :yuk: leaders should now take a look at the following link, it may give them some idea of the bravery and dedication shown by this regiment.

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/Content/VCHolders.php

Bigwings :ok:

Melchett01
1st Jun 2007, 21:35
Mr Pun VC, welcome to the UK. I hope you are treated in the manner in which you should be.

Mr Byrne, you are an arse. How on earth could a VC winner, serving in HM Forces at the time not have sufficient ties to the UK? I notice in the photo on the BBC website he is wearing a Golden Jubilee medal. Now I know that these were given to all VC holders, but at the time of their instigation, I seem to recall one of Tone's mob stating that they were a recognition of an individual's loyalty to the Queen. So, he is loyal enough to receive a medal, but not to be let in to the country, where as countless illegal immigrants and scroungers are waved through customs in the name of multiculturalism. Go figure.

reacher
2nd Jun 2007, 02:31
Gurka Musem email enquiry sent.

Great result all round. Now to keep the ball rolling!

kokpit
2nd Jun 2007, 19:26
Just up on ARRSE from Kieran:

This is the official Press Release from Mr Pun VC, which I will send to the Press Association and Reuters after it is posted here:-

PRESS STATEMENT BY VICTORIA CROSS HOLDER TUL BAHADUR PUN VC

WHEN I ARRIVE IN THE UK I WILL NOT LEAVE MY GURKHA COMMRADES BEHIND

2 June 2007, Pokhara, Nepal

First of all, I would like to express my deep gratitude to the British people for granting me the privilege to come and live amongst them in a country which I have fought for and love. I am overjoyed to learn that I have finally been allowed the right to settle and live in the UK. I could not sleep last night, as I was so happy with the news that Great Britain would be allowing me to come and get the medical treatment which is so lacking for many veteran Gurkhas in Nepal.

I would also like to make it clear that this victory would not have been made possible without the overwhelming and generous support of the Great British Public; my brothers and sisters in arms in the British Armed Forces both past and present; the Gurkha Army Ex-Servicemen’s Organisation (GAESO); Joanna Lumley; Jay Miller; the British press and media; and my solicitors Howe & Co . I am humbled by the thousands of emails in support of me and the Gurkhas, that continue to flood into the website set up for me: www.vchero.co.uk . I have been moved of the accounts of the very many the telephone calls and letters of support sent by those, who like me, do not have access to computers.

I will never forget the 45,000 Gurkhas killed in battle fighting along side our British friends, nor will I ever forget my British brothers and sisters who have laid-down their lives fighting alongside the Brigade of Gurkhas in numerous theatres of war over the last 200 years. In life it is the greatest honour to be a Gurkha, because it is the greatest honour to serve the British people and our Brigade. When I come to be with the British people, I will do my best to be a credit to Britain and to help the plight of my fellow Victoria Cross winners who live in poverty in Nepal. It is saddening that so many brave men of my Brigade have to rely on charity to get their basic living and health needs.

I do not ask anything of Britain, or its people, save to help me get a little medical care now that I am old. However, I do have one request for your country, a country which I love so much, and that is to ask if your great country can please look at the plight of my veteran Gurkha comrades in arms, and the injustices they continue to face when asking for their rights to come to Britain and the continuing injustice of unequal pensions for those, like me, who have fought for British freedom against the forces of tyranny but happened to have retired from the British Army before 1997.

I never left any of my comrades on the battlefield, British or Gurkha, and I will not abandon my veteran Gurkha comrades now in their hour of need, when I come to live in Great Britain.

From the bottom of my heart, I am deeply touched by the support shown to me by the people of Great Britain, and across the world, and I give you my most solemn thanks.

Sincerely,

Tul Bahadur Pun VC

Pokhara, Nepal

Tigs2
2nd Jun 2007, 20:19
:ok::ok::D:ok:
Thanks for posting that Kokpit. It all brings tears to the eyes. The people that made this happen was you folks! All the mails to MP's and celebs, all the phone calls made to radio stations etc. What has been achieved in such a short time has been nothing short of miraculous. Give yourselves a pat on the back. I will keep you posted on his arrival times etc, in case anyone wants to go and applaud his arrival at Heathrow.
Someone on ARRSE wrote the following, it had me blubbing in a heart beat:{
'But to be truthful, this was a very efficient "Team" operation and some massive players on this forum stepped right up and took the Bren gun straight off Mr Pun VC and said "Hold on old hero, let me run with you this time - you are not alone now!"'
Well done everyone:D:D

ps, i have some more photos of Mr Pun when he was given the news, let me know if you want them and i will pm them.

Brian Dixon
2nd Jun 2007, 20:26
Tigs 2 - yes please.

Kokpit - a very moving post which left me feeling humble..... very humble.

Respect to all.
Brian

airsound
2nd Jun 2007, 20:46
Tigs - Kokpit's and your posts had the beery tears coursing down the seamed old cheeks. I tried to read them out to Mrs airsound, and completely failed....

Bless the old man.

As far as the pictures are concerned - to save you having to pm them to everyone, can you not just post them here? I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

feeling deeply moved, and overjoyed for a fantastic outcome

airsound

Tigs2
2nd Jun 2007, 20:48
Airsound
we have been asked not to put the photos on a public forum until 0900 on Monday as one of the papers wants them. I am happy to pm them.

airsound
2nd Jun 2007, 20:52
Fair enough Tigs - if you can spare the time, please go ahead.....

Don't suppose you can say which paper?

airsound

Tigs2
2nd Jun 2007, 21:20
Think its the Mirror or the Mail. I have pm'd you.